The burn! (Negativity towards tech divers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I told my 20 year padi insructor buddy who picks on my tech diving who doesn't know his sac rate

Dont worry. If u have a problem I have enough air with me for you to complete your dive

I think diving can be compared to hiking/mountaineering. Almost everyone can relate to a simple hike in the outdoors. This is like a recreational dive. You start to take on bigger mountains that require more gear and training and people begin to loose their ability to relate. Without the same passion to conquer the mountain they simply don't understand why we do it. Carry that on to a to the highest level and this gap becomes even wider. Climb mount everest or dive to 200 meters and very few are going to understand the passion, the risk, the motivation.

The only negative vibe I've felt towards tech divers (or actually the philosophy, not the divers themselves) was the acronym DIR. There is no ONE right WAY to dive IMHO because there are many different types of diving. I think the DIR philosophy offers many good ideas for those engaging in tech diving especially where penetrations or depth is involved. I have absolutely nothing against the GUE acronym (and others), and have many dive friends who follow it. As a solo diver for 50 years who shoots video on every dive and does not penetrate anything (at least not while on SCUBA), I have my own philosophy of diving that works fine for me... but would be a disaster for a tech diving team.

I recently buddied up with Steve Millington for a fun dive and found his GUE skills to make him a fantastic dive buddy for me as a videographer. He was always out of the camera's view, and his finning technique and buoyancy control prevented any resuspension of sediment to blur my images.

As I told my 20 year padi insructor buddy who picks on my tech diving who doesn't know his sac rate

Dont worry. If u have a problem I have enough air with me for you to complete your dive

Gosh. I wonder why some of you 'technical divers' get a negative response from other people?

Gosh. I wonder why some of you 'technical divers' get a negative response from other people?

I don't know Grae, but I think he was just talking tongue in cheek with a friend of his giving him a hard time. Now I have seen other attitudes from Tech Divers that give folks a bad name, but this one just seemed like some friendly ribbing.

I don't know Grae, but I think he was just talking tongue in cheek with a friend of his giving him a hard time. Now I have seen other attitudes from Tech Divers that give folks a bad name, but this one just seemed like some friendly ribbing.

I hope that's what he meant. I read it the way GrimSleeper did. If it was meant as tongue-in-cheek and not arrogant and condescending, then I misread it as well.

I hope that's what he meant. I read it the way GrimSleeper did. If it was meant as tongue-in-cheek and not arrogant and condescending, then I misread it as well.

It very well could be arrogant and condescending. It could be that I am just such a smart ass all the time that I read it that way.

Reactions: Jax
... sounds to me like a couple of 20-year old Marines being 20-year old Marines ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually my dive buddy is my brother
we have been diving together for 20 years

I wish I was 20 again"......sometimes

It's so hard to get tone on the interweb... Apologies for the misreading! :blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom