The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DAN,
It was our pleasure to dive with Sandra. I actually held her in place while she was shooting the seahorse pics due to a pretty strong current.

Will you hold me??

BTW, all you folks witnessing all these little octopuses, what percentage of them are seen *outside* of their bottles/holes? When I looked at the mouth of every bottle last time down, my vision - even with readers in my masks - was not good enough to discern whether there was anything worth seeing in there. I did some pool testing last week with my bifocal/gauge reader masks and a tape measure with confusing results. Looks like a much bigger factor than the diopter strength in the "reader" portion of the mask is whether there is *any* fogging or droplets inside the lens. I've been a "spit" guy forever, but it now looks like I'm going to have to try something fancier, as even a *teeny* bit of imperfection on the glass screws things up. It seems there's such a premium on "time" whilst looking for critters (even on a two and a half hour dive) that I've never bothered to work hard enough on figuring out precisely what was going on with my vision. Would love to hear input from others.

I also fiddled with some screw-on "diopters" for my 60mm macro lens and the tape measure. The law of diminishing returns sprang quickly to mind. :D I'll probably give the +4 a try today at the bridge. I can be identified as the old guy with the Rube Goldberg solution for an aiming/focus light on his housing. light fixture - a set on Flickr or IMG_5525are | Flickr - Photo Sharing! My buddy and I plan to be there Saturday and Sunday, too.

Kevin

I have seen probably 3 softball-sized (not counting tentacles) octopi not in bottles. 2 were in holes, but came out after JET126 dangled a shiny thing in front of them, and one was in a metal box. All the others have been inside bottles of various sizes.

Jet and Video Dude were kind enough to let me tag along with them yesterday. Saw my first orange seahorse and Jet also pointed to an octopus in a bottle, which was my first. Must have been some special karma. Saw another octopus (bigger than the first) towards the end of the dive. Very cool. What a dive. ...southern ray, eagle ray, spotted moray, seahorse, octopi and a host of the usual other critters.

I officially get KBeck back in the water tomorrow. We'll be diving BHB on Saturday and out with Capt. Tony on the Diversity on Sunday

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom