The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally, the odd un-indentifiable creature who had us all entrhralled--it wriggled, it pulsed, it grew and shrunk......I'm just glad it was only the size of my little finger:
Mystery_Creature2.jpg

Any guesses?

I saw one of these about a month ago: none of my photos turned out any good. I too wondered what it was. After watching wiggle and pulse for a few minutes and photographing it, a fish swam by, scooped it up and ate it. Survival of the fittest I suppose

got out to the bridge a couple of times last week. saw this tiny filefish on a small growth of coral/sponges almost due south of the playground and north of the mooring balls. The fish was no bigger than my pinky finger-nail. this is the best shot I could get since it flitted about

filefish_green_baby_bhb_aug_18_2010.JPG

I seem to be seeing more and more mantis shrimp

mantis_2_early_august_2010.JPG

Jawfish under the west span

PICT3973.JPG

PICT3970.JPG

An octo which seemed pretty unafraid: I probably photographed it for 10 minutes before he finally scooted away

octo_bhb_early_aug_2010.JPG

Very nice shots, Rick. How did you get so close to the Yellow head Jawfish?

Wow wow wow. If the night dive two weeks ago was "Hiding in Plain Sight" last night was "Top Model Tryouts." Every animal we saw wanted to pose for the camera as long as we wanted to take pictures. Or longer! This guy chased after us when we moved on to the seahorse.

Mark from Force E said there were 65 divers in the water. We didn't see that many lights but it could explain the very churned up viz. But I didn't care. There was so much to see we never even made it to the pilings.
NightOcto.jpg

AWESOME dive last night, many thanks to Joanie and Doug! What a dive...and I saw my first ever pipefish! Need to go through my pics.

Very nice shots, Rick. How did you get so close to the Yellow head Jawfish?

thanks Jim; the yellow-headed jawfish under the west span seems to be a bit braver than some of the others that are south of the west span. I have seen Ben and other divers get very close to it and it seems to pretty much ignore the divers. I was able to move within 12 inches of the fish, zoomed in a bit and then cropped the final photo. I was not quite as close as the final photos would suggest

I shot this image in the pilings area earlier this month on my second dive to the bridge and the first bringing my camera along.
I pretty much only shoot wide-angle while underwater and mostly in an overhead environment hence this photo...

Attachments

• DSC_5873ph_01.jpg
    DSC_5873ph_01.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 120
Cool pic Gene. Makes it look pretty sinister, like we're diving in a secret mysterious place instead of under a bridge!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom