The Canadian Seal Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is not a seal hunt. There is no stalking, no outwitting of the prey, no danger from the animal, no challenge in shooting and clubbing seal pups that can’t escape or swim. This is a cold merciless slaughter that has no place in the civilized world.
You ever seen a hunter, of anything, not do everything he can to make sure he has the most advantage that he can get?
... it is not, and never has been, a sporting contest

Over the past few weeks, there have been some interesting discussions about the whaling in Antarctica and the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. Overall, there have been some that support the Sea Shepherds' attempts to stop whaling while others oppose them. I'd like to hear people's opinions of the Canadian seal hunt and opinions of the Sea Shepherds' role in this campaign. The Sea Shepherds' goals for this campaign are only to document the slaughter, not to interfere. Documenting the slaughter is technically breaking Canadian law so I don't think the Sea Shepherds want to push their limits much.

Humane Society

Sea Shepherd Seal Campaign

Youtube video of the slaughter **Graphic**

The Canadian seal population is growing. I see no problem with the seal harvest. If the seal population were shrinking, I would agree it should be ended. There is nothing more green than using natural resources wisely. This is a case of that.

I'm just responding to what I see in the videos. They aren't faked.

No but they are old. The harvesting of whitecoats was made illegal in 1987.

In the videos it looks like there's a bit too much pleasure involved in the seal bashing to be purely business. If the hunt must happen, wouldn't shooting them in the head be a bit quicker and more painless?

Again, old video. Most seal harvesters now use firearms.

I guess that wouldn't be cost efficient though with all of the bullets they'd have to buy.
Bullets aren't that expensive, they just don't work as well or as fast, believe it or not.

What about skinning them alive? Humane?

It's illegal to skin them alive.

It's interesting how you act serious about the deaths of 4 people while still displaying that signature of yours portraying the killing of over 300,000 harp seals as a joke. Things like that keep me from taking you seriously. - Zingtea

I must totally agree with that statement. I would be very interested to get everyone's opinions on shark fin soup since it's a discussion much the same only in this case the resource is not sustainable. Maybe I'll start a thread on that.

I must totally agree with that statement. I would be very interested to get everyone's opinions on shark fin soup since it's a discussion much the same only in this case the resource is not sustainable. Maybe I'll start a thread on that.

Shark fin soup is a different issue because it's not sustainable--shark populations are not stable or growing as are seal populations. In addition, it's been shown that the seal harvesters at least attempt to use the meat (as evidenced by seal meat on the Canadian menus)

It's interesting how you act serious about the deaths of 4 people while still displaying that signature of yours portraying the killing of over 300,000 harp seals as a joke. Things like that keep me from taking you seriously. - Zingtea

actually, you just pointed ou how it's a totally different subjet. The ressource is not sustainable... and a lot of waste too since only the fins are taken. For these reasons, I am against the shark fin industry.

With sealers getting a whopping $33 -$35 per seal pelt (in good condition), and with the present movement by most countries to ban importation of seal products, seems like an industry hardly worth the Canadians fighting for.

Maybe they should take up cod farming?

Well, the SS ship has finally been seized...

Fisheries Minister defends armed seizure of anti-seal ship

This quote sums up my feeling about SS:

"They are "a bunch of money-sucking manipulators," said Hearn, "and their sole aim is to try to suck as much money out of the pockets of people who really don't know what's going on."

There are a lot of Conservation groups doing very good work but the tactics used by SS eliminates them from that category in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom