The Canadian Seal Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has the killing of seals in such large scale brought cod back to Eastern Canada?
I think the answer to that question is linked to this question ... has the remaining number of seals been diminished significantly?

I think the answer to both is no, for the same reasons in both cases

Actually there is evidence that the cod stocks are starting to recover. Doubt that it has much if anything to do with the seal cull, but if we can refrain from starting up a fishery prematurely they may actually recover. however at any hint that the stocks are recovering there is immediate calls by some to allow commercial fishing. Sad.

Has the killing of seals in such large scale brought cod back to Eastern Canada?

Nah...I think you would have to club a lot more seals to make an impact.
Foreign fishing vessels just outside the 200 mile limit would be quite a big factor in keeping cod stocks down.

Could be the amount of tourists that have flocked to Newfoundland "kissing the cod" that keeps the population down. :wink:

Seems like you guys would like to harken' back to the good ol' days when you had a pistol in each hand and a wagon load of dead animals. Once you got back to the ranch or plantation a couple strong arm slaves could help you skin and cook um'. After that you could show the kids how to fire a few rounds at the coyotes and give um' a clean rub 'a snuff for the chewin.

My relatives that live in Canada and claim there is reporting for both sides of the issue said that many Canadian scientists believe that over fishing is 99% responsible for Cod's depletion. They said that it's often broad casted and reported that the seal hunt does very little if anything to help the return of cod. As for this being some kind of life line income for the Canadian fishermen, sorry folks don't buy it. Even if it is I think they can modernize a bit and find a more human way of making a living. This is the 21st century boys and girls. If many, many, many people in the U.S. would quit buying Canadian seafood these seal killers would have real economic problems and might be forced to find an alternative means to make money. I know folks who do boycott and as I have sent out mass emails on the subject promoting boycott hopefully many, many more will begin to.

aquaman,

It is easy to sit where you do and say the seal hunt does not economically support the hunters but you are wrong. And what does " I think they can modernize a bit and find a more human way of making a living" really mean, please give me some suggestions.

As many before me have stated, this hunt is no more cruel than any other legal game hunt in North America, not to mention any slaughter house you would care to enter.

I live in the area of this hunt but for the record have never been involved either as a participant or consumer. I have however seen the benefits to the hunters who have little else to make ends meet at certain times of year.

If we were all to boycott for issues such as this perhaps we could pick a better one? How about boycotting the products from countries who are responsible for all the human beings being killed in wars around the world or the countries and industries that pollute this fine planet we all live on.

I guess it is easier to pick on a few hunters in a far away land than try and make a real difference in your own part of the world.

A note about the author from the story:
"Murray Teitel is a Toronto lawyer and journalist."

Yep, when they train them Newfoundlanders for the 21st century jobs they will all want to go to Toronto.:D It happened before, it can happen again. :wink:

Also from the story:
"Fourthly, there is the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) led boycott that is largely responsible for the inflation adjusted $465-million drop in the value of Canadian exports of snow crabs — the main seafood export to the United States from Canada’s sealing provinces — since April, 2005. The value of 2007 snow crab exports is 44% lower than it was in 2004, the year prior to the boycott.
HSUS has to date persuaded almost 3,600 U.S. businesses to participate, including heavy hitters Publix (annual sales $24-billion), Whole Foods ($7-billion), WinCo Foods, Lowe’s Foods, Harris Teeter ($3-billion each) and smaller, seafood-driven ones like Legal Sea Foods ($400-million)." (my highlighting in bold)

Now, has the HSUS taken aim at those folks hunting crab in Alaska? You know, those guys in the Discovery Channel program "Deadliest Catch." Heck are they not doing the same thing as the guys fishing for snow crab?

Is there the same outcry from the Europeans about the crab fishery? Perhaps they should stop over harvesting fish from just outside of the 200 mile limit (cod) rather than focus their attention on something as "minor" as the seal hunt.

Yep, train them for 21st century jobs, like working at McDonalds.

A note about the author from the story:
"Murray Teitel is a Toronto lawyer and journalist."

Yep, when they train them Newfoundlanders for the 21st century jobs they will all want to go to Toronto.:D It happened before, it can happen again. :wink:

Also from the story:
"Fourthly, there is the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) led boycott that is largely responsible for the inflation adjusted $465-million drop in the value of Canadian exports of snow crabs — the main seafood export to the United States from Canada’s sealing provinces — since April, 2005. The value of 2007 snow crab exports is 44% lower than it was in 2004, the year prior to the boycott.
HSUS has to date persuaded almost 3,600 U.S. businesses to participate, including heavy hitters Publix (annual sales $24-billion), Whole Foods ($7-billion), WinCo Foods, Lowe’s Foods, Harris Teeter ($3-billion each) and smaller, seafood-driven ones like Legal Sea Foods ($400-million)." (my highlighting in bold)

Now, has the HSUS taken aim at those folks hunting crab in Alaska? You know, those guys in the Discovery Channel program "Deadliest Catch." Heck are they not doing the same thing as the guys fishing for snow crab?

Is there the same outcry from the Europeans about the crab fishery? Perhaps they should stop over harvesting fish from just outside of the 200 mile limit (cod) rather than focus their attention on something as "minor" as the seal hunt.

Yep, train them for 21st century jobs, like working at McDonalds.

I think you miss the point of the crab boycott- it is a boycott to make Canada stop sealing, what the item is that is used to put pressure on the country is completely irrelevant. The only point is to choose an item which will financially hurt the country. They chose to target Canadian crab. They could have just as easily targeted canadian christmas trees.

Think back to the early US. They protested taxation without representation and had boycotts of many things to protest the stamp act, they chose tea because it would have a large economic impact on the British. They could have chosen anything else, just as HSUS chose crab but could have chosen anything.

Seems like you guys would like to harken' back to the good ol' days when you had a pistol in each hand and a wagon load of dead animals. Once you got back to the ranch or plantation a couple strong arm slaves could help you skin and cook um'. After that you could show the kids how to fire a few rounds at the coyotes and give um' a clean rub 'a snuff for the chewin.

My relatives that live in Canada and claim there is reporting for both sides of the issue said that many Canadian scientists believe that over fishing is 99% responsible for Cod's depletion. They said that it's often broad casted and reported that the seal hunt does very little if anything to help the return of cod. As for this being some kind of life line income for the Canadian fishermen, sorry folks don't buy it. Even if it is I think they can modernize a bit and find a more human way of making a living. This is the 21st century boys and girls. If many, many, many people in the U.S. would quit buying Canadian seafood these seal killers would have real economic problems and might be forced to find an alternative means to make money. I know folks who do boycott and as I have sent out mass emails on the subject promoting boycott hopefully many, many more will begin to.

wow, this is worth quoting it so you wont edit it when you get sober and read it again!!!

And how about your shark finning thread aquaman? didn't get much interest I see with only 8 replies. Why?

I sincerely think you have good intentions Aquaman and I dont put you in the SS fanatics pool. But you have a lot of misconceptions about nature and life in general. And this last post, full of sarcasm, was just not a good way to get credibility.

What's a "human way to make a living"? There is no more human way to make a living than to hunt/fish/gather.

sounds like something Watson could say:

The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life to poison the earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the gun shoots death, and purifies the earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth... and kill! --from the movie Zardoz

Back
Top Bottom