The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DD,

BHB, which is morally and functionally used as a marine park. It's just not right. .?

"Morally", we're now talking morals.

I engaged in immoral activity because I carefully selected my target, used my breathholding skills and a legal type of gear to take a fish (that was of legal size, during an open fishing season) that a dozen hook and line fisherman on an adjacent peir would have been targeting at the same time (if they knew it was there)????
:rofl3:

I didn't see any spearing, spearfishing gear or anything illegal in that video???:confused::confused::shakehead::shakehead:

He did take it with a knife, that qualifies as spearfishing.

From the Florida Saltwater Fishing Regulations:

Spearing is defined as “the catching or taking of a fish by bowhunting, gigging, spearfishing, or any device used to capture a fish by piercing its body.” Spearing does not include the catching or taking of a fish by a hook with hook-and-line gear or by snagging (snatch hooking). Spearfishing is defined as “the catching or taking of a fish through the instrumentality of a hand or mechanically propelled, single or multi-pronged spear or lance, barbed or barbless, operated by a person swimming at or below the surface of the water.”

http://myfwc.com/media/1068044/FINAL.pdf

"Morally", we're now talking morals.

I engaged in immoral activity because I carefully selected my target, used my breathholding skills and a legal type of gear to take a fish (that was of legal size, during an open fishing season) that a dozen hook and line fisherman on an adjacent peir would have been targeting at the same time (if they knew it was there)????
:rofl3:

Yes, what you did was profoundly wrong. I am a spearfishing freediver (hawaiian sling only) from way back and appreciate the sport and the skill that can be involved. But I am not oblivious to the fact that bridge's existence as a biodiversity hotspot continues only because of the generousity of spirit of the divers not to destroy the life in the area. You might actually enjoy this place and learn much greater truths about the marvels of the sea than you would by letting your desire to harvest overwhelm your judgment. I have already posted similar thoughts about people who harvest lobster in this area.

You destroyed a unique thing of beauty that was in an area where people come from all over the world (yes, that is literally true) to appreciate the diversity of underwater life. You post regularly here and you know the special nature of the bridge and the variety of life it attracts. Don't try to jusify what you did with legalities, or that you had the "right," or that other people might also do it. All sorts of selfish destruction in the world is justified with these reasons.

Thousands of divers recognize the special nature of this place as a diversity hotspot, but for you, it was just a way to an easy dinner and a video. Do you really think stabbing a fish to death in 10 feet of water is worth showing off?

There are some areas that need to be respected and preserved, and sometimes it requires the use of our better judgment, and, yes, the sacrifice of our egos or momentary urges, to make it happen.

You need to read the regulations defining what spearing is....ignorance is not an excuse to break the law.

Spearing

I was spearing, not spearfishing. Spearing is allowed there, spearfishing is not. At least that is what I understand after a careful look at it.

I was spearing, not spearfishing. Spearing is allowed there, spearfishing is not. At least that is what I understand after a careful look at it.

If you were under water you were spearfishing; spearing only takes place above the water.

You were spearfishing by definition. Not allowed there.

Guy made a very valid point, there are areas we need to cherish, protect and preserve. The BHB is one of them! Even if it were legal to hunt in the area (which it isn't) it certainly isn't wise to stress such a lovely spot. And hunting these out-going, unafraid creatures is reprehensible.
Try a different area or buy a barrel and stock it yourself...it is shooting fish in a barrel at the bridge.

BTW today's dive was lovely. Water was warm at 74, even if the viz was about 25 feet and milky. Saw the male seahorse again, he is getting very used to visits. Gotta love these 100 minute dives.

Attachments

• Blue Heron Bridge sea horse on sponge.jpg
    Blue Heron Bridge sea horse on sponge.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 63
  • Blue Heron Bridge large seahorse.jpg
    Blue Heron Bridge large seahorse.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 50
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom