The Canadian Seal Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nature i thought based on your facebook group u supported ss. I dont think this song was pointing @ the sealers' deaths. Watson is a tremendous conservationist.

Nature i thought based on your facebook group u supported ss. I dont think this song was pointing @ the sealers' deaths. Watson is a tremendous conservationist.

I have supported them in the past but when I first learned of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, I jumped into full support before I really looked into all of the facts. That's when I created that group. I still update the group but I have been trying to learn the facts on all sides of the issues. I am still not sure of where my support lies 100%. It may be a while before I figure it out. The jury's still out.

I looked at the page, and the context of the accompanying commentary can be suggestive of either the lost of several sealer's boats OR the lost of the lives of the 4 men who are sealers.

I guess to say it whether it is in bad taste, depending on the viewpoint of the person. I feel sad for the family of the 4 dead sealers, and I do not think it is appropriate to publish such a song immediately after such tragedy. But I can also see where one might value the life of an animal more than that of a human, and find this song amusing.

I value life of human more than that of animals. But that is just my upbringing.

Watson is a wacko but he aint a fool. He surely knew it could be interpreted both ways. It's a disgusting song but I'm not surprised at all. Some of his supporters here were mocking the death of the 4 men. It shows how they think.

For those who defend the seal slaughter as a means for commerce and survival I guess you see nothing wrong with child prostitution, dog fighting and drug trafficing. It is pathetic when people use the arguement that the seal slaughter is the only lifeline these people have. It is repulisive and unethical. Perhaps these poor people should learn a new skill/trade-duh!

And are you going to be the one to pay for their education to get them away from their only way of making a life and survivng. I dont see a problem with the hunting as it is being regualted by their government. The arguement you make is in no way on the same grounds, and totally off base.

I looked at the page, and the context of the accompanying commentary can be suggestive of either the lost of several sealer's boats OR the lost of the lives of the 4 men who are sealers.

I guess to say it whether it is in bad taste, depending on the viewpoint of the person. I feel sad for the family of the 4 dead sealers, and I do not think it is appropriate to publish such a song immediately after such tragedy. But I can also see where one might value the life of an animal more than that of a human, and find this song amusing.

I value life of human more than that of animals. But that is just my upbringing.

However anybody took it, I think it was in poor taste and quite immature.

I thought the song was corny and pretty stupid and am kinda surprised SS would use this as a form of publicity. The seal hunt isn't a game it's a very serious matter and animal and human life hang in the balance. From what I have learned about the seal hunt the ice is not a safe place and both the conservationists and the seal hunters are taking on risk by partaking in the activity.

That said, as I have mentioned before on scuba board I support SS. Do I support them 100% all the time no questions asked, no. Anyone who supports any organization 100% all the time no questions asked is likely making a mistake. Will I condemn Paul Watson, someone whom I feel has done a tremendous amount of good for the oceans over a silly song, no. Personally I think the song was meant to be tongue and cheek at best and wasn't pointing at any person's death.

Am I glad 4 sealers died in the process of killing up to 350,000 seals, no I think it's a terrible tragedy. I also disagree that you can compare seal hunting to child prostitution but I will say that seal hunting represents an oddly barbaric and violent way of making money. Paul Watson said in Sharkwater, "That future societies will look at the way we have destroyed and abused our planet the same way we look at the culture of slavery." I am not from the future but I certainly agree with Captain Watson. Hundreds of years ago it was acceptable to own slaves though today the action is not only illegal but greatly detested by society as it should be.

While seal hunting is legal, it's also (without any doubt) a very violent and disturbing part of society. Would you want your young child to watch a video of sealers mashing in the heads of seals? Likely with many young people the sight would induce nightmares or tears.

Paul Watson has assumed a great amount of risk to protect the oceans. His work at stopping shark finning in the Galapagos and Costa Rica was impressive and if you hear him speak he certainly isn't stupid and IMO very in line with his beliefs. I don't think Paul Watson is a radical or wacko as he has been called on this forum. I think Paul Watson is one person who got sick and tired of talk, talk, talk and wanted action. A person who decided that if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. Our society is full of people like that. Often in their own time they were prosecuted, mocked, and called liars and traitors. Later on though once society progressed and caught up with their beliefs they were called heroes.

child? .. your right, many kids in todays "civilized" society, with coddled youth, not knowing, or even caring how the world is somewhere else, they would be disturbed .. but disturbed no differently in showing them cows being killed .. whats the point ?
legal, sustainable, hunting is hunting .. you don't like it, thats OK, but don't go and tell me your "disturbed" and it's "uncivilized" and want me to stop

child? .. your right, many kids in todays "civilized" society, with coddled youth, not knowing, or even caring how the world is somewhere else, they would be disturbed .. but disturbed no differently in showing them cows being killed .. whats the point ?
legal, sustainable, hunting is hunting .. you don't like it, thats OK, but don't go and tell me your "disturbed" and it's "uncivilized" and want me to stop

Totally agree with you on this. "If you don't like whats on the TV turn the channel, don't wreck it for people that like the show" my Grandpas saying. Same as the Anti Gun people, and Door to Door God saleman. If you have a belief don't try to push it on others that don't share your belief.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom