The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoolTech:
the ocean upwelling was in full swing at BHB. Water was green, vis was about 5' and temperatures had pockets in the 80s and pockets down into the lower 70s. The upwelling is here!

Thanks Cooltech, first you talk us out of diving Jupiter on the 2nd, and now BHB:D
We were considering the nite bridge dive until I saw your message. Oh WELL!! I usually hope for westerly winds, now looking for easterly to maybe rid us of this upwelling.
Now, now... This happened last year too:D

I remember diving the Miss Lourdies during the upwelling and having to deal with 64 F water without a wetsuit in the middle of July!

I was checking out a potential new bridge/shore (troll) dive on Thursday up in the Jupiter area and ran into the upwelling there... Not only that but the currents were running 1 1/2 hour behind the closest inlet area there... I had to put that snorkel on hold due to the upwelling crap in the water

I remember diving the Miss Lourdies during the upwelling and having to deal with 64 F water without a wetsuit in the middle of July!

I was checking out a potential new bridge/shore (troll) dive on Thursday up in the Jupiter area and ran into the upwelling there... Not only that but the currents were running 1 1/2 hour behind the closest inlet area there... I had to put that snorkel on hold due to the upwelling crap in the water

Yes, I remember that dive. Can still hear the screams through my regulator. :shocked2:

without a wetsuit

So what else is new??? Oh fearless one!

Yes Fri eve at BHB was an interesting dive. My computer said 81 but felt like 71. Viz was green & yup about 5-8 ft. I kept looking for my flag fearing I had moved too far off of it only to see it ~10 ft from where I was. We did manage to find the headshields & 3 other nudis including the cubana headshield (the one with dots in your posted pics) & a baby nurse shark!

Last edited:
Brrr.. hope that upwelling is gone by next weekend.

I hope the upwelling event is gonzo soon--I do remember 3 ft viz at the bridge once last year-most everyone got out soonish. Just a 1/2 to 1 hr dive rather than 1 to 2 hours.

I'm hoping someone will report the viz, etc. from this morning.............the tide times today would have been nice for a 2 BHB dive day--with maybe a boat in between:D

We are www divers: Warm Water Wimps

Last edited:
I hope it is gone by this weekend, too. It would be a shame to drive down from VA and not get to dive.

Joanie and I did the night dive tonight. I was a wee bit chilled in my 3mm farmer bottom with lycra suit underneath, but I was not suffering. Visibility was gin clear at the beach and under the moored boats, and not bad under the bridge until the outgoing current picked up.

It was a great dive! There were maybe 20 divers and I think everyone got in around two hours. My computer said 82 degrees. I was wearing a 3mm full and was comfortable. There were a couple thermoclines but you were in & out so quick it didn't matter.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom