The Brothers islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well we got back yesterday and we had a fantastic trip. Big brother was nice but I preferred little brother for the coral and animal life. An Oceanic white tip swam within a metre of me and we spent much of the time in the blue watching the shark activity all around us. The currents were fast at times and on one dive we followed a shark into the blue and surfaced some way from the boat. However the rib guys were great and came straight to us.

After 4 days at the brothers we headed to Elphinestone Reef to what turned out to be a very scary morning. The first dive we saw sharks at some distance but on the 2nd dive we finished under the dive boats. Everywhere we looked there were sharks (between 7 - 9 were counted). One oceanic white tip started to hassle the guides who where kicking it and hitting it on the nose to push it off. Then one of the divers headed for the surface taking flash photos (which we were told not to do) and the aggressive shark followed. Luckily the dive guides where great and pulled the guy down from the surface. We were all a bit worried about surfacing onto the boat but the guides kept watch as we each got out. Unfortunately the boat's pet duck went for a swim and didn't come back.

After a 3rd rather quiet dive we headed back to the Marsa Alam area for some gentle dives to finish off the week.

It was a great trip and I would recommend the Sea Serpent, its crew and the 2 dive guides (Hany and Mohammed) to everyone.

We got back from the Brothers and although rolling boats and Scubababy do not get on, we had a whale shark for an hour on the surface (snorkelling video footage available) hammerheads on little brother, oceanic white tips for about an hour on the surface on one of the evenings and a 3m sunfish on Big Brother ... loads of wrecks as well, Dunraven, Salem express, Thistlegorm and Rosalie moller ... superb week!

Is end March a good time to dive the Brothers? I keep hearing that the waters are really choppy and the current very strong.

How is it really like underwater?

Thanks,

Porpoise

Currents at Bro Islands are strong, esspecialy at this time of a year!!! So if you decide to go there you have to be aware of this. But the life uw is so great there...
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom