The CCR One Year Later - Some Random Thoughts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
One year later... Well, actually, I did start pre-training on my CCR about 4 months before my class. :eyebrow:

But it's been a year and more than 100 dives since I took my CCR classes and I'm still alive! :D Done dives down to something like 240', much of it on a scooter, dived off shore and private boat and charter.

So it's one year later, and here are some random observations:

• My buddy dives a Meg & I dive an Inspiration (we both use Hammerhead electronics), and you definitely throw away more scrubber material using the smaller canister.
  • The rig is better on my back than the doubles were, but I still injure my back regularly on the other stuff, like the big O2/HE bottles, or helping my OC friends and stuff like that. Just can't blame the doubles anymore.
  • My friends at the dive shop forget who I am, and on the rare visit make comments like, "Well, gee wiz, who is this stranger who is too good to come buy the shop anymore?" Of course, they wouldn't forget who I am if they hung around the shop less and went diving more. :wink:
  • The CCR and I have a very dysfunctional relationship. The more I dive it, the more it seems to want to kill me, and yet the more I love it. It just seems to function so perfectly and easily every dive that it pulls me in to trusting it to always work. The more I dive it, the more I trust it. And yet, should I just forget a single O-ring, I could fall asleep during the dive unaware and never come home. Increasing compliancy is the natural result of consistent functionality. I must fight to distrust this machine on every dive for it to actually be trustworthy. I must continue to discipline myself to use both the written and mental checklist every dive, period.
  • My OC buddies do not appreciate how amazing it is when I actually control my buoyancy as well as they do, and they look bored when I point it out to them post dive.
  • Deep dives are so easy! Mixing is a non-event compared to OC. Cost of gas is minuscule. I have a bail-out bottle I filled 6 months ago. I'll run it empty soon on a bail-out drill, just to give it a fresh fill.
  • There is a serenity to the easy drifting deco ascent, without needing to do switches, that you don't get with the regimented OC move-and-stop, bottle switching deco procedures.
  • Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. Pre-dive, post-dive. O-rings and sensors and connections and electronics and buttons and wires and everything else. More time in the dive room pre-dive.
  • The most common time for an OC diver to strike up a conversation with you, or ask you a question is during the pre-breathe.
  • I am dieing to dive the CCR solo (intentional wording), but have managed to ignore the evil calling. The idea is as selfish as it is appealing.
  • I like the shear volume of ways there are to handle a malfunction or mishap underwater, and the removal of the time factor, which makes the flexibility of the CCR in a problem situation wonderful (assuming one is up on their skills and keeps ones head together). But I miss the utter simplicity and highest safety of good DIR-style team diving. There is no doubt, the CCR is the ultimate stroke machine.
  • I miss being able to swivel my head around.
  • I can feel it in my jaw muscles the day after a couple of long dives.
  • It's still not as easy to clip and unclip stuff as it was OC.
  • The (bubble-free) quiet is amazing, until my buddy starts yelling at me or singing.
  • I still enjoy the geek-factor a bunch.
  • When they finally invent the $19.95 CO2 detector, everyone will dive a rebreather. :D
Year two, here we go!

Interesting thoughts, Rick. Thanks for posting them.

I periodically get a twinge of interest in rebreathers . . . but then I remember bailout, and realize how little advantage to ME there would be, for the additional work involved.

While I don't dive a CCR and don't know if I ever will/would, I enjoyed your post. I expect many folks have had the same feeling you have.

I've been planning to switch to a rebreather for a while now... I really enjoyed your post

Rick,
Thanks for the post. I am no where near ready to think about a rebreather, but I have been reading about them. Why did you choose the Inspiration over other models? Have you ever missed dives due to malfunctions? There was a rebreather diver on a dive I was on earlier this year. Once we got on the boat he had a malfunction and missed diving that day. He was not upset over the malfunction and said that occasionally he missed dives because of his rebreather.
In your opinion is that the norm or is it due to a diver not going through complete pre-dive check lists?

Rick,
Thanks for the post. I am no where near ready to think about a rebreather, but I have been reading about them. Why did you choose the Inspiration over other models? Have you ever missed dives due to malfunctions? There was a rebreather diver on a dive I was on earlier this year. Once we got on the boat he had a malfunction and missed diving that day. He was not upset over the malfunction and said that occasionally he missed dives because of his rebreather.
In your opinion is that the norm or is it due to a diver not going through complete pre-dive check lists?
I have called a few dives due to CCR issues. But then, I've called a few on OC as well. There ARE more things to go wrong, but with due diligence those malfunctions can be (almost) eliminated. Getting upset is, IMHO, evidence of the wrong attitude. You see, to me it's a positive to discover a problem BEFORE the dive. That's what the checks are for. IMHO, a CCR diver should be easy about calling a dive, with a gentle shrug and good attitude. Better than being irritated and maybe pressing on when you might be better served enjoying some down time and helping out the other divers. Still, calling the dive due to a malfunction should be unusual if there is proper prep and maintenance.

I didn't choose the Inspo, it choose me. My instructor is a good friend (he brought me from single tanks to technical diving over several years) and he is certified to instruct on the inspo, and I wanted him. There was also a very good deal on one, so between the money and the instructor there was little choice for me if I wanted to go CCR.

Thanks for the feedback, Rick.

My dive buddy is panting to get a rebreather. For my part, not so much. Your thoughts reinforce some of the reasons why I'm not that eager to spend the money and time going that path.

Still, the day may come when my life goes a different direction, and I enjoy hearing about your adventures!

Doc

I have called a few dives due to CCR issues. But then, I've called a few on OC as well. There ARE more things to go wrong, but with due diligence those malfunctions can be (almost) eliminated. Getting upset is, IMHO, evidence of the wrong attitude. You see, to me it's a positive to discover a problem BEFORE the dive. That's what the checks are for. IMHO, a CCR diver should be easy about calling a dive, with a gentle shrug and good attitude. Better than being irritated and maybe pressing on when you might be better served enjoying some down time and helping out the other divers. Still, calling the dive due to a malfunction should be unusual if there is proper prep and maintenance.
That was exactly his attitude. No big deal, let me give you guys still wearing those heavy bm doubles a hand.

My dive buddy is panting to get a rebreather.
That's the main reason I went CCR. My main tech buddy (actually, the only one certified to my level in my area) went to CCR, and I thought it best for both of us to match, and I didn't want to leave him as the lone CCR guy in our area. I still agree it's safer for him with two of us.

Took my first breaths on a rebreather last week-end ... actually I tried the Inspiration, rEvo, two different models of Meg, and a KISS Explorer.

I'm afraid I liked it a little bit too much. Probably gonna be saving my pennies for a rEvo or KISS before long ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom