The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saturday; smoking current......... tons of big turtles, a few lobsters, and a lemon shark (I think... two dorsal fins w/ a hook hanging out the side of its mouth...)

I had to squint closely, I think I saw markings on the side next to its gills of 3 rib bones... you know, like fighter pilot aces used to mark their aircraft; and I then I put two and two together; this must be Chip's 'buddy'..... :)

-Tim

Saturday; smoking current......... tons of big turtles, a few lobsters, and a lemon shark (I think... two dorsal fins w/ a hook hanging out the side of its mouth...)

Oh, sure... head over to Boynton the day after I leave... :shakehead:

Sorry to read about your ear, Kevin. Once I've tidied up my photos, I'll try posting a few.

I had to squint closely, I think I saw markings on the side next to its gills of 3 rib bones... you know, like fighter pilot aces used to mark their aircraft; and I then I put two and two together; this must be Chip's 'buddy'..... :)

-Tim

Tim, so you dove in Boynton Saturday as well? Wow, I'm pretty exhaused after diving with you on Friday and Sunday, and I'm kind of glad I took Saturday off, even though diving in Boynton sounds pretty nice. I really need to get out with Kevin again!

BTW, I'm eagerly anicipating checking out some of that video footage you shot this weekend!:popcorn:

Kevin, I know ear infections can be no fun, and worse they keep you from diving - Get well soon, because I know I speak for everyoned when I say, we all miss and look forward to your regular reports and pictures!

Adrian

Well that just gives you an excuse to come down and visit us more often, especially now that you have that advanced certification, so we can take you out for some of the real fun stuff!

Adrian

Sorry to read about your ear, Kevin. Once I've tidied up my photos, I'll try posting a few.

Hey thank you Anna! And also thank you for your very thoughtful gifts! It's always a pleasure diving with you.

I have pics from the 3rd and the morning of the 4th, but my ear hurt too badly to dive on the night dive and for the rest of the weekend.

Anna and I couldn't get anyone to come diving with us on my boat on the 3rd, so we jumped on Craig's boat, the Starfish Enterprise instead. We did Delray Ledge, and then Briney Breezes. We actually left Briney and hopped up onto the Gazebo Ledge about 15 minutes into the dive, because I thought there was gonna be more stuff going on up there. I didn't take very many pictures that day, I'm not sure why. I know on the second dive there was a fair amount of current. The vis on both dives was about 45'.

ostrichshark.jpg

The group ahead of us pointed out this nurse shark acting like an ostrich on Delray ledge.

Saturday; smoking current......... tons of big turtles,

Turtle4.jpg

Though not big, this is a turtle. A shiny new one!

Turtle2-2.jpg

This guy is a hawksbill, like the next one, but is not the same individual.

Friendlyturtle.jpg

This guy lives here.

turtleeats.jpg

I found this loggerhead eating something, but I couldn't find any evidence of what.

a few lobsters,

lobsters-1.jpg

There are lots of lobsters right now. I saw about 20 on this dive.

and a lemon shark (I think... two dorsal fins w/ a hook hanging out the side of its mouth...)

lemon.jpg

I have seen this guy a few times around where you guys were diving on Saturday. This picture was actually taken on the 1st, just on top of the reef at the beginning of Castle ledge. It seemed like you guys either did the same site twice, or maybe did Briney Breezes and then Gazebo on Saturday. This picture was right where Gazebo peters out, which is the beginning (at least in my mind) of Castle Ledge. It's about 6 or 7 feet long. I've seen it there a couple of times before in the last few weeks. It swam right up to one of our divers, but I couldn't get near enough to take any kind of a good picture.

Chip's buddy was a very large lemon shark, probably pregnant, with a bizarre curly dorsal fin, but it's still fun to remind him of how he just handed over his catch to it.

-Tim

The diving on Friday was pretty similar, so if you don't mind I'll throw in some pics from the morning of the 4th with your narrative from the 5th.

Well that just gives you an excuse to come down and visit us more often, especially now that you have that advanced certification, so we can take you out for some of the real fun stuff!

Adrian
I'll be there with bells on! :wink:

Hey thank you Anna! And also thank you for your very thoughtful gifts! It's always a pleasure diving with you.
And thank you! What a delight to find someone who'll lend me his top-of-the-line regulator and DIN tanks, replace my corrugated hose, accompany me on another dive boat, swap my tank as I lay dying during PeptoBismal moments... SE Florida is lucky to have such a treasure! :)

As promised, here are a few snapshots taken during my dives from Boynton Beach. It was my camera's first time out so please, be kind. :wink:

bw-fishw.jpg

Sure, this pic is especially sad but I only saw this snappy 'n' snazzy fish once...

boxfish-babyw.jpg

My token pic-with-flash...

reef-w-fishw.jpg

Rarely do I see reef shots posted so I wanted to include one to give an idea of just how pretty it is by itself to those that may not be aware.

wreck-w-bluefishw.jpg

"Look, Ma! No cropping!" (Honest)

moral-verticalw.jpg

No doubt about it... this moray had been there all morning just waiting for someone... anyone... even a Canadian too lazy to learn how to use her camera's manual settings, especially custom white balance, to come along...(Note to self: Pay attention when alcina writes that the u/w setting is too blue.)

bl-angelfish-facew.jpg

Perhaps another session with Photoshop's levels is in order...

kev-w-turtlew.jpg

Kevin simply wouldn't budge from this poor turtle's side so I had no choice but to include him in the shot...

Once again, thank you so much, Kevin, for being such a great dive guide/buddy/guru! I'm already looking forward to my return trip next year! :)

Great pics, and even more so if it's your first time with the camera! I'm a big fan of shooting Green Moray Eels, because I feel they're really photogenic; consequently, I think your eel shot is awesome!

I often show some of my eel pictures to non-divers and I get mixed reactions, but the way I look at it, how can you not love a face like this!

Adrian_6_.jpg

Great pics, and even more so if it's your first time with the camera! I'm a big fan of shooting Green Moray Eels, because I feel they're really photogenic; consequently, I think your eel shot is awesome!

I often show some of my eel pictures to non-divers and I get mixed reactions, but the way I look at it, how can you not love a face like this!
I see you've ended your *question* with an exclamation mark, not a question mark so I'll refrain from answering. :wink: Wonderful pic, BTW! Thx for the kind words. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom