The Bonaire criminal exposed, and it is ........YOU!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After roughly 10 years of diving Bonaire I finally have two (yes TWO )crimes to report

and it was NOT local Bonaire perps, but one or two of you divers that I thought I could trust!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there is a distinct possibility that one of the thieves might be a tech diver you know.

Both incidents involved theft by fellow divers from the gear room in a resort, and not from trucks parked at dive sites.
shakehead.gif

We stayed at Buddy Dive from May 10 to 17, 2014. Buddy is one of several resorts we have used in the past, without complaints, other than an occasional mix up where divers have picked up the wrong wetsuit, fins, etc....
No biggy, and always resolved without rancor. $#it happens.
ne_nau.gif

This time we have experienced two deliberate thefts, and both of these thefts were by divers, which means that the thieves may be sitting next to you on your very next dive, or it may be one of you reading this right now. Scum of the earth that you are, if it is you!
nonononono.gif

One low life wing diver unscrewed the entire inflator hose assembly off of Colleen's new Halcyon travel wing while she had it hanging to dry between dives. I hope you.....nah, I won't say it out loud.
Luckily for Colleen I could pull the inflator off of my own Halcyon so Colleen could continue to dive, as I can pretty much dive anything from a poodle to a BP/W or no buoyancy at all in some set ups. I simply borrowed a Tusa rental BCD from the op whenever she wanted to dive. Buddy Dive was very supportive and outraged by the incident.
The shocker is that a Halcyon is not a very common item on Bonaire, and it is pretty evident that it was a fellow BP/W diver who is the thief, and it could very well be a fellow wing diver that you know, who was on Bonaire last week.

The second theft has already be solved, at least in that the resrt knows who the thief was.
Since whenever Colleen was diving, I was using the rental Tusa BCD that Agusto the dive shop manager at Buddy loaned me, I had rinsed it and left it hanging on the peg in the gear room while I did a shore dive in my own wing. An hour later I was going to dive with Colleen again, so I grabbed the Tusa poodle, and discovered that someone had removed one of the ditch-able weight pockets, and weight from it.
confused.gif

I went to the shop with the loaner BCD, and the girl on the desk exploded, and told me that another diver just ending their week of diving that day had tried to return a rental Tusa with one weight pocket missing. When that diver was told they be charged for the missing item, they said they wanted to look around to see if they could find the pocket, and a few minutes later they returned with pocket (including a 2#) weight in hand.
(apparently they found their lost weight pocket hanging in the gear room..... in the loaner I had just hung up
shakehead.gif
)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To this date, we have never, ever had thefts from a truck at a Bonaire shore dive site, no matter how remote, and I am speaking for a pretty large number of diver I know who have been regular visitors to the island, many who have been there far more than we have.
This lack of dive site theft was true again this year, BUT this year it has become obvious to many of us that there are some of our fellow divers who ARE thieves (who knows, it may very well be one of you, that has from time to time broken into other diver's trucks over the years, allowing those thefts to be blamed on the local Bonaire population to cover for your criminal activities)

But, I find it very, very hard to call thefts like these two incidents this last week "Bonaire crime", since it is extremely obvious that these thieves diver/tourists and not locals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the next time you are at any resort anywhere in the world, or at your local quarry, lake, on a dive boat, or a live aboard, look around you and think.

If you are not the thief, then one of those two thieves may be sitting right there beside you.

If you are one of those thieves, you are beneath scum. You are a disgrace to the fellowship, support and friendship the rest diver community cherishes and shares. If you are not the thief, now you are left wondering which diver around you it is......
shakehead.gif

Someone in our group had his BC stolen while we were eating lunch at Sorobon. We got lucky it wasn't more stolen.

I never keep my gear in a gear room like they have at Buddy. As a native NY'er, I have an inherent distrust of my fellow man.

What a shame. I guess we flew out the next morning on the plane you came in on. We looked at that storage room one afternoon considering leaving our gear there for a night dive and my wife said hell no. It was a crowded mess. I rigged mine up on a tank and left it out in the open for a couple hours. The resort was pretty busy.

Overnight, leaving gear like that in the gear room is taking a risk, but at least the second theft was between dives in the middle of the day.

In the past I have a couple of times forgotten a camera or regulator in a rinse tank at the same resort, and it was not swiped.

Yes, theft like this was/is always a possibility at any resort gear room, but Buddy Dive has had a great record. I know that these incidents have already had an impact on staff attitudes and been a topic if deep discussion at the monthly staff meeting, because the resort has had a great track record as safe and responsive.

I will certainly be even more cautious in the future.

or a live aboard, look around you.

If you are not the thief, then one of those thieves may be sitting right there beside you.
If it happens on a LOB, I'm guessing that's pretty much a given at dinner...:D

Wow, Jim. Incredible given how much trust I naturally give to my fellow divers just because they're divers. Thank you for sharing your (unpleasant) experience.

dang .. and that is one of the things you like to think your fellow divers are above doing :(

I used to think that too, until I had a new pair of Smartwool socks stolen while I was ice diving this February.
What's weird is that no one could have known they were new--as far as they knew, they were stealing a pair of used socks. :confused: Classy!

:angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob:

The guy who stole your gear should burn with the guy harrassing the wildlife!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom