The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I snorkeled at the BHB this morning - my first time there.

I got in the water around 8:45am, around high tide. The visibility was at least 30 ft and the water was a tad chilly to me even wearing a 3mm shorty and 3/2 hood. It was cloudy and breezy this morning so there wasn't much ambient light and, fortunately, not too many anglers casting off the pier. The quantity and variety of marine life was pretty amazing. I had a blast. I'm looking forward to future explorations there.

Driving home I really appreciated my car's seat warmer. :D

P.S. A tip o' my hood to Donna of PuraVida divers who let me follow her group's dive flag.

Whatever kind of ray that is... I saw it in the channel just before east span....

So does Pura Vida rent the dive flags? We are coming out to Fla in late spring and hoped to dive there but we won't have one. Any other rules of the park we need to know?

BTW, really enjoying all the photos posted. I knew there were seahorses and batfish seen there but had no idea there were so many different species and colors along with frogfish, too. Wow! Keep the photos coming! :D

robin

When your trip gets closer post on here and perhaps you can get a tour from some of the locals, and not even have to worry about renting a dive flag!

So does Pura Vida rent the dive flags?
I don't know about Pura Vida, but Force E is very, very, very close to the bridge and you can get whatever you need there.

Yep, when driving east from I-95 just before the BHB you pass right by the Force-E store in Riviera Beach conveniently located on your right. Pura Vida divers is just beyond the BHB. I'm not affiliated with Force-E (which I'd heard of) or Pura Vida (which I didn't even know existed until Donna mentioned it).

Oh, a question for BHB regulars. I know that anglers fish off the old and new bridges. I suspect the anglers are out in force on the weekends; are there a lot of folks fishing on weekdays? For scuba divers, folks fishing probably isn't an issue. For snorkelers it's unnerving to see those lines hanging off the bridges.

Regarding the fishermen the key is when going to those areas to surface and take a look before you are about to go through the areas so you can be courteous and avoid them.

Robin,

Post when you get a better date when you will be here and I am sure you may get a local buddy to tag along.

Rhatsa,

I have dove on weekdays without a soul around, diver or fisherman. I have found the earlier in the a.m. the high tide, the less folks around.

I would not dive this on a weekend unless it was a night dive that a local shop sponsored; I like my solitude!

I googled "southern eagle ray" and ran into a Univ of Fl document that indicates that it could be a Bull Nosed Ray. If there is a picture where a dorsal fin may be seen--there are some ID possibilities in that document................good luck and please post it here.

You are correct. I sent Ricks photo to George Burgess at the Univ of Fl & he confirms it is a bullnose ray ( Myliobatis freminvillei). I searched 2 days for it on the west side only to have Al tell me he saw it on the East side. Isn't the bridge a marvelous place?

So does Pura Vida rent the dive flags? We are coming out to Fla in late spring and hoped to dive there but we won't have one. Any other rules of the park we need to know?

BTW, really enjoying all the photos posted. I knew there were seahorses and batfish seen there but had no idea there were so many different species and colors along with frogfish, too. Wow! Keep the photos coming! :D

robin

If Pura Vida does not, Force-E located on Blue Heron Blvd does

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom