The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hint... It's out there in the water off the shore of Blue Heron Bridge. Honestly, the striated frogfish was an erea I went over three times before I came upon them (in a trench, I call the horseshoe trench). The only way I have been sure to get there (found several other trenches other ways) is to find the upside down wreck, just off the last red channel marker...

In this photo look at the boat marking line and scan left until you see a faint darkness rising up in the photo. That is the last red channel marker before the bridge channel. (Stop and watch the wreck for HUGE photo ops) Head due North from the center of this wreck until you find the area the which becomes a trench. That trench is actually a horseshoe trench. Stay to the right side (left side veers VERY CLOSE to the channel itself and I have been "plucked" by FHP in the left side area. Look closely at the sea grass for anything that might look out of place.
44339_145575125464549_100000361863269_311451_8087070_n.jpg

At the end of that trench is an area ripe for finding nudibranchs, slugs and flatworms. Continue due north and you run straight into the bridge.

As a side note, this past weekend's "Sardine" shot was taken right at the beginning of the trench. Find that can, find the trench!

Now you do realize this needs to be "enhanced" for accuracy in finding it, for our favorite tropical fish collectors....you were talking about the wreck you get to by swimming west of the navigation channel under the bridge, right ? :)

I *think* I'm jealous. I've never even seen a Nauticam housing or know what a 180 deg viewfinder is - nor a 45 deg, for that matter. :D Mine's a plain, vanilla Ikelite housing.

About to hit the trail. Sure would be nice were someone to PM some hints about finding some of the cool stuff they're finding these past few days. . .

Kevin
Savannah

.. map .. snip

ok, the Jawfish are about 100 yds west of the entry beach in about 20 feet of water.

Last edited:
I *think* I'm jealous. I've never even seen a Nauticam housing or know what a 180 deg viewfinder is - nor a 45 deg, for that matter. :D Mine's a plain, vanilla Ikelite housing.

Kevin
Savannah

Here are photos of the Nauticam 180 degree (straight) viewfinder and the Inon 45 degree viewfinder for comparison. In theory the 45 degree viewfinder is supposed to be better for shooting macro because it allows you to position the housing lower for those tight macro shots.

The Inon 45 degree:
IMG_1493.jpg

The Nauticam 180 degree:
IMG_1490.jpg

The relative viewfinder size difference (Inon on left, Nauticam on right)
IMG_1494.jpg

The Inon 45 deg blocks much more of the cameras LCD screen than the Nauticam 180 deg which is a detriment to 'chimping'. :)
IMG_1492.jpg

I assume Jawfish are not "collector's items", so.... (If they are, please let me know and I can remove the 'map')

[] Actually, rather than removing this map, please edit it so it correctly shows the jawfish location for collectors in a circle right in front of that white SUV on the bridge...I am quite sure if they lie down there and look closely, they will be richly rewarded :)

Last edited:
NOTICE: At this time there are two "guests" scanning this thread. Removing the map is prudent

Thanks! Had heard of that wreck, but had never seen it and had no real idea where it was. Have always been too chicken to venture that close to the channel. Ain't *no* chance, now, of running out of new stuff to see this week. :D

Kevin

Here are photos of the Nauticam 180 degree (straight) viewfinder and the Inon 45 degree viewfinder for comparison. In theory the 45 degree viewfinder is supposed to be better for shooting macro because it allows you to position the housing lower for those tight macro shots.

Pretty fancy. Well, *very* fancy. Maybe I'll wander over to "Reef" whilst I'm down here and see what it looks like looking *through* them. . . Thanks!

Kevin

I *think* Ciliated False Squilla.

About to hop in the car and find me some of that cool stuff getting posted. . . :D

Kevin

Thanks K...glad you know critters....looked it up and you nailed it. :D

Shrimps - as they say in Savannah

Thanks K...glad you know critters....looked it up and you nailed it. :D

I'm definitely no expert, but this bridge addiction sure has me doing a *lot* of "looking up". I'm also addicted to Google. :D

Did two dives there today - nearly six hours - and found *several* new creatures to add to my list. BTW, *thanks* for giving me directions to the "mouth eggs" jawfish. They put me right on top of him. Sadly (for me), but happily for those eggs with the already-seeing eyes, he ain't got 'em in his mouth no more. I got the pitchers to prove it. :D I even stole the idea of trying to diopter them to death, to no avail. A +4 dry, and a "Woody's" "wet" only served to limit what I could shoot on my second dive. :D

I did get several shrimp photos today. Can't even remember, at this point, how many different ones I saw. All those "holes" that I'm used to swimming over and rarely finding anything protruding from them seemed to treat me somewhat differently today. I *swear* I'll get around to posting them sometime. BTW, if anyone cares, I *have* posted a bunch more shots from recent bridge trips on my Flickr site: mentalblock_DMD's photosets on Flickr

Oh, just remembered, speaking of "diopters" found *this* in the swim-through today:IMG_3428wa.jpg

Kevin
Savannah

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom