The Conga Line w/ Bulls, Blacktips, GG's, and turtle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay so the day started out with Chugger and his girl (Karen) picking me up about 6 this morning. Actually they were a tad late but came bearing NOS. Anyone that knows me knows that I love NOS :D With a smile and a thank you we were off.

Arrived at GulfCoastDiver and Kathleen's house at about seven. Loaded up the boat and we were at the dock round about 7:20. Seas were already looking very inviting. Inside John's Pass seas were flat, outside they were about 2-4's. Current under the bridge was almost nil which is odd. Anyway the ride was still good, the sun was shining, and I was amongst friends. Along the way GCD realized his GPS had cleared itself somehow and we still needed to figure out where we wanted to go.

We decided we didn't care to go way out today as it was the first time in a long time GCD's boat had been in the water (ran like a charm the whole trip btw). John offered up the tanks (which I am not a big fan of) or The Orange Tug. I chose the tug as it has been a long while since I visited it (before you go running to the OT, sit back down I already told the fish to go hide somewhere else and wait for me to come
back :tongue::devil:)

Thirty minutes later I was splashing. I was pretty sure I could see the bottom from the boat. Once I splashed I knew it was going to be a great day! Every fiber in my body zinged as the viz was brilliant and I was already seeing fish everywhere! Gosh I so need to be living under the sea. :cool2: Viz horizontally was about 25-30 foot.

Anywhoozle, I loaded my gun and headed over to a debris field. Fish all around me and in front of me a bait wall about 15' high! I noodled around a couple minutes until Chugger and Karen appeard. I had lent Karen my camera so she could try out underwater photography so I was quite excited when they arrived and she saw her first baby Goliath Grouper. Three foot or so from grouper was a nurse shark taking a snooze. Once Karen and Chugger were set I started looking for something to shoot :cool2: First thing was a grouper. Unfortunately my gun broke. Fortunately however, I brought an extra on the boat so I immediately headed back to trade guns out :crafty:

Upon returning the same bait wall was still there. I hung back a bit to see what was following it. Several different species of jacks were about (probably five or so varieties). Towards the end of the wall were about 30 or so Goliath Groupers and fading in and out were some BlackTips and Bulls :D This girls was very happy! As for the Goliaths, I seriously could not count them all. I tried counting in groups of three and four... They just kept going.

I finally tore myself away from the bait wall, after letting some Almaco Jacks circle and entertain me for a bit. I headed over to the tug and found hogs, snapper, and grouper along my way. Inside the wreck I found the friendliest turtle. Slowly I scooted closer and closer to him until I was no more than a foot away. About then, I spotted a huge grouper and fired off a shot. Pulling out my shaft I found TWO groupers on the end of my spear (funny thing, my friend Donny just did that about a week ago).

As I was getting my fish together, I sensed a shark about. Over to my right, there he was a BlackTip Shark. Absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, I had no camera at that point. And I'm thinking that, unlike the friendly turtle who was kind enough to allow me to hang out, he wanted my dinner! Heading back to the boat I kept an eye for him and saw him from time to time... Mr Sheister looking for a free dinner :no::wink:

Back on the boat, I think Kathleen may have wanted to stick a reel in mouth. I couldn't stop talking about the fantastic dive I had just had and all the things I had just seen.

Second dive was more of the first! Same bait wall and same critters. This time I had the camera though - and I was looking for proof. :devil: I managed a couple shots of sharks. Though very faint and not worthy of showing I do have them.:devil: I also got a couple shots of a mom and baby goliath. The baby was quite curious. Mom was kind enough to allow me to get close and snap a few shots.

After the GG's, Chugger, myself, and Karen headed over to the tug. I wanted them to see the turtle. Luckily he was still there :D We got a few shots of him and even some play time afterwhich we then commenced back to killing again. Managed to take half a hog's head off and then watch him swim away :rolleyes: After goofing with the GG's, turtle, and a bit of killing, we three headed back to the boat. I decided to stay a bit longer and see what else I could get. Took a couple shots but didn't nail anything but a SheepsHead:sad:

Heading back to the boat again, I looked down to see yet another shark. This guy was pretty small and I can't be sure what he was. Perhaps a Lemon but again I am not 100% on that.

Anwhoozle, heading back in the seas were just a ripple. We skipped along at top speed and were back to the dock in not time flat. Poor Kathleen... I can't tell you how many times I told this person, who btw did not dive today, what great dives I had. <snicker>

Anyway that is all I've got to say for now. Follow the link to view a couple of pics if you'd like.http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=26958&id=1209796883&l=708b760295

GCD, Kathleen, Karen, and Chugger, thanks for a super wonderful day :bananalama:

Last edited:
I also saw a nice sized RoughTailStingRay. Actually Brian, I hadn't seen one of those since I was with you out at the Blackthorn.

p.s. I found a very nice knife today. Please no one claim it as I have already become very attached to it. :D

Bulls, Blacktips, GG's, and turtles, oh my!

:)

I will have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised today. What a beautiful, awesome day! I was dreading the worst, and got some of the best diving I've seen in a while. Thank you GCD and Miss D for a wonderful day on the water. I just wish we were eating some of these imaginery grouper Miss D supposedly had to let go.

It sound like you all had a great dive. Sorry I missed this one, but I was having fun with Lil Bit's Lil Bit. Great Pics MisD.

Sounds like a great trip! Nice pictures also!

I read on another forum (spearboard) that there have been a lot of "friendly" bull shark sightings lately

Sean

WOW! That sounded awesome. Can't wait to get out there myself. SOON!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom