The downside of annual servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should learn to adjust the apeks 2nd stage yourself, and you absolutely do NOT need an inline adjusting tool to do the job. You should get an IP gauge while you're at it; you can adjust that too if necessary. Eventually you'll be able to say goodbye to the dumbass at the dive shop that made your reg perform worse, and that should make you happier.

Sorry for the slight rant, it's just that there are SO MANY threads started about poor dive shop service. 'Within factory specs'...that's a good excuse.

OTOH, $17 for service of both 1st and 2nd stage seems crazy low to me, usually it's more like $25-30 per stage.

I dropped off my 1st and 2nd. The hog hooked up as an octo was not dropped off but when I installed it after servicing the Apeks, it worked great. I am thinking this is a 2nd stage issue, not 1st.

Prices are a little low but I am not going to complain about that. My plan is to service my own stuff.

Does Apeks require a full rebuild every year or is it every other year with an "adjustment" in the non-rebuild years? That could explain the low cost of the service. If the octo works well but the primary second stage doesn't the problem must be in the primary second stage. If you want to play with it I would recommend downloading the Apeks flash presentation which shows you how to do the adjustment with a bucket of water.

I realize an inline adjustment tool is not necessary but since they are quite cheap and make the job much easier they are worth the investment.

I realize an inline adjustment tool is not necessary but since they are quite cheap and make the job much easier they are worth the investment.

That is the most expensive inline adjustment tool I have ever seen.

My plan is to service my own stuff.
No need to plan, just do it.
In HK it will cost around US$100.00 to completely overhaul both the 1st and 2nd stages.

Just found out that none of the parts were changed. The regulator was just inspected and adjusted for annual servicing. Me no like the setting. Will be looking for info soon to set up my own bench for testing and adjustment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom