The Christening in the Atlantic (Long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveh3:
I thought thats what spare air was for.:D
As long as it's redundant spair airs, like jonny's "bandoleer o' spair airs".

grunzster:
That sounds like my first trip too. Same trip as XJae's that is, and 2 other cherries. Made one dive, got sick and passed out for the rest of the day. only 5 out of 12 divers did a second dive that day (and even those guys were feeding fish on the SI).
I made it all the way to the end. I thought I was safe until he fired up the diesels. The fumes are pure evil. :D

coach_izzy:
I've decided to go for the 40. I will ask Joe to help me configure it and set it up.
Good show. I've set up a bunch using this method. http://www.dir-diver.com/en/equipment/stagebottle_rigging.html Most of the parts are available at Lowe's, make sure you get 316 stainless clips. www.reefscuba.com sells 5.25" stainless hose clamps and a unique rubber gasket to put under the clamp (imo, much better than the inner tube).

I love spair air. I think that the diving world would be a safer place if every diver carried them. For longer deco dives, spair air can be worn on bandaliers. Remember, green spair airs are for your deco!

I use a 30 CF slung bottle when I dive singles. According to Frank's calculations with my sac rate plugged in, after ascent and a 5 minute safety stop, I'll surface with about 34 CF of air left in my bailout bottle.

PS
Unless you have the absolute need for doubled 120s (or are clinically insane as I am with my LP125s), don't bother. Those tanks are more than anyone would want to deal with climing up a rocking boat ladder in 6 foot swells.

Unless you have the absolute need for doubled 120s (or are clinically insane as I am with my LP125s), don't bother. Those tanks are more than anyone would want to deal with climing up a rocking boat ladder in 6 foot swells.[/QUOTE]

You are the man if you double the Faber LP125s. I dive them as singles down in Va. Beach & we have similiar conditions. I couldnt imagine climbing the ladder in 4-5 ft seas with that load on my back. You must do some serious deco since I dove last Sun to 100fsw for 39 min & still had 1000psi in the tank.

Izzy you did good & I use Bonine, but I just take 1 when I get up in the morning before the dive.

Hope you guys (& gals) dont mind a Mid - Atlantic Bottom Feeder invading your cyber space.:D

RAD Diver:
Unless you have the absolute need for doubled 120s (or are clinically insane as I am with my LP125s), don't bother. Those tanks are more than anyone would want to deal with climing up a rocking boat ladder in 6 foot swells.
Amen to that. It only took one dive in my 119s right after doubling them up for me to deal them away for a second set of 80s!

RAD Diver:

I have double 108's and I love them. it was a bit to get in and out on the 13th but I did not have that much trouble. just a little slower. I was out this same day and watched the divers of the sea lion from the back of the Ol'salty II. that looks like a pain in the arss to get back on board that boat.

AquaHump:
I was out this same day and watched the divers of the sea lion from the back of the Ol'salty II. that looks like a pain in the arss to get back on board that boat.

With that nice tuna door at the stern,the Ol' Salty II is a real treat to get you in/out of the water, there's no arguing about that. While the Sea Lion is less typical, with the T ladder on the starboard side, once you do it 1x, it's no big deal to flop over 1 gunnal and climb in over the other, even in those seas. However, YMMV

AquaHump:
I was out this same day and watched the divers of the sea lion from the back of the Ol'salty II. that looks like a pain in the arss to get back on board that boat.

The boat re-entry was challenging compared to the boat re-entries in warm water diving, at least in my experience. I would not call it easy, but I would not call it terribly difficult either. Just a new technique.

Fine looking boat that Ol'Salty II, and pretty large! The only thing that had me puzzled was seeing people fishing as divers were down. Is that common in NJ? Or was the motion sickness making me see things?

I did a 36 minute runtime on the USS Bass (150 feet switching to O2 for 11 minutes at 15 feet) and a 35 minute runtime on the Idene (92 feet 7 minutes of deco on my back gas) on a single 130 and came up from the Idene with 1200 pounds left in my tank.

Never seen anyone fishing while divers were down before, but Captain Paul on Diversion II was fishing during the SI when I was on that boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom