The Bonaire criminal exposed, and it is ........YOU!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Few years back I was part of a group staying at Eden Beach Resort (under previous ownership, though I doubt that matters) and a woman in our group discovered her new BCD has somehow become a weathered, used one, though of the same brand, sitting in the gear room.

Sad, but it happens. I keep gear in my room, but often dry it on a table out front, which is what I did at Buddy Dive recently. If I remember correctly from the dive briefing, Buddy Dive had some dive lockers you could use but we were told you had to provide your own lock. I didn't pay much attention since I had no intentions of doing that. If I understood rightly, then that would be an alternative to a common gear room or keeping gear in your room.

But at the least, take expensive dive computers back to your room with you. And if you've got a high-dollar big brand reg. like an upper end Atomic Aquatics, might better take that in, too.

Richard.

Several times I have heard or seen an estimate that roughly 60% of the theft of gear and incidentals from divers is thought to be by other divers who see an opportunity and grab something.

Crime against residents and break ins of hotel rooms is not the same type of crime, and such crime is not attributed to divers, but either to locals or criminal imports from the region.

As traveling divers most of us are not affected as much by these local crimes, but mostly we are being impacted by crime directed at divers specifically, and particularly theft from dive vehicles left unattended or gear, cameras etc swiped from gear rooms, balconies, etc, where an unscrupulous fellow diver is often the likely culprit as no one notices them as much as they would a local wandering through a resort.

---------- Post added May 29th, 2014 at 08:46 PM ----------

I was recently a party to an interesting discussion between resort staff over the possibility of theft by resort personnel. The resort manager was quite clear about sharing the knowledge that all staff are highly aware of the community of resort owner's attitude toward theft of any kind.

ONE theft, of any type is an automatic blackball from ever again working at any of the resorts on the island. Period.

On a small, very poor island such as Bonaire, where resorts and dive ops all know each other and where they are some of the only decent employment opportunities such a threat of blackball is a huge deterrent to light fingered staff.

Several times I have heard or seen an estimate that roughly 60% of the theft of gear and incidentals from divers is thought to be by other divers who see an opportunity and grab something.

Crime against residents and break ins of hotel rooms is not the same type of crime, and such crime is not attributed to divers, but either to locals or criminal imports from the region.

As traveling divers most of us are not affected as much by these local crimes, but mostly we are being impacted by crime directed at divers specifically, and particularly theft from dive vehicles left unattended or gear, cameras etc swiped from gear rooms, balconies, etc, where an unscrupulous fellow diver is often the likely culprit as no one notices them as much as they would a local wandering through a resort.

(Bold emphasis to parts of your previous quote added by me.)

I believe your story, but disagree with your ensuing opinions. The majority of Bonairean crimes discussed on SB, BonaireTalk, TripAdvisor, Forum Bonaire's FB page, the BES Police website, the Bonaire Reporter newspaper, and anyplace else where victims of crime on Bonaire are heard publicly appear to disagree with it too. Most of those sources primarily discuss property crimes perpetrated against tourists, residents, and local businesses by a small subset of unscrupulous local residents. Crimes reported to be perpetrated by tourists upon other tourists are infrequent and seldom, if ever, mentioned. Your story is an exception, and I'm arguing that it should be treated as such.

So... If you disagree... please feel free to back your position up with some specific supporting data.

I'd also like to thank you and several other contributors to this thread for reminding me why we don't travel with groups or stay at "resorts" on Bonaire anymore. There are many more intimate options available on the island and it's been fun exploring them over the previous decade or so. I encourage everyone else to consider doing the same when planning their next visit to lovely Bonaire.

I'd also like to thank you and several other contributors to this thread for reminding me why we don't travel with groups or stay at "resorts" on Bonaire anymore. There are many more intimate options available on the island and it's been fun exploring them over the previous decade or so. I encourage everyone else to consider doing the same when planning their next visit to lovely Bonaire.

The impression I've gleaned from posts in one or more other threads is that homes known to be rented out to tourists can be targets for robbery, so any assumption that avoiding a resort results in a lower risk stay for crime, particularly serious crime, leaves me wondering specifically what intimate options you refer to.

Addressing the thread as a whole, we're talking about 2 different kinds of crime.

Tourist Divers on Bonaire be definition could afford airfare and dive gear or rental for the trip, and to stay, rent & probably rent a truck. A minority will be willing to steal expensive gear, or something like a weight pocket that's convenient to grab and inconvenient to get yourself. Such a person won't be riffling through random dive trucks, since on Bonaire, few valuables are left in rental trucks at dive sites and the 'good stuff' (expensive dive gear) will be underwater with the divers. Yes, you might score a low to mid-range point & shoot digital camera or pair of shoes. That level of risk/reward won't appeal to the overwhelming majority of scuba diving thieves.

If someone steals from your truck on a shore site, I'm thinking probably a local. From the gear room at the resort? I'm thinking a fellow diver. Different categories of crime draw different demographics. Similar to not expecting muggers and insider traders to be the same sort of people.

Richard.

(Bold emphasis to parts of your previous quote added by me.)

I believe your story, but disagree with your ensuing opinions. The majority of Bonairean crimes discussed on SB, BonaireTalk, TripAdvisor, Forum Bonaire's FB page, the BES Police website, the Bonaire Reporter newspaper, and anyplace else where victims of crime on Bonaire are heard publicly appear to disagree with it too. Most of those sources primarily discuss property crimes perpetrated against tourists, residents, and local businesses by a small subset of unscrupulous local residents. Crimes reported to be perpetrated by tourists upon other tourists are infrequent and seldom, if ever, mentioned. Your story is an exception, and I'm arguing that it should be treated as such.

So... If you disagree... please feel free to back your position up with some specific supporting data.

You try providing the specific statistics to back up your allegations. :shakehead:

I too read Bonaire Talk and receive Bonaire crime updates regularly. As far as I know no one has been caught in the act of stealing from dive vehicles, so your theory of who has been doing it has no better likelihood of being accurate than my own. After 10 years of diving Bonaire I can tell you that there has always been suspicion that at least some of those petty thefts from parked dive trucks has been theft of opportunity by other divers, but as no one seems to be able to catch the crooks in the act all we have is speculation, based on observation and pure theory of why no one ever been seems to be seen in the act.

As for business and home break in's, car thefts, and such crime, Bonaire certainly has that, which is why doors and windows on the island are often protected by bars and gates. (Something I also see pretty much anywhere I travel be it home or abroad, barring some of our own more rural towns far from "big city" influences) This type of crime is going to be a more organized local criminal, who often brings the tools they need to bypass or break through security systems, grates or alarms. If you are staying off resort and are seen as a rich, ripe target, then this type of crime is more likely to effect you, which is why a great number of divers use the resorts who provide some level of security from this type of criminal.

Obviously this sort of crime is not expected to be diver on diver crime, like theft from gear rooms almost certainly is, and theft from trucks may also be.

My observation and the reason for this thread is that after 10 years of visiting this island at least once a year is that we all too often have overlooked our "fellow" divers when searching for culprits, and for solutions. My observation is that some of our own crowd of divers seem to have been contributing fairly heavily to the perception of a "Bonaire crime wave" that some folks on SB love to :soapbox:

Comments by some about taking their business elsewhere have overlooked the possibility that when you travel elsewhere the same thief that stole gear on Bonaire may also be there right along side of you at your next dive site. While this "diver" may not be the one cutting a safe out of a wall in an off resort rental they are just as likely to pocket your high end camera lens or swipe a good regulator or computer if they see the opportunity to get away with it, almost anywhere we travel if we are not careful and observant.

You try providing the specific statistics to back up your allegations. :shakehead:

That isn't how this works. You make the wild conjecture based on something that happened to you, you have to back it up. The vast majority of Bonaire theft is non committed by divers. This is just a fact.

You actually had a good point which is that you shouldn't assume your gear is safe in a drying shack. It is getting lost by you not backing off your conjecture.

If you stay at a huge dive-op (Dandy Don's Habitat, Buddy, etc), and have your gear in a dive shack with a hundred other people, you are a prime candidate for theft by other divers. There is a lot of foot traffic and no cameras. This is not specific to Bonaire though.

That isn't how this works. You make the wild conjecture based on something that happened to you, you have to back it up. The vast majority of Bonaire theft is non committed by divers. This is just a fact.

You actually had a good point which is that you shouldn't assume your gear is safe in a drying shack. It is getting lost by you not backing off your conjecture.

If you stay at a huge dive-op (Dandy Don's Habitat, Buddy, etc), and have your gear in a dive shack with a hundred other people, you are a prime candidate for theft by other divers. There is a lot of foot traffic and no cameras. This is not specific to Bonaire though.

Wrong.

I spoke about crime that specifically effects divers, while it was you who wants to bring up all crime. I certainly never suggested that most or even much of the other crime on the island is done by divers. I'd guess that divers have almost no impact at all on the island's crime level outside of the theft from the dive community itself.

I was not focasing on theft in general on the island. You don't read very well it seems.

The title of your post was:
[h=2]The Bonaire criminal exposed, and it is ........YOU![/h]
Maybe just change the title. The content of the post is a good reminder to not trust anybody.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom