The end of This Year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well Rich I have to put Thunder Bird II to bed this weekend, she ran this year and if the DNR would come out she would have had her papers, then there's DEMA, and after that Shipwrecks & Scuba. Before I can even thinking about getting wet again I have to take care of business :D.

Joe, I will see you at shiprecks and scuba and DEMA... you're just making excuses... :)

Have a great winter!

Rich

OK----so when would most agree that active Great Lakes diving begins again?

OK----so when would most agree that active Great Lakes diving begins again?

Most charters start after Memorial Day. Some are out in March-April, but the water's darn cold top to bottom. Typically 36-40 F. It warms up slowly given the cold winters and size of the lakes. The typical season for diving the Lakes is June-September. However, some are out earlier and some run a bit later. Heck, a few do charters in Jan and Feb. The key months that they don't go out due to frequent storms is late Oct through Dec.

Just trying to pencil in a schd. to do the TDI Adv. Wreck program, will plan 7 days to complete based on weather.

Just trying to pencil in a schd. to do the TDI Adv. Wreck program, will plan 7 days to complete based on weather.

An awesome place to take the class is the St. Lawrence river around Rockport-Brockville Ontario. Take it in July-Aug and the water's 70+ degrees top to bottom! Plus there are very nice penetrable wrecks available in various depth ranges from recreational up through advanced trimix. Another plus is that, since it's a river environment, the boats never get blown out!

Both Rick Kruzel and Steve Lewis run TDI Adv. Wreck courses in the area.

Well for me it was a pretty good year...I logged 73 dives total so far for 2009...All but 4 dives were wreck dives in the great lakes...

Best dives of 2009

Morrell Bow - 150'
Morrell Stern - 180'
Dunderburg - 150-
Emperor Stern - 145'
Meat and Potato dives of Sanilac...

Best trip was the Isle Royal trip we did with Blackdog charters! 5 days we logged 14 dives!...All cold water wreck dives! Amazing...did some tech diving in harbor beach this season and had some of the best Viz i have ever seen. Made it to Tobermory twice this season also. Rest of the diving was out of Sanilac...Regina prolly 15-20 time along with the North Star Mary Alice B and rest of the wrecks weekly. It was a stellar season and i am sad to see it come to an end...This weeks weather is looking good so maybe i can sneak another one in before the boat is winterized for the season...Looks like after this week quarry season will start.... :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom