The Christening in the Atlantic (Long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coach_izzy

Contributor
Reaction score
Finally, after many delays, and cancellations because of the miserable weather, I was granted the privilege to dive Wreck Valley. This was my first trip into the moody waters of the Jersey Coast and what an adventure it was! Please bear with me as I share my experiences.

My gear bag for this trip consisted of the following:

• Bare XCD2 Tech Dry, with Bare T-200 undergarment. Purchased May 2005 after taking the Dry Suit Class with Lakeland Divers, and trying several models. I felt in love with this dry suit. Not the lightest, or fastest to dry, but I knew that, and that wasn't an issue.

• OMS SS Backplate with Comfort harness, and Oxycheq 30# Wing. Purchased October 2005. After diving in Cozumel with SS HP tanks and a Diverite Backplate and wing (rented) I decided to switch. I had tried SS tanks before in Florida with my Jacket BC, with very uncomfortable results. The tank flipped me over a couple of times and it did not feel very stable. Not so with the BP and wings. What a beautiful thing!

• FABER 120 HP SS tanks, filled with Nitrox 30. Love those tanks! Slightly larger than the AL 80, but lots more gas and lot less in the weight belt.

• DUI Weight & Trim 2. Once the Dry Diving started, ballast increased. The weight belt got too ackward and unbalanced, hence the DUI harness. I cannot praise it enough! I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to weight belt.

• Regulator was the Mares V16, with a proton first stage and Octopus. Mask was the Mares X-Vision, perhaps the best mask I've ever tried. Hood was a DUI goldcore for drysuit. A warm and easy to don and doff hood. Standard 5 mm neoprene gloves completed the attire.

• My bailout system... Hold on tight... I'm ashamed to admit it... was the Spare Air! :11: I know, I know... but allow me to continue please.
The boat was the Sea Lion. The date was Sunday November 13. The forecast out of Brielle, NJ predicted 2-4 waves, which seemed alright for Atlantic Diving. The Wreck was decided that very morning. The skipper suggested the Mohawk. Though it was Sunny and it seemed calm at the inlet, the captain looked around and said "I don't like the looks of this. Let's go to the Mohawk. I wanted to do the Stolt, but I believe that we may get creamed if we go that far". Experience is great in a Captain.

I hired a Divemaster for this trip. His name is Joe Homsi. He was the assistant instructor for the Drysuit course, a member of the Tridents hunting team, and a very experienced Wreck Valley diver.

In trying to stay on the Holistic side of things, I opted for the electronic Relief Band to deal with motion sickness. Joe had suggested Dramamine or Bonine, but I figured that since I had never experienced motion sickness before, even in rough waters, I'd be ok. The Atlantic was a different animal though.

The 2-4 waves of the forecast, were only that, a forecast. The Relief Band was holding me well at first, but as we neared our destination, it started losing its effectiveness. Suiting up provided to be quite a challenge. Having the Relief Band at the highest setting made my grip slightly useless, and stopped providing relief. Joe was awesome in helping me suit up. He could see by my face what was going on. Staring at the horizon did very little to provide relief. The damage was already done. It was too late. the 2-4 waves were now more like 5-7 with ocassional 8 footers.

Joe suggested that we splash pronto, that way, the sickness would go away. Taking deep breaths and trying to stay focused I comply. Steve the captain, and Cindy Rolland, were helping us suit up and gave me instructions as to how to make it more efficient. Fins first. BC, next. Adjust it and clip on attachements. Gloves next. Hood and mask last. Nobody was wearing snorkels.

In seeing other divers suit-up I noticed something. Their gear was cofigured QUITE differently from mine. No retractable clips, only surgical tubbing with brass clips. No fancy buckels on knives, more surgical tubbing instead. ALL of the divers carried a pony bottle of AT LEAST 19 CF. Lots of re-arrangements are in order.

So it's our turn to splash. I learned the "Jersey Flop". Kneel on the side, holding firmly with your right side. Use your left to move all attachements out of the way, then hold mask and regulator. Roll and land on back. If ok, give signal and proceed to anchor line. It felt very natural, and in my opinion, far less traumatic than the giant stride and the back roll. I think I'm going to use it even in tropical boats.

After heading for the anchor we started our descent. Going along the anchor line, feeling the ocean toying around with me, descending into murky darkness, was something very unique, a very powerful experience. After reaching the bottom, Joe tied a line. Visibility was about 3 ft, with some spots nearing 10. There was very little to see, except Jellies, some fish, and lots of Junk of what was once a ship. Down 70 feet, after about 15 minutes, my left ear started giving me trouble. It had been achy and had a hard time equalizing the previous week at Dutch Springs. It had gone away, but now it seemed to have returned. We terminated the dive and started ascending. Had to slow down because I experienced a reverse squeeze. It did not last long, but was sufficient to have me concerned.

The safety stop was interesting. Holding to the anchor, bobbing up and down, it was surreal. Once on the surface, the ocean seemed moodier than before. Climbing the ladder with full gear was also a new experience. Perhaps the most challenging boat re-entry I've ever experienced. Once on the boat, Joe and I went over the dive. I decided to skip the second dive on account of the ear. It was a hard decision, but now thinking back, I'm glad I did.

The seas were now about 6 ft, with several 8 footers, and an ocassional 10 footer. That only meant one thing. The return of the sickness. I had forgotten all about it. I put the Relief Band back on, hoping for a miracle. I'm thirsty now. Had to reach down for Gatorade. Take a couple of sips, then it happened. Leaning over the rail of the boat, letting nature take its course, suffocating spasms, with the body refusing any conscious commands until the stomach is empty. Feel a little better now. Of course, had to stay hydrated, so I keep drinking water and gatorade. The cycle repeats. This went over 4 more times. The last time was kind of unexpected. Joe had gone for a second dive solo and had brought up a lobster. He was in good spirits and hungry and pulled out a huge sandwich. The sight of the sandwich was enough to make retch with far more violence than before. The pressure build up made my sinuses ache, and my eyes felt as though they were about to pop out of my head.

Time to return. Water still choppy and it was incredible to see the size of the waves chasing us. The sun is high and shiny, and a pleasant warmth and drowsiness surrounds all the divers. Everyone is napping in whatever position they're. Some are even standing up and napping. I'm not quite asleep. My eyes are closed, and though I cannot really move, I hear it all and feel the pleasant mix of sun warmth and salty wind. The entry back to the Inlet is a welcome change. The sea sickness is but gone, and thinking about I started realizing that Joe's sandwich looked pretty damn good. I'm feeling better except a slight throbbing in my head from all the retching. We're back and ready to unload.

So it went my first dive in the Atlantic. Would I be back? ABSOLUTELY! I'm taking a lot of lessons home, and intend to apply them. From the things that I take with me I can conclude that:

• EVERYONE works as a team in the boat, whether crew or paying customer, they ALL pitch in to make sure ALL the gear is in and out of the boat promptly, regardless of whose it is. Everyone helps each other in and out of the water, and will do their best to comfort you during misery.

• Spare air is NOT suitable for wreck valley diving. Because of the nature of diving in this area, a Pony is indispensable, and something that I will acquire. I will be getting a 30 cf, Aluminum for my pony with another V16 and a proton first stage.

• My gear needs to get reconfigured ASAP. I looked more like a caribbean diver than a wreck diver.

• Relief band is useless in this area, maybe 2-or 3 footers, but beyond that, more a discomfort than a real solution. The rest of the divers either had dramamine or had developed their sea legs.

• Seeing the Doctor on November 22. Will get a referral for an ENT, get things taken care of. I've no pain or discomfort, but I do not want to risk it again.
I've to thank the crew of the Sea Lion and Joe for a great trip (despite the discomfort). The sickness is a but a memory, and more a badge of honor than something that will prevent me from diving the atlantic again.

Questions and comments are welcome as long as they're constructive. If you post with attitude, you'll get attitude in return. Nobody was born knowing, and the learning process is part of the fun, thus, I share my experience, and I would love to hear from yours.

What an adventure this was. Some people think I'm nuts for having fun despite the sickness and the weather, but I guess they do not understand. The Atlantic with its roughness, has an alluring uniqueness that I find hard to resist. Diving will probably resume early next year. We'll see what the good doc says. Thanks all for taking the time to read this, and once again, constructive questions, comments, please fire away.

Izzy -

I also was out on the Sea Lion on Sunday. I have to give it to you and the female diver (also new) for not freaking because of conditions and going ahead with your dives. Good job! Things aren't usually that bad and I'm glad to hear that you aren't turned away because of 1 day. Joe's a good knowledgeable guy and you picked a good one to take along with you for your 1st dive here. Regarding your seasickness I can tell you what works for me. I take a bonine before bed and 1 about an hour before I get on the boat. Seems to work for me but YMMV. I think Joe uses the patch and it's great for him. Again, good job and hang in there, diving here is really great!

nice report, glad you busted your cherry and will be back for more.
it sounds a lot like my first nj wreck dive. the seas were bad and the
dm on the trip brought a bag of cherries which made for a colorful
display over the rail. lol.

i was out on the stingray on sun, also hoping to get to the stolt.
you described the seas perfectly. we redirected to the dykes in
70', the vis was about 10'. i was happy to get back to the dock.

glad to hear your getting a 30, personally i would never go smaller
than a 19, but i actually sling a 40. its good experience and i'll
switch it to pure o2 from the backgas i put in it now when i finally
get around to doubling my tanks.

you'll find a lot of great posts on here regarding gear configuration,
and also on our private forum at www.wreckvalley.com/forum

take care and congratulations.

Just a suggestion as I get seasick in waves over 4ft, try meclazine instead. Dramine and Bonine both make me sleepy whereas meclazine doesn't. None of the homeo stuff works in my opinion. And it's cheap, bottle of 100 25mg is less than $10. Always try any medication out before trying to dive with it of course. Your results may vary.

Congrats on your dive btw. It is way different than any Carib diving you'll ever do.

Congrats Izzy,
Sounds like you did real well for your 1st WV dive.
I was also on the Stingray and decided to sit out the second dive. Wasn't sure if I could get back up the ladder in those seas.

I have found that having a good night sleep, being well hydrated, eating healthy food, and staying relaxed helps with getting your sea legs.
With that said,
I always bring a box of donoughts for the ride out. Most of us chow them down but there are those who take one look at them and start turning green. Funny thing is, It's the only time I even desire donoughts.

Glad to hear your planning to go back.

Great story congats on going ahead with the dive. I have always gone with the Bonine. 1 before bed and the other when I get up to go to on the dive. I would recomend going with a 30 cf pony and attach to the 120. Swing bottles are good but get more experience before you do that.
You also might want to think about a swing line. This is just a rope that is 5' or so that you can attach to the upline the clip slides up and down and you stay attached to the line.
I always like animal crackers on the way out helps coat the stomach.
If I do forget to take something or I feel sick out there I just like to get it out and be done with it.
Always remember its not who looks the best out there.
Good luck.

atxer:
Swing bottles are good but get more experience before you do that.

I'm not going to waste time with the whole sling vs. hard mount argument, but I don't agree with this statement. It'll take one dive to get used to at Dutch Springs. Anyone who still falls in love with diving Jersey after being in 6-8 footers has a problem. All the people I know with that problem end up filling the 40's they sling as ponies with O2 two or three years down the line. Save yourself the expense down the road, Coach, and just buy the 40 and sling it.

And congrats on your first dive. Jersey's a heck of a great place to dive. I was out on Sunday, too, you're a trooper for battling through that to make your first dive!

francousteau:
Izzy -

I also was out on the Sea Lion on Sunday. I have to give it to you and the female diver (also new) for not freaking because of conditions and going ahead with your dives. Good job! Things aren't usually that bad and I'm glad to hear that you aren't turned away because of 1 day. Joe's a good knowledgeable guy and you picked a good one to take along with you for your 1st dive here. Regarding your seasickness I can tell you what works for me. I take a bonine before bed and 1 about an hour before I get on the boat. Seems to work for me but YMMV. I think Joe uses the patch and it's great for him. Again, good job and hang in there, diving here is really great!

Thank you very much Frank. And to rephrase what you just mentioned, eveyone told me that the conditions that we had were as bad as it gets. I put it in a positive spin. If that's as bad as it gets, well, I already hit rock bottom, and there's nowhere to go but up. If the conditions are that bad in my next trip, then they will not be a shock.

Joe is terrific! He gave me a lot of useful feedback the day after, and I cannot wait to dive with him again. He made the very same suggestion that you did in regards to the sea sickness medication. In fact, I had picked up Bonine the weekend prior, but once again, in trying to keep it holistic, I went with the relief band. Interestingly, I went to their website and I could not find a link to send them comments. Regardless, I'm a fast learner, and I can say with certaininty that I have LEARNED my lesson. :D

I loved the crew and divers of the Sea Lion. They made the experience the more memorable. Thank you for the feedback, and I'll see you in the boat next year.

XJae:
glad to hear your getting a 30, personally i would never go smaller
than a 19, but i actually sling a 40. its good experience and i'll
switch it to pure o2 from the backgas i put in it now when i finally
get around to doubling my tanks.

you'll find a lot of great posts on here regarding gear configuration,
and also on our private forum at www.wreckvalley.com/forum

take care and congratulations.

The more I think about it, the more the 30s sound more suitable, though the 40s come a very second close. I'm planning on using the pony as a pure alternate source for emergencies. I still have plenty of research to do, so I will keep browsing and asking. BTW, I checked www.wreckvalley.com and is awesome. I'll be there more often. Thanks again

if you are going to sling it i'd do the 40 for the reasons frank mentioned,
especially if you plan on doubling up for some deeper ne wreck dives.

that is probably the average worst seas you'll see cause usually you wouldn't
be out there to begin with, but we have seen steady 8-10's with an occasional
12 rolling by after starting out in 3-5 footers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom