The Dive Shop of the Future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome! Awesome! I usually avoid getting involved in these discussions but this thread is very informative and interesting,one!

As a dive shop owner yourself you should take particular note that this "awesome" and "very informative and interesting" thread about the dive shop of the future...

IS TWELVE YEARS OLD!

I'm just saying.

I couldn't find an "Irony Meme" I liked, but I thought this to be apropos...

[video=youtube;22oCaiccz3w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22oCaiccz3w[/video]

Actually, rejuvenating the thread is an excellent idea, because we are now at the point in time that Rick made his predictions about.
How did he do?

So far, all I have seen different is way more online dealers fighting over crumbs, and a few more LDS's gone. But other than that it's still all about the same.

Reactions: RJP
Actually, rejuvenating the thread is an excellent idea, because we are now at the point in time that Rick made his predictions about.
How did he do?

"There will be no retail sales of major equipment at the dive shop of the future."

Swing and a miss...

"
There will be some manufacturer supplied samples for people to try, from those few manufacturers who survive the shake-out that's just beginning."

Strike two...

All business that deal in real goods are competing with the internet. Those that position themselves well will succeed. People still like to see what they are buying and will pay more for that and for the privelege of having someone to get advice from and to complain to. Some internet stores are brick and mortar stores also. I buy tires with a buying group. That lets me buy a brand name tire for the same price as anyone else who buys several million dollars worth of that tire brand each year. I wonder if that approach would work.

I don't think internet prices are as good as they used to be. For instance, I used to see some prices almost half of LDS full retail. Now I only see about 25% max discount on some items. And, some internet dealers have become "authorized" dealers so they must comply with MSRP rules.
Here we are 12 years later from the original post. The LDS won't carry any gear? Then I guess it wouldn't be called an LDS then would it?
My LDS still carries gear. Since their revamp they actually decided to carry more watersports items besides scuba gear, and they dropped dive classes. Now they have a list of private instructors they send people to and only sell gear and trips. Kind of reverse from the prediction.
The great dive prediction of 2002 also didn't see the great recession of 2008 (to current) coming either.

I am new to diving but would like to chime in on this thread. Just a little back ground, not to brag but to give some perspective, I manage a chain run sporting goods store that does over $20 Mill a year in sales per store. Snorkeling gear and wet suites are the only thing remotely related to scuba we sell. I have been a retail manager for over 20 years. This past year I received my OW and I have started look into buying some of my own equipment. There is a learning curve to the equipment involved any most sports and activities but diving to me seems like it is pretty steep. I have been reading quite a bit on line over the last few months and decided to pay a local dive shop a visit the other day. Online reviews of the dive shop were very good and I was expecting to walkout buying some gear. As soon as I walked in I was greeted and asked for help, there were 4 employees around the counter, they seemed to be working on something. I thanked them and said I was just looking around. I spent about 20 minutes looking around. They had quite a bit of stock on hand. Very few items were priced. On the store's web site several packages were listed but these were not presented anywhere in the store. The store may have been laid out well for someone that knew what the were looking for but as for a newbie, I was intimidated. Sure I could have asked for help but what I was afraid of was someone just telling me what I needed and trying to sell me something I didn't need. I ended up leaving, they did say have a nice day as I left. I will continue to read more on the net before I buy and that will probably be on line because I feel more comfortable doing so. Don't want to knock anyone but thought I would give the LDS my perspective.

Streydog,

That can be a tough one. I know some dive shops can almost have a "hazing" atmosphere to new people. I once witnessed a guy who had questions pretty much get run out of a dive shop and in so many words was called an idiot. I was waiting around to get an air fill and couldn't believe what I was seeing. The old crusty guy hasen't worked at the shop in years, but my point is I know how they can be sometimes. It's almost like they expect you to be "in the know" otherwise you're just wasting their time.
My best advice is to rent for a whikle and also dive with as many people as you can. Join a dive club or dive with a group if there are any around you.
Don't be too hasty about buying gear right away. There are many differnt ways to go and many alternatives. IMO, a dive shop really needs to earn your trust and not just sell you a bunch of stuff that makes them the most money. You'll end up overspending on a bunch of overpriced gear that may not even be what you end up with in the long run.
Hanging out here on SB is a good start.
There are a lot of folks who can inform you on the "inside" of scuba, what is hot, what is not, what the alternative is to what the dive shop want's you to believe.
There are a lot of do it yourselfers here that demystify regulators and service for instance, and ,any here that can give you the low down on the current trends of BC's that you will not learn at your dive shop. This is a parallel universe to the dive shop. You will read stuff here that scares the crap out of dive shops with info they don't want you to know.
Take care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom