The Buddy System Rebutted Part I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CRDiver:
Here's an excellent article from the AquaCORPS archives...

On Your Own: The Buddy System Rebutted

By Bob Halstead

Buddies are not essential for a safe dive.

Niether is an alternate or redundant air sourse, cutting tool, fins, mask or any number of other tools we use. So?
On the contrary, buddies often increase the risk of a dive, either directly through unpredictable or unreliable actions, or indirectly, through an unfounded belief that security is enhanced by numbers alone, regardless of the training or state of mind of the buddy.

Good description of a bad buddy. Don't dive with them,
In most instances, a competent solo diver would be much safer than the average buddy dive.

This bozo doesn't know my buddies. I'd like to him prove "most"
Most textbooks do not define the buddy system - an interesting point in itself.

Most scuba courses seem to do a poor job of teaching the buddy system.
I define it as the situation that occurs when two divers of similar interests and equal experience and ability share a dive, continuously monitoring each other throughout entry, the dive, and the exit, and remaining within such distance that they could render immediate assistance to each other if required.

Obviously, this definition represents the ideal, and upon honest examination it’s clear that it has little to do with the reality as practiced by most divers. The truth is that on most dives, the buddy system fails.

If it fails most of the time it's only due to a failure by agencies to teach it and a failure by divers to learn it. It works very well fo us.
I’ve been an active diving instructor for 20 years, and a professional sport diver for 13 years; I’ve made over 5,000 dives and have personally supervised - without serious incident - over 90,000 dives. During this time I’ve seen buddies that were incompatible either through interest of ability; buddies that spent their dives looking for each other; divers dependant on their buddies; divers who claimed to be buddies on the boat, but who ignored each other in the water; buddies who failed to communicate; buddies who fought in the midst of a dive; and divers who failed to recognize distress in a buddy, let alone attempt to assist.

Wouldn't you think that such an experienced instructor would catch on here? This is how he taught them to do it.
This last situation brings up a vital point. The buddy system implies that divers will be able to recognize a problem with their buddy and do something about it. Most are never put to the test, but experience indicates that if they were, many would fail.

Who's experience? And why not test a divers ability to do this in their entry level training.
An analysis of diving fatalities in Australia and New Zealand over the past ten years found that 45% of the fatalities involved buddies who were separated by the fatal problem or who were separated after the problem commenced.

More evidence of bad buddies.
Another 14% stayed with the buddy, but the buddy died anyway. Just being together is not enough.

Ah but how many time did having a buddy help solve a problem or avoid it completely? or wasn't that counted? Counteing only the unsuccessfull attempts at applying the buddy system tells us nothing about all the successful attemts.
From these observations, I’ve concluded that the buddy system is mostly mythical.

With all the divers this guy has trained I'd have to blame him, in part for that. He should dive with us sometime. We could show him how it works.
It is unreasonable, unworkable, unfathomable, and unnatural. Rarely - very rarely - I see a couple who buddy dive as the ideal. In my view, most diving today is, in fact, solo diving, even if the divers claim to be buddy diving. Unfortunately, because it is taboo, most divers have had no specific training to qualify them for such solo diving.

Since he notices that their buddy diving is so poor you'd think he'd recognize that they have no specific training for buddy diving either.
How did we get ourselves into this mess?

By telling divers to dive with a buddy but never showing them how or testing their abilioty to do so in training. Most instructors just have the group follow him then gives them a certification to go out and buddy dive. The problem is that he's only showed them how to and tested their ability to solo dive in a pack.
Unfortunately, few people defending the buddy system seem to address the critical point of whether it does, in fact, make diving safer as intended. Since the introduction of the buddy system 30 years ago, a large body of divers has developed who have made careers out of sport diving. These people must now look to their experience to decide whether or not the buddy system has worked, or whether it should be modified or even abandon.

Well I've helped many people under water. Everything from straping their tanks back on for them to giving them gas to breath to untangling them to arresting uncontroled ascents to simply pointing out things that may have become a big problem later. Let me tell you it was safer for all those divers that I was there and some of them wouldn't be here if I hadn't been.

By all means, if you enjoy diving alone then do it. However this kind of trip is misleading, incompetant, dangerous and just plain BS. This guy has to be the biggest idiot who ever possesed adequate smarts to learn to write.

The only justification is just because you want to. Why try to make up lies, excuses and use warped logic to comvince some one else that what your doing is some how smart or the safest way to do it.

I dive deep, in caves, in wrecks under ice and with long decompression obligations. None of which makes for the safest way in which to dive and I don't try to convince any one otherwise. I dive in a cave because I want to. As long as I'm going to do it I try to do it in the safest way possible.

If you want to solo dive...do it because you want to and do it in the safest way possible without trying to kid yourself into thinking it's the safest possible way to dive.

Bad buddies are dangerous. If we take that as proof that we should dive alone rather than with a good buddy than to be consistant with this illogic this idiot should send his students out on their first dive alone so he won't be there to possibly get them into trouble.

Sorry...the safest is to be with a good buddy.

MikeFerrara:
If you want to solo dive...do it because you want to and do it in the safest way possible without trying to kid yourself into thinking it's the safest possible way to dive.
OK.

MikeFerrara:
Bad buddies are dangerous. If we take that as proof that we should dive alone rather than with a good buddy than to be consistant with this illogic this idiot should send his students out on their first dive alone so he won't be there to possibly get them into trouble.

Sorry...the safest is to be with a good buddy.

Mike,

I guess the operative word here is "good" buddy. I would always prefer to dive with a “good” buddy. The problem is when you are forced to dive with an unknown buddy, cause the “system” requires it. At this point the solo vs unknown argument comes into place, and I would rather dive solo.

On the other hand, if a new diver wants a buddy and is looking for some one to help them, then I’m always willing to help those that want to learn, and have fun. The issues I’ve run into are the experienced diver that abandons you, leaving you to spend your dive searching for them. That’s where I draw the line and say no thanks.

Why do we keep justifying solo diving. Mike and several others are right that a good buddy is an excellent dive tool. Problem is I don't want a buddy 90% of the time--period--good, bad or otherwise. Like the other thread, what is this board about, I thought it was about solo diving procedures and methods and practices.

I am guilty of bashing the buddy system as it is applied 99.9% of the time in the real world as observed by me but that is not why I dive alone or semi-alone. I dive alone because I want to and so therefore I need to adapt methods to my solo diving to keep me as safe as possible. The fact is, regardless of all the hype, solo diving is no more dangerous than buddy diving. I have seen nothing but antedotal evidence to proove either case as being superior.
Solo diving and it's discussion seems to bring on the same tpe of hype and emotional results as snorkel discussions--lol--and other discussions that question the conventional Padi apprach to diving. The buddy system was not really the case everywhere all the time, divers have gone it alone from the beginning. I will continue to do so whenever possible.

"I guess the operative word here is "good" buddy. I would always prefer to dive with a “good” buddy."

I would not always prefer a "good" buddy. Sometimes I prefer alone. How can we instead adapt equipment, training and procedures to compensate for the lack of a buddy. So much dive training centers around having a buddy (and a snorkel and a BC and now a computer) that to deviate from these methods means that a person must realize this and develop a new approach--a SOLO approach to diving--different from the buddy centered/dependent training most folks receive. N

Viscya:
Mike,

I guess the operative word here is "good" buddy. I would always prefer to dive with a “good” buddy. The problem is when you are forced to dive with an unknown buddy, cause the “system” requires it. At this point the solo vs unknown argument comes into place, and I would rather dive solo.

I'm sometimes sort of forced into doing something at work or in the way of taxes. LOL Diving, though, is something I do for recreation and no one can force me to do anything.
On the other hand, if a new diver wants a buddy and is looking for some one to help them, then I’m always willing to help those that want to learn, and have fun. The issues I’ve run into are the experienced diver that abandons you, leaving you to spend your dive searching for them. That’s where I draw the line and say no thanks.

With a new buddy, new diver or not, I prefer to do a really easy dive to check things out and work out the kinks. Once you have a functioning team then you can move on to more challanging tasks and environments.

Certainly assuming some one is a buddy because you jump in the water together isn't a good plan and unfortunately too many divers are taught to think that qualifies as buddy diving. When it doesn't work some try to use it as evidence that the buddy system is somehow flawed.

When some one shows up on a dive boat alone and chooses to do a "real" dive with an unknown buddy because a DM wishes it they are certainly taking their chances and may not be pleased. I can see this kind of pot luck stuff causing problems and would almost expect it. In this case diving alone may indeed be "safer" or at least more of a known quantity.

Nemrod,

All my advanced training has been "your life is in your hands, deal with it". Your "buddy" is some one you may have to help also. So my answer to training for solo, is get some advanced training (Rescue, Adv Nitrox, Deco Procedures)

Mike,

MikeFerrara:
.... no one can force me to do anything.
Exactly! Then why do shops/DM think they should force people to dive as buddies?

I think we both agree. I believe you do more cave diving. I do more ocean diving. On a boat you are at the mercy of the boat / charter. If they start to "buddy" people up, then things get bad. Nubies are OK. You can tell them "do this... and don't leave my side, and generally they do. It can be a fun dive, if it's not too challenging for them. It's the guy with experience in "buddy" dives that abandons you. They are the ones that causes the rest of us to say "no more". I will not take a buddy. I will go solo.

I have a few buddies that are "good" buddies. We are aware of each other, and not in each other's way. Each is capable of taking care of themselves. We are just diving together. We don't change gear config for these dives.

"All my advanced training has been "your life is in your hands, deal with it". Your "buddy" is some one you may have to help also. So my answer to training for solo, is get some advanced training (Rescue, Adv Nitrox, Deco Procedures)"

Oooooooookkkkk, I guess we don't need this board then other than to continue to justify ourselves? You might note that I do have an Advanced cert and a Assistant Instructor cert and I probably did not mention that I went through the Naui Instructor course but broke my leg in a cycling accident, switched careers, moved, went back to school and somewhere along the line never finished it and came to the thought that I really don't care anymore about a pocket full of cert cards--such is life--I am so incomplete---lol. Here is a cert I would be interested in--solo kayak diving in vintage gear sans snorkel!

To change the subject, did anyone see the Fox report about the young surfer in Australia who was being towed on a surf board by a motorboat and who was bitten in half by a white shark--makes me want to get another bang stick or mount torpedos, I guess you might get eaten afterall!
N

Nemrod:
"
To change the subject, did anyone see the Fox report about the young surfer in Australia who was being towed on a surf board by a motorboat and who was bitten in half by a white shark--makes me want to get another bang stick or mount torpedos, I guess you might get eaten afterall!
N
There is a post about it HERE.
And, it's not really off topic, Nemrod. The sharks were using the buddy system. :11:

Mike F. said:

Well I've helped many people under water. Everything from straping their tanks back on for them to giving them gas to breath to untangling them to arresting uncontroled ascents to simply pointing out things that may have become a big problem later. Let me tell you it was safer for all those divers that I was there and some of them wouldn't be here if I hadn't been.

Mike, I note that you said "I've helped..." and not "we helped..." Who was your buddy when you were giving all that help?

I bring this up because instructors, it has been recognized since the early 1980s often dive essentially solo when they are working with their students.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom