The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMatt- Good diving with you. I hear ya on the long drive. When I lived in Orlando I always had a tough time keeping the eyelids open on the drive home.

I was freezing in my wore thin shorty. I stayed up on the reef where it was much warmer and looked at the little guys.

I hope to get back south and do more diving there.

It was 84 top to bottom today in Boynton in 65'. Shall I plan some dives for us??

Yeah prolly. I need to blow bubbles! I was actually planning on giving you a call this week to see if you were up for some dives that weekend. Can go either the 6th or the 7th and was actually thinking maybe a whole day 4 dive trip, with a Docksiders sandwich for lunch, of course. :D

Yeah prolly. I need to blow bubbles! I was actually planning on giving you a call this week to see if you were up for some dives that weekend. Can go either the 6th or the 7th and was actually thinking maybe a whole day 4 dive trip,

It's gotta be September 6th (Dolphins play on Sunday at 1300). Kev is wide open all day so I booked the boat for the entire day. It's you, Ed, Ed's buddy, Tim, Terri, and myself.

with a Docksiders sandwich for lunch, of course. :D
It's hard to believe but Docksiders was there in the morning and gone by lunchtime a few weekends ago :(

Last edited:
Whoa, we've been doing alot of diving, so I haven't had much time for writing, but here's a smattering of stuff from this last week.

It seems as though there has been a thermocline, if not directly on the reef, somewhere nearby for most of the week. At times it has been marked and very defined, other times it seems well mixed and very slight. I'm pretty sure that it is a result of the prolonged but generally gentle winds from the west.

Water clarity in the cold water layer has been about 35-40', and in the warm layer about 100'. Generally, the cold layer has been moving south, while the warm layer has generally been moving north. Usually, the reef has been serving as a divider, keeping the cold layer off of the inside ledge, where we usually dive, so we have had fairly warm water and pretty good vis, usually 60-70'.

I posted this picture of midnight parrot fish marauding a sergeant major nest:
Midnightmarauders.jpg

however, the nest is obscured by one of the fish. Even though the nests are very common to see out on the reefs (they are shiny purple masses about the diameter of a dinner plate), it occurred to me that not everyone who reads this lives around here, so I took a picture of a sergeant major nest.

sgtmjrfert.jpg

A pair of sergeant majors and their nest. I'm not positive, but I think the purple one is the male, and was in the act of fertilizing the eggs in this nest when I took the picture.

sharkpiercing.jpg

This nurse shark was dragging a big matted mess of stainless steel line with several more hooks on it, knotted around sponges, algae and debris. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until the shark swam away. The good news is that it looks like the hook has just about worked its way out of it's mouth.

moraycleaners.jpg

Another shot of cleaning activity by neon gobies on a green moray. He had a cool eye color.

GothicGruntLives.jpg

The Gothic Grunt lives! At least as of Wednesday.

I have to go to work, but I'll try to bring make the thread current by tonight.

Hilary-- you are not still local are you? I heard you took a job as a traumahawke flight nurse (or whatever that is called) in another state??

Kev- curious you wrote, "This nurse shark was dragging a big matted mess of stainless steel line with several more hooks on it, knotted around sponges, algae and debris. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until the shark swam away.."
So if you had noticed it earlier you would have tried to take it out?? You got more skills and guts than me. She is only a nurse shark but she still is a shark and has teeth.

Hope to dive more wrecks off your boat next month --- I have a vacation planned 08/22~09/02

Gothic Grunt?? It does look like marylin mason! Where the heck is that.. I assume it is a very unsual oddity as I have never seen one.

Kev- curious you wrote, "This nurse shark was dragging a big matted mess of stainless steel line with several more hooks on it, knotted around sponges, algae and debris. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until the shark swam away.."
So if you had noticed it earlier you would have tried to take it out?? You got more skills and guts than me. She is only a nurse shark but she still is a shark and has teeth.

Hope to dive more wrecks off your boat next month --- I have a vacation planned 08/22~09/02
Hey! I don't know if I would recommend it, but I might have tried to edge over to it and snip the line with EMT shears.

The Gothic Grunt lives (lived?) on Clubhouse and is, as far as I know, one of a kind. The first time I noticed it was a week or two ago. I don't know whether it is diseased, or a mutation, or if it has been visiting sunken drug smuggling boats, but it definately looks angry, and doesn't seem to hang out with the rest of the grunts.

The EMT shears to cut the line makes more sense to me than the thought I had of you trying to wedge a hook out of her already sore mouth.

"Looks angry and doesn't hang out with the other grunts.."-- I went through that phase... probably listens to punk rock music and watches "A Clockwork Orange" over and over

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom