The Canadian Seal Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, the SS ship has finally been seized...

Fisheries Minister defends armed seizure of anti-seal ship

This quote sums up my feeling about SS:

"They are "a bunch of money-sucking manipulators," said Hearn, "and their sole aim is to try to suck as much money out of the pockets of people who really don't know what's going on."

There are a lot of Conservation groups doing very good work but the tactics used by SS eliminates them from that category in my opinion.

champagne-popping-~-bxp33627.jpg

"They are "a bunch of money-sucking manipulators," said Hearn, "and their sole aim is to try to suck as much money out of the pockets of people who really don't know what's going on."/QUOTE]

There are a lot of Conservation groups doing very good work but the tactics used by SS eliminates them from that category in my opinion.

When is the auction? :rofl3:

"“This is an act of war,” said Captain Paul Watson. “The Canadian government has just sent an armed boarding party onto a Dutch registered yacht in international waters and has seized the ship."

I don't like how he attempts to speak for the Netherlands gov't and the EU regarding an "act of war". My opinions of Captain Watson and the Society have started to waver due to the recent weeks.

I don't like how he attempts to speak for the Netherlands gov't and the EU regarding an "act of war". My opinions of Captain Watson and the Society have started to waver due to the recent weeks.

I think it's perfectly possible (and logically consistent) to be anti-whaling, anti-seal clubbing and still anti-Sea Shepherd. I

My opinions of Captain Watson and the Society have started to waver due to the recent weeks.
Because of what he says? I prefer to judge them by their actions, which have had an overall positive effect.

Because of what he says? I prefer to judge them by their actions, which have had an overall positive effect.

Well, he just seems to over exaggerate a lot of things. Claiming that Canada has committed an act of war by speaking for an entire country is pretty bold. He also seems to chose which laws apply and which do not. What I mean is, he says that Sea Shepherd actions are backed up by the U.N. World Charter for Nature but in the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea it states that the boarding done by the Canada Coast Guard was lawful. So it seems that he's choosing to acknowledge only certain parts of U.N. international law. I am not completely turning my back on Sea Shepherd yet. It just seems that the more I learn about these issues, the more I lean away from Sea Shepherd. The jury is still out.

Many countries will be voting soon to ban importation of all seal products and it is expected that the ban WILL happen largely due in part to the work done by Sea Shepherd. Great Job Guys!!!

Hey, great idea! Suggest the Sea Sheperd over to our waters, and maybe I get to invite you all for some great wreck diving soon!!! We have some new ships with the Coast Guard that are eager to prove something, I'm sure... :wink:

Mr Paul Watson is a convicted criminal. He spent 80 days in a Dutch jail refusing to be extradited to a Norwegian court were he would have faced several charges. He was convicted in absentia (not present in court), however well represented by a team of defending lawyers. The jail sentence he was convicted to would have meant spending.... 80 DAYS IN A COMFORTABLE NORWEGIAN JAIL!!! -Which he served i the Netherlands anyway,so he would have been set free right away. Funny ain't it? He actually spoke out that he may very well have been killed in one of our terrible jails. We must be a very inhumane society. But remember, 80 days with 4 good meals a day (whale meat only once a month!), for a crime he very well could have received a life sentence for, if convicted in the US... -And your jails are, well, the worst I can think of.

If you think Watson is out for other than fame and your money, think again. And he's been pretty good at it too...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom