The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is very interesting to hear. I had pondered trying night diving there *without* a permit and just pay whatever fine went with it - *if* I happened to get one. My theory, based on reading the "rules", was that the rule is there to keep kids from partying on the beach at night.

I ran that idea by the guy on the phone at an area dive shop and was told that it was more than a fine that I would be facing - they could (would??) confiscate my gear and my car! Hmmm. Sounds kind of harsh. Does that sound right to you locals?

I've since thought about it a bit, and recall that the fellow on the phone said that he could probably line me up a night boat dive, instead. I didn't take it this way at the time and declined, but now I wonder if he meant that the night dive would be *at* the bridge. I don't know how common this is (I'm not a local), but I *have* heard of Jim Abernethy doing a boat night dive there before heading over to the Bahamas.

So, I'm now wondering how much the problem with doing night dives at the bridge is related to stepping on the toes of dive shops/boat captains.:idk: I realize that I could be way off the mark here, but I do tend to ponder too much.:D

I wonder how hard it would be for a local to walk up to whomever is guarding that beach some evening and get the real poop on this and report back. I anxiously await said report.:D

As I further ponder things, if a fellow were to exit the water after a night dive and made his way to his car, it seems that yer only looking at a very short period of time of being "on the beach" - which, to my understanding is the only prohibited activity - as opposed to being in the parking lot, which I understand is open all the time, along with a boat ramp??

Anyway, what am I missing? TIA

Kevin
Savannah
The potential that a few people who don't follow the rules could ruin a good thing for all divers.

It was a fight to get the city to agree with night dive permits. If they feel it is a hassle they could simply vote to discontinue night shore dives all together.

Only the boat ramp and boat ramp parking is open 24 hrs. Parking around the rest of the park and the park itself closes at 10 PM.

Beach access and access to the play area close at sunset. At Park Ranger discretion; vehicles that appear to be abandoned or have no owner present in the area of the vehicle can be ticketed and towed at owner expense. (The meaning of this is to allow people who are using the pavilions to continue using the pavilions until the park closes at 10 PM) Vehicles that appear to be out of place could face ticketing and towing
---

But, why take a chance on screwing it up for all the divers who follow the rules?

Sounds like someone was trying to sell you thier services.

The state of Florida only allows the confication of property used in the commission of a felony and I don't believe a night dive has been made a felony yet.

So unless you were caught in posession of drugs or controlled substances while doing your night dive it would only be a fine if it is actually prohibited to do so.

Agreed.

The only issue about a night dive there...the park/beach is closed. The park is open to fisherman and boaters though.

No picnicking, no swimming ~ no diving.

Nobody's gonna confiscate anything. Just do this :idk: if a ranger, deputy or staff says you can't be there. Be respectful and remember :idk:.

From what I have been told by the WPB park district (on the phone) you face a fine plus possibly have your car ticketed and towed. Exiting a dive to find your car gone would not be fun. The rangers have a pretty strong presence in the park at all times. I would not recommend risking it.

The Force E sponsored night dives are not always convenient for Mo-Fri 9-5 working people, to be sure. This week's is on Tuesday night, 12/21, for example.

Little Deeper is a charter boat. They will do a bridge night dive upon request - and only need six divers to make it a go. I've gone out with them - they are a good little boat. If I remember correctly we had to be out of the water by 10pm.

As you all know (because you follow this thread) Blue Heron Bridge is an incredibly unique and special dive site. I'm not 100% sure but I think there was a time when divers had to fight to keep it open for diving. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken. Let's all make sure we don't jeopardize losing this gem by intentionally bending or breaking the few rules that are in place.

High Joanie.

Yes they can ticket or tow your car as they can do in any park. (Please note parts of my previous post are tongue in cheek.) All County parks officially close at dusk.

But the parking facilities are open 24/7 for boaters and until 10:00 for fishermen.

I get into here at Juno Park by the pier. They can park after dark to fish at the pier, but we can't park there just to watch the stars.

Main thing. Nobody is confiscating equipment.

And for what it is worth, friends who have violated the rules, never had their cars towed. I don't know any who got anymore than a warning.

Last June I tried to organize a night dive for my club. Between the WPB park district and the Sat night tide times it ended up being too complicated to pursue. I just dug through my old emails. This came straight from the park district:

You must have a permit to night dive at the bridge. In order to get a permit, the West Palm Beach park district requires a dive master to oversee all divers and also a $1M insurance policy naming them. If you do not have a permit you cannot park at Phil Foster Park after sunset (you will be ticketed and towed). If you do obtain a permit, you must still be out of the park by 10:00pm.

If anyone is interested in looking into this further I can pm contact info. In the meantime, Force E posts all their sponsored (free) night dives on their Face Book page.

I'm thinking that's illegal. First off, you can't arbitrarily require a certain group to have insurance for an activity at a public location, and not require it from another group (fishermen). If the park is open for fishermen, then it has to be open for scuba divers (at least that is my understanding of equal-access).

We're also talking about a beach, and a navigable waterway used for commerce. That adds even more complication to someone restricting access, especially since it is apparently done on the whim of a park administrator.

I don't know where the gear confiscation stuff first came up either. I'm aware of three ways that dive gear could be confiscated: if it's stolen, if it's ill-gotten gains, if it's used in commission of a drug or fish/wildlife crime. In other words, they have to have probable cause it's stolen, purchased with drug money, or used to transport drugs, or used to poach game. If Florida has some other law that allows the state to seize property (scuba or otherwise) I'd like to see the statute.

I'm a visitor, I'm only going to dive the bridge once or twice a year, so I don't have a load of trouble following the "rules" even though I think they are wrong (legally, I mean). If I were a local, I think I'd be looking for a lawyer that likes to shore dive......

I could be wrong; but I believe there is no other Fishing Pier/Bridge in Florida where it is legal to dive within 100 yards, or maybe that rule is only valid for spearfishing??? So we're pretty happy with the access we are granted, even with a few restrictions.

Good point. I know there is no swimming, SCUBA or snorkeling off the Juno and Lake Worth piers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom