The Dive Stop Report 8-6-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I went out to The Dive stop this afternoon to meet up with another diver whom I had never met before. She was supposed to get out there around 5:30pm but I decided to just head out there early and if there were other divers there to dive with then great and if not I would just sit and read my new Wetsuit and Drysuit book from Vance Harlow. I got out there around 3:30 and found Dave and another diver (Joe)ling a new training platform. Joe had to take off shortly after I got there so I asked Dave if he wanted another hand and off to work I went. The new platform is a floating platform. It is about 15 yards infront of the main dock and foating about 10 down from the surface and about 15 ft off the bottom. Vis was actually VERY good out there. Probably the best that I personally have seen. When Dave and Joe were working I could see both of them when there were near the bottom, so I would agree that there is probably about 20ft of vis. It was a lot of work helping out with getting it tied down, and I was only in the water for a little over an hour with Dave and he had been in there most of the day before I got there. I got in the water wearing my drysuit but I did not put on any gloves or my hood. The water temp at the surface is in the mid 80's. Just a few feet from the surface it is probably in the mid 70's, but man when you get below 20ft the temp just dropped. I was showing between 61 and 65. I had never been in water that cold without some sort of hood on and man did it hurt my head.

We finally get everything finished up around 6pm and when we surface my new buddy is there. So I made sure that I went back to my truck to get my hood and gloves before we got into the water. Even with all the work that was done on the platform the vis was still pretty good. Dave and I had really muced up the bottom below the platform but it was not bad at all in the rest of the quarry. There were a lot of particles in the water but it did not affect the vis that badly. probably the worst vis that we saw was about 5ft and that was just in a couple of spots. At the pickup truck (which I think is in 25ft of water) at the back of the bed I could see all the way up to the front of the truck, all though it did start to get a little hazy just before the front of the fender. I would not hesitage to say that we had 15 to 20ft. There were some bass checking out the new platform and lots of bluegill swiming around the main dock area.

Dave said that they had put some limestone in the quarry to help with the silt. One of the spots that they put the limestone is where they get most of their runoff and he is hoping that it will help with the vis after a rain. I did not think to ask if they got any rain out there last night or this morning, but if they did it sure seems to be working.

They are planning on putting another floating dock in over by the other dock sometime soon. It is sitting on shore right now, so I do not know when that one will go in.

I had a good time out there tonight, and I am going back on Fri after work to get a few more dives in.

Phil

c-ya then....

Phil

Phil,

Great report. Sounds like things are moving along well there. Has Dave gotten his compressor up and running yet? I might join you on Friday evening as it sound like the visibility is getting better all the time.

James

No compressor out there as of yet. It is coming though. Sometime soon I think it will be out there.

Come on out James... We will make it a party...

Phil

Hey phil, Just wondering, have they made the main dock more stable yet? that two peice dock can be somewhat tricky to walk on and I heard rumors that it was going to be reinforced/replaced. Have you heard or seen anything with regards to that?

Rich

Yes, both docks are now stable.

I know for sure that the main dock is more stable. It is now mounted on the rocks near shore. Very solid...

The last time I was over at the other dock (Few months ago) it was still floating and wobbly, but apparently they have that one more solid now too... Thanks for the update Steve...

Come on out tonight and do a few dives. I am going to get out there around 4:15 to 4:45, and be out there until after dark. I think that there is going to be a pretty good crowd out there...

Phil

I know for sure that the main dock is more stable. It is now mounted on the rocks near shore. Very solid...

The last time I was over at the other dock (Few months ago) it was still floating and wobbly, but apparently they have that one more solid now too... Thanks for the update Steve...

Come on out tonight and do a few dives. I am going to get out there around 4:15 to 4:45, and be out there until after dark. I think that there is going to be a pretty good crowd out there...

Phil

Thanks for the update, but I was just checking up on the updates. My brother and I are diving mermet tomorrow, but we have plans on new meele soon. As far as tonight goes, the girl I am dating said that if I don't see her tonight, I'll never "see" her again:eyebrow:, if you know what I mean. So, sorry but I'll have to pass this time. Let me know next time you are doing some buildout and I'll try and make sure that Bill and I are there to help.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom