The Canadian Half of the Pacific Northwest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I've logged 70+ dives in my wetsuit... so I think I'm a bit used to it now...

But that's only for those 60 feet and less dives... anything over... I just bought myself a drysuit :D

I dove in that N. Vancouver Bay 100+ ft in my wet-suit. I never thought it would affect me but that's gotta be the second coldest I've ever been on a dive. The worst was ice diving in a wet suit.

you're one of the craziest sobs if you went ice diving in a wet suit!!! But, hey, if you're ever up this way again, give me a shout, sounds like we may have the same style... :D

PS: are you talking about Whytecliff Park???

I dove in that N. Vancouver Bay 100+ ft

You're right, got some deficiencies sometimes.

Poured hot water down the suit and a few other things, needless to say it didn't help much, I was sick for a few days after the fact.

From now on it's dry suit.

And I'll look you up next time I'm in BC / Seattle area, phenomenal diving up there, very underated.

By the by, do you see much of the 'giant' pacific octopus up there, or the six-gilled shark?

I missed out on that.

I have seen many octopi, all the time, so much so that they are losing their 'allure' (although they still are SOOO COOL!!!!)

This past weekend I was in sechelt, and I found two octopi at Cooper's Green. One was out in the open, but sleeping... the other was HUGE!!! Its tentacles had to be at least as round as my thigh, I have never seen such a big poppa before. It was really amazing.

No six-gill's for me though.. <sigh> I sure have tried enoguh though... some people have the luck, some don't. I have seen two dogfish though, remarkable how right away you think... shark. Then (whilst following it down like a bullet till 130 (my limit) its "wow, these guys are fast, sleek, and graceful".

That's too cool!

I saw none of that when I was out there, but then again, I only dove one day.

Apparently the Octopui are really evasive though..?

not really, I know where a lot of them hang out around Porteau Cove and so see them quite frequently. Over the course of 4 dives I see an octopus on at least one of the dives (this excludes DMing classes... as the chance there is virtually none). sometimes we take off our gloves and play with them. (I've played with a big one, but prolly never again, they suck on damn good!!!! :D)
I even once saw a female octopus who had died (due to protecting her eggs and starving to death) being eaten by 2 crabs and a starfish. Quite the scene I must say...
If you ever do get out this way, we'll have to hook up, cause its a shame if you don't get to see them, they are an amazing sight... even better if they are out in the open moving around!!!

BTW: where did you go when you were out here and what did you see???

The boat was docked in the N. Vancouver area, a husband and wife team, outfit called BC Adventures, or BC Sports, something like that. The guy looks like Stephen King.

Dove in the bay area, ran into a couple of seals, playing with your fins, dove along the wall of some island, forget the island's name, really awesome, lots of 'cauliflower' growing out of it, nearly a hundred feet visibility, could look straight up towards the surface and see the sun practially shining down on your face.....

next time I come up there I'm renting a dry suit though.

You were probably on the "Adventure II" then, and I know a couple of the people at the Vancouver shop (they have 2 locations now).

I would assume it was Bowyer Island you were at... and yes a dry suit is highly recommended. :)

(Although if you ever come out and fit my wet suit you're welcome to borrow it... :) )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom