The end of Yap as we knew it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deep Water Dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looks like the Chinese will be busy destroying Yap in the near future. No surprise that the Yap government approved their plan, but it's still a shame. Hopefully Palau and Truk won't be next on the list.

Chinese in Yap

Looks like the Chinese will be busy destroying Yap in the near future. No surprise that the Yap government approved their plan, but it's still a shame. Hopefully Palau and Truk won't be next on the list.

Chinese in Yap

Now you know how some of us felt about Cozumel, the Caymans, Utila, etc.

economic development is for the people of yap, not just for the divers who wants them to stay primitive and unspoiled. If they choose this fast path for their people, so be it.

economic development is for the people of yap, not just for the divers who wants them to stay primitive and unspoiled. If they choose this fast path for their people, so be it.

Except the people of Yap are not likely to see much, if any, of the economic benefit. The money will all go to China and I would bet you right now most of the workers will come from the Philippines, Korea, or China. You can see the same thing here on Guam, big hotels that cater to Asian clients. Guess where the money goes and the workers come from?

Chances are the average Yapese didn't get asked what they would like to see, or has any idea what's about to happen to them.

Sounds mighty familiar.

I'm glad I went before the coming development. I'll add that to the list of places not to go.

Deep Water Dan described it accurately....hammer....nail....head!

-Mitch

Except the people of Yap are not likely to see much, if any, of the economic benefit. The money will all go to China and I would bet you right now most of the workers will come from the Philippines, Korea, or China. You can see the same thing here on Guam, big hotels that cater to Asian clients. Guess where the money goes and the workers come from?

Chances are the average Yapese didn't get asked what they would like to see, or has any idea what's about to happen to them.

I think you see that with every island that becomes a vacation spot. But infrastructure will be built up before any of these could come. That should at a minimum be a first step, if not to self sufficiency. A desolate island could either be exploited for its natural resource, which these islands has none, or wh0re itself to tourism. Maybe this will at least wean itself off welfare payment from the US in exchange for UN votes.

That's why democracy never works in the long term...corruption combined with ignorance. And the reasons for those relate to CULTure.
DEMO(n)crazy!

That's why democracy never works in the long term...corruption combined with ignorance. And the reasons for those relate to CULTure.
DEMO(n)crazy![/QUOTE]

So dictatorships are "incorruptible"? You're kidding right? Just yanking our chains to get a response right? Thanks for a bit of humor, I'm going to assume you just wanted to make me LOL and you succeeded, Thanks, if I can think of something to make you smile in the future I'll try to return the favor, happy diving.

Last edited:
In any ruling system, the powerful will eventually find a way to infiltrate it and exert it influence on it. P1ut0cracy and k1ept0cracy with a fancy veneer is still the same thing. Rev01ution is good once in a while to shake things up.

4narchism has never been in a running form long enough to show that it does not disintegrate into a power grab, since the power hungry entities has always been on the other side trying to destroy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom