The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aw man...a hammerhead?!??! I miss all the good stuff. At least I got a moray. Wonder if that picture above is the same one I saw?

I am amazed at how fast a shark can swim! In the Keys, my buddy and I saw a reef shark just literally hanging out. I went to get a picture as my buddy swam toward it and apparently spooked it. It was literally gone in the blink of an eye. You can bet that I gave my buddy an earful!

Kev
Saw you guys coming in the Boynton inlet yesterday just before noon.Next time I'm at the Two Georges I'll stop by and say hi.Also as soon as my gears out of the shop I'll book a trip with you guys as it looks like a blast.Love reading your posts here keep up the good work.

Nah. This one will be a problem for our Gulf Coast friends I think. Let's see the 11:00 PM

Great Hammerhead pic Kev. OK with you if I use it as a screen saver? :)

Attachments

• sharkwashere.jpg
    sharkwashere.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 69
Great Hammerhead pic Kev. OK with you if I use it as a screen saver? :)

It's better than the one I got today. I stayed behind to scrub my mask, which was fogging up, and let Jono take the group down. Five minutes later I get down there, and he sinals "hammerhead" and points "back there." He told me on the interval that it wasn't shy either. Darn fog.

Anyway, I remembered last night that REEF Photo Video had the foresight to include an extra o-ring with my strobe, and I was even able to locate it! Why anyone would buy a strobe anywhere else is beyond me.

So I got pics today, but I'm still at work so I can't put them up yet. I'll put them up as soon as I get home. I will say though, that the water continues to clear up. On the south end of the reef we had pretty near 50' vis. 84º. The north end was a little funky due to the extremely light current and the outgoing inlet water. Vis was about 3' on the very top (to about 5' deep) and about 25- 30' on top of the reef.
We saw very few lobsters, I think they may have headed in to the shallows. I'll post more later.

Kev
Saw you guys coming in the Boynton inlet yesterday just before noon.Next time I'm at the Two Georges I'll stop by and say hi.Also as soon as my gears out of the shop I'll book a trip with you guys as it looks like a blast.Love reading your posts here keep up the good work.

Hey do that! It would be great to meet you!

Okay, here are the pics from today:

Caughtnurse.jpg

This nurse shark had what appeared to be part of a commercial longline in it's mouth. The hook was already fairly rusted, and the mono didn't seem to be hampering his movement any, so I think he'll probably be okay. This pic also shows (sorta) the water clarity on the north end of the reef today.

Loaf.jpg

I'd hate to run into the fish that dropped this one! Just kidding, it's only a sea cucumber.

batwing.jpg

One of the divers pointed out this batwing coral crab to me. Thanks man!

howitlooked082608.jpg

Here's how the water looked on the south end of the reef... a big difference from up north!

octopus-3.jpg

I found an octopus!

porkneggs.jpg

This porkfish was munching on some sergeant major eggs.

whatthehell.jpg

If anyone can tell me what the heck this is, I'd be pretty grateful. It looks like some kid stuck his gum under the reef. I'll also post this in the I.D. forum.

whatthehell2.jpg

Here's a better look at the medallion.

What the heck is that?!?!? Looks like Spiderman might have been diving close to here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom