The FBI took my salvage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman once bubbled...
They seemed VERY interested. They wanted to know exactly where I found it and exactly when. They wanted to know what I'd touched. They wanted all MY info including my social security number.
Pretty standard investigation procedures. You've found potential EVIDENCE of a crime. Anyone who paid any attention to the O.J. Simpson trial knows the importance of preserving the integrity of evidence.

Law enforcement plays for breaks. All you need to start cracking a case is a tiny fissure where you can put a wedge and start hammering, and they're looking for cracks. Not necessarily with you, but anywhere. I guarantee they ran a background check on you before you left the field office. If they had any probable cause, they would have detained you. Some fools bring evidence of their own crimes to the police to divert suspicion from themselves if they think the heat is on. Or maybe the "good citizen" wants to burn a co-conspirator. Since law enforcement is paid to be suspicious, they're considering those possibilities. That dummy M-40 grenade you found won't look good.... :)

Incidentally, every investigator knows the value of time. Time tends to change memories, and your story told today will differ from the story you tell in a month. Investigators seize on that fact to find inconsistencies in your story. Shoot, we lawyers do it all the time. It's how you discredit a witness. Don't be surprised if the FBI contacts you in a few weeks to ask you some more questions.

Look out for black helicopters and sedans. :)

A guy here off the coast found a live grenade. He tried to sell it on ebay and got busted by the SBI/FBI. Doesn't look good for him. I think he was just being dumb...nothing terrorist related.

I went to South Florida on vacation with a handful of crisp, new $100s that I got directly from the teller window of the commercial bank where I did business at the time (in Chicago)

I made the "mistake" of trying to break one in a South Florida bank, as I was out of reasonably-sized bills and wanted to do a bit of shopping without flashing around $100s.

They claimed it was counterfeit, and ultimately seized it.

Well, there was one small problem. It wasn't, as was later PROVEN.

In the end the bank not only issued me a written letter of apology, but also gave me substantially more money than what they stole from me, in order to avoid theft-by-conversion civil charges which I was hell-bent and determined to bring against them, along with a suit for false arrest (they attempted to detain me as well.)

Quite frankly, the payoff for my inconvenience was well worth it on an hourly wage basis :wink:

As a consequence of the settlement I will not name the bank involved, but will say that one particular banking chain in South Florida will NEVER see business of any kind from me, and I would recommend that nobody else do so either.

I've dealt with law enforcement in rendering them assistance a few times. Most of the time they have been quite courteous and thankful to receive the help.

But not always.

As a consequence, in general, I am simply ambivalent about such things.

If the authorities want citizens to help them out, they need to adopt a more rational, balanced and most importantly, evenly applied approach. Until and unless I can be assured that my assistance will not turn into a pointing finger of accusation, I'll be damned if I'm going to help them if by some random event I happen to see something they would be interested in knowng.

Walter once bubbled...
Big brother.

I expected this from Genesis.

:D

K

Ok - I have one word for you "Y-Fi" This is the future.

Currently coffee shops offer free net access when you walk in the door. Some small towns offer free access within the city limits. Now, walmart has intoduced transmitters the size of a grain of sand it is now placing inside clothing, shoes...you name it. Did they tell you? Course not, theye're only barcodes! They're called Radio Frequency I.D. sensors - RFID tags for short. Now as Y-Fi catches on, net clouds become bigger and everyone has RFID chips on them, guess what....your being mapped into a huge GIS system. Now, lets just say good ole Ashcroft wants to know where you were when that lovely lady was killed ...oops, theres that CD wrapper you threw out the window its right next to her body...BINGO. Thats right folks...coming soon!!

What can we do? Stay underwater as much as possible...

A little liberty is the price you pay for security. And dont give me that Franklin BS.

FFMDiver once bubbled... Ok - I have one word for you "Y-Fi" This is the future.

Currently coffee shops offer free net access when you walk in the door. Some small towns offer free access within the city limits. Now, walmart has intoduced transmitters the size of a grain of sand it is now placing inside clothing, shoes...you name it. Did they tell you? Course not, theye're only barcodes! They're called Radio Frequency I.D. sensors - RFID tags for short. Now as Y-Fi catches on, net clouds become bigger and everyone has RFID chips on them, guess what....your being mapped into a huge GIS system. Now, lets just say good ole Ashcroft wants to know where you were when that lovely lady was killed ...oops, theres that CD wrapper you threw out the window its right next to her body...BINGO. Thats right folks...coming soon!!

What can we do? Stay underwater as much as possible...
The people at Wallyworld have their hands full keeping track of the inventory they actually own. Keeping track of what has left the store wouldn't seem to be in the best interests of the corporation. Consider the consequences of one wrongful arrest based on a misidentification of that CD wrapper.

Perhaps an aluminum foil hat would help you with your problem.

I would also suggest you not litter.

Back
Top Bottom