The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We went to BHB saturday afternoon for the first time with my wife, We loved it! It is a shame that not everyone respects the location.

Things I did not like:
1) A lady getting arrested as I was driving in

Hmmmm, now that sounds familiar, except that it was a guy, the last time I was there. :shakehead:

PICT0129.jpgPICT0047.jpg

Here are a couple of shots from last night. One is of an octopus appearing to dispute intrusion by paparazzi (my buddy - who was absolutely entranced by the attempted camera grab), and the other a critter we'd never seen - best guess is that it's an Atlantic sidegill slug. Can anyone confirm that ID for us? And to the guy that grabbed our runaway dive flag...thank you!

I hate rules myself, but if any instructors still use the highly discredited method of overweighting divers to knell in the sand in order to accoplish skills, then there ought to be a bit of hell to pay. Just my 2psi worth...

The Bridge is an optimum location for dive training. Not sure how both you and Dan started diving, but I would imagine you didn't start out are experts in bouyancy control.

We take our students to the east and away from the crowds. We properly weight our students as much as possible, but kneeling on the bottom to review skills is necessary. Just think of the mess new divers would be making if not properly weighted and are struggling to stay down.

P.S Even when I dive the bridge for fun, I head east to stay away from the "experts". : ) If you don't like sharing, go somewhere else...The Bridge is a busy place.

Again thanks to Force E for organizing a night dive!
Water temp was 81 and viz was great. Lots of octos walking about and some nice sharp tailed eels...found spots where the bugs were so crowded you literally couldn't count them. 103 minute dive which would have been longer but both my primary and secondary lights crapped out on me. Ah well there is another night dive in the near future...:eyebrow:
Met up with a great diver from the ginny springs area....had fun diving with him.Blue Heron Bridge Night Dive Octopus.jpg Blue Heron Bridge Night Dive Lobster Shack.jpg
I'll upload a few more images when I get time.
Blue Heron Bridge Night Dive Queen.jpg Blue Heron Bridge Night Dive Home Sweet Home.jpg Blue Heron Bridge Night Dive trunkfish.jpg

Last edited:
The Bridge is an optimum location for dive training. Not sure how both you and Dan started diving, but I would imagine you didn't start out are experts in bouyancy control.

We take our students to the east and away from the crowds. We properly weight our students as much as possible, but kneeling on the bottom to review skills is necessary. Just think of the mess new divers would be making if not properly weighted and are struggling to stay down.

P.S Even when I dive the bridge for fun, I head east to stay away from the "experts". : ) If you don't like sharing, go somewhere else...The Bridge is a busy place.

Just imagine if they were taught proper buoyancy control then overweighting them to stay down, and kneeling on the bottom would not be an issue. :ijs:

I like to watch this thread because of a few reasons
A) I love the pictures that ya'll take, and all the dive jargon that i have no idea what it means
B) I love the bickering between opposing parties
C) I'm moving to fl in a few months and want to dive this bridge as often as possible.

mostly a and b though

so anyways, I understand both sides of the arguments. The divers do not want vis to be ruined, and the instructors don't want their students floating away.
The only thing i'm pointing out here is that beginner divers (myself included) have some pretty poor buoyancy control. One can be taught the theory of buoyancy, but practice is a different story. If we were experts upon being taught something in a classroom, would there be any dive fatalities?
Anyway, Pjohnson said they weight their students properly, so arguing about over-weighting divers is obsolete
SHOW ME MORE SEALIFE!

Ps- I will be looking for dive buddies to show me the ropes of BHB and the area come mid August, if any mentors are out there, you'll see me post in a month or so

View attachment 95762View attachment 95763

Here are a couple of shots from last night. One is of an octopus appearing to dispute intrusion by paparazzi (my buddy - who was absolutely entranced by the attempted camera grab), and the other a critter we'd never seen - best guess is that it's an Atlantic sidegill slug. Can anyone confirm that ID for us? And to the guy that grabbed our runaway dive flag...thank you!
I only know of two pictures that exist showing the Warty Side Gill Sea Slug out hunting at night. Yours is the second and I took the first that I am aware of. Even the Deloach books only show the day time sleeping.

Excellent find!

Just imagine if they were taught proper buoyancy control then overweighting them to stay down, and kneeling on the bottom would not be an issue. :ijs:
Has it been that long that you don't remember your OW class and how hard it was to manage the gear, etc. Now, imagine the instructor has 4 students and wants to get a single piece of information across to each one of them... But, since they are properly buoyant and don't have other skills, they are all over the place looking at things other than the instructor.

If you tell me you were taught properly when you took OW and did not kneel for the instructor to review, I will call lier, lier, pants on fire! How is it that you know more about training a class than seasoned instructors? Come down off the soap box and get real IJS...

I see the winds have been blowing ENE 10-20 knots for the last couple of days and the forecast is the same through the weekend. How has or will it effect viz greatly at the bridge?

Would like to dive it Friday morning. Am wondering if it's worth the risk driving from Tampa??

I went on the night dive last night at the bridge. It was my first dive there. Not being from the area, I wasn't sure what to expect. I met up with two gentlemen from the area, Jim and Tom both of whom were very familiar with this site. They allowed me to tag along with them on their dive. I must say that it was an awesome dive. Where I normally dive you are lucky if you see a sunfish, so getting to see all of the sea life down there was amazing. I now know what all the hype is about. In fact I plan on going back tomorrow morning for another dive before my vacation ends. Again thank you to Jim and Tom. Call me if you come to my neck of the woods and I will show you around some of our local spots.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom