The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's all special effects :)

By the time the storm finished, we were in twilight to night conditions for yesterday's dive... I was nice to do an early night dive. We all were out at 8:00 PM and the police were just coming up the side walk watching all the video equipment coming up the beach... One them asked about my setup and what types of pictures we took... Then, I showed him.

He says he's going to get certified just to make the dive here at BHB

Got a question about the incoming tide at da bridge. I *think* I've read (and it would make sense, I reckon, as I look at Google Earth) that the current is running northwardly under both spans heading up to high tide time. As I have run into some of the strongest current at the bridge just as I round the end of that block of concrete at the furthest west entry point - and it's heading mostly to the west at that point (I think) - then I'm guessing that over near the east span, which I've never diven, that the current must be doing something different - maybe just the opposite (going mostly eastwardly, parallel to the beach).

Never mind. Got a *perfect* response (PM) from DiveBob and am ready to roll. :)

Kevin

OK, this is NOT from BHB, but I am really enjoying my new camera... ALOT!

greenmoray110515-05.JPG

OK, this is NOT from BHB, but I am really enjoying my new camera... ALOT!

greenmoray110515-05.JPG

What are you using?
June 19th might work.

These days I dive with the following
Olympus Evolt e-330 DSLR camera
Ikelite housing
Zuiko 35mm or 14-45mm lens
Dual TTl DS51 strobes

These days I dive with the following
Olympus Evolt e-330 DSLR camera
Ikelite housing
Zuiko 35mm or 14-45mm lens
Dual TTl DS51 strobes

Thats a nice camera!

Another nice dive at the bridge this morning. Water temp is still 79 but for some reason I got cold really fast. Viz was a good 20 ft or maybe more at the beginning. 134 minutes bottom time. I still had plenty of air to stay longer but the current picked up so much near the end that if I stopped kicking I feared I'd be swept to Peanut Island.

No photos, unless you want to see more octopi. (They are just so dang photogenic I don't think it's possible to take a bad picture of one) But I had my new strobe for the first time. Like learning everything all over again. On top of that the little adapter thingie that's supposed to attach the fiber optic cable to my housing popped off. So I was trying to hold it on, plus take photos, plus manage my flag, plus look for frogfish. I remain frogfishless.

Midway through the dive I just stopped trying and enjoyed the looking. I saw lots of those little squat urchin and bumblebee shrimps, eels everywhere including one free swimming sharp tail that came eye-to-eye with me (a little edgy) and more flaballina.

Nice to meet Guy Harrison and his lovely wife Mari in the parking lot!

Last edited:
Great back-to-back night and morning dives. Night dive was full of octopi and all the usual suspects, plus some great video of the white frogfish dangling his lure. It was great meeting Dan and Sandra and other bridge addicts! Dive was really nice and we surfaced to a spectacular lightning storm out over the ocean.

This morning was amazing. Dead calm, really good vis, but strong current. Only 4 other divers at the bridge!!! Again lots of octopi but the froggie had moved on and we could not find any others.

We are going away for a week starting tomorrow, so won't be back to the bridge until memorial day weekend. I will try to post my photos of the froggie when I return next week.

THANKS to Dan, Sandra and Joanie for their tips and their friendship. We look forward to seeing and diving with all of you again frequently and not just at the bridge!

Guy and Maribi

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom