The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thought I'd post these shots taken a bit east of the bridge....
Abernathy Corridor wrecks, med reef, toy box Kathy.jpg Abernathy Corridor wrecks, med reef, toy box 037.jpg Abernathy Corridor wrecks, med reef, toy box turtle.jpg

I was playing the Barry White when I swam past that coral. And did see this interesting mermaid.
Sorry about another thread hijack

yesterday a beautiful flying gurnard flitted about on the south side of the west span. It did not seem overly concerned with me or any of the divers that approached it, but kept its 'wings' open, or particially open, as it dug around for food. Beautiful little creature: here are a couple of pictures, none are great, but it gives you a feel for what I saw.

flying_gurnard_bhb_may_21_2011.JPG

flying_gurnard_3_bhb_may_21_2011.JPG

Plenty of octopus (octopi?) out again, which is really interesting since high tide was a noon. Visibility was outstanding: I've never seen water at the bridge quite as clear as yesterday.

octopus_bhb_may_21_2011.JPG

Had a 104 minute dive today, viz about 30-45, water temp 80 to 81, but started on the westside and ended up "In an Octopus's Garden in the Shade". I swear I've never seen so many octopi. It was incredible. Here are a few images and a video.[video=youtube;8v9hKbep7no]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v9hKbep7no[/video]

Attachments

• Blue Heron Bridge Octopus Dive jelly.jpg
    Blue Heron Bridge Octopus Dive jelly.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 57
  • Blue Heron Bridge Octopus Dive French Angel.jpg
    Blue Heron Bridge Octopus Dive French Angel.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Blue Heron Bridge Octopus Dive Octo Bottle.jpg
    Blue Heron Bridge Octopus Dive Octo Bottle.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Blue Heron Bridge Octopus Dive Queen AngelG.jpg
    Blue Heron Bridge Octopus Dive Queen AngelG.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Blue Heron Bridge Octopus Dive Scorpion fish.jpg
    Blue Heron Bridge Octopus Dive Scorpion fish.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 58
Jim sorry I missed you apres dive but thank you for helping me with my zipper:blinking: I was down for 143 minutes. And I spent all of it in about 50 sq ft. south of the bridge. Never even made it under the pilings. I found myself thinking I'm really glad the world didn't end on Saturday because there's just too much to see here". And then I thought "maybe THIS is heaven."

"Mrs. Robinson" circled me three times. She never got close enough for a good pic but it was magical.
ray.jpg

Some others from today (looks like Jim and I saw the same upside down jelly)
batfish.jpg angel.jpg puffer.jpg
jawfish.jpg upsidedownjelly.jpg

Can anyone help me id that puffer?

Last edited:
I'm more inclined to unzip things but it was my pleasure to lend you a hand. I got a bit cool and got out after 104 minutes, so I knew I'd miss you.
It was good seeing you again and yes I think that was the same jelly....was the one upside down in the sand???:rofl3:

contest--this one needs a CAPTION!! OH, those Francophone species names............ :wink:

I watched them for several minutes as they twisted and turned, chasing one another, interesting! The open mouth apparently has to do with who has the biggest whatever. But is it too much to imagine the Angel being inspired to attend Dental School.................to be continued, by YOU

It's a behavior called Gapeing. I had only previously seen it between two grunts. This weekend I observed, and shot it between a grunt and a juvenile angel, and between a grunt and a small spanish hog.

Gaping, or kissing slippery dicks (and spanish hogs and grunts)

It's a behavior called Gapeing. I had only previously seen it between two grunts. This weekend I observed, and shot it between a grunt and a juvenile angel, and between a grunt and a small spanish hog.

I'm still waiting to get a "good" photo of the activity.

Kevin

IMG_6569wa.jpgIMG_6001wa.jpgIMG_5956wa.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom