The fear of "whats in the water"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do people who fear heights then skydive, people who fear falling then free climb, people who fear insects study entomology and lastly but hardly exhaustive why do people who fear the water take up scuba diving. Beats me, perhaps for the same reason moths are drawn to a flame, perhaps macabre curiosity. N

Nemrod, that is exactly the point why people who fear to do things ended up doing them. It is one of many ways to overcome the fear, works for some people.

I wouldn't even swim in a lake before I started diving for that same reason, but I have no problems with diving in the lake, lol. I think it's b/c you can see what's around you (for the most part), whereas when you're swimming, you can't.

Heh, Parysa, you wouldn't have liked my dive yesterday. It's a small quarry, if nobody's there, the viz in colder weather is about 20 ft. There were about 30 divers doing a pumpkin carving competition. By the time I got in the water after all the "rototillers", the viz had dropped to "hey, I can just see my glove".

The dive shop had set up an underwater trail out to the dive training platform in 20 ft. I could barely find the orange flags or even the ghosts and skeletons underwater. It was a Braille dive! It was fun anyway.

I think a person is BRAVEST to do what he/she is afraid of.
There is less challenge required if there is no inborn fear of the activity.

@c rock: fear of the unknown. you'll be fine once in the water.

2 things i fear underwater: a diver crashing a reef & a titan trigger fish. i got chased once by a 2 foot bugger. it bit chunks off my yellow fins :D. but there have been instances where i was not more than 5ft away but it didn't budge. weird critter.

c rock 1,

During the first few night dives I did, a 15' great white shark continually circled me just outside the reach of my light. I never saw it but I knew it was there. Seriously, in 30 years of diving I have never been hurt by any sea creature (well, except for fire coral & jelly fish, but they don't count.) The closest I have come was a stone fish episode yesterday in La Paz, & he wasn't moving.

c rock 1,

During the first few night dives I did, a 15' great white shark continually circled me just outside the reach of my light. I never saw it but I knew it was there. Seriously, in 30 years of diving I have never been hurt by any sea creature (well, except for fire coral & jelly fish, but they don't count.) The closest I have come was a stone fish episode yesterday in La Paz, & he wasn't moving.

So if you touch this fire coral what happens? and dont some jellyfish have deadly or very bad venom? Like the box jellyfish?..

anyways as the days get closer to when im starting my cert. class im getting excited!

It's quite likely that the scariest thing you will ever see underwater will be some other scuba diver ...

I had to laugh at this. One of the biggest adrenaline rushes I've had underwater was on my fourth or fifth dive, when we were in typical lousy summer viz, and out of the dark in front of me swam something BIG AND DARK. My heart jumped into my throat and my eyes got really wide and my breathing got fast for a moment . . . Until I saw the big, green Nitrox stickers on the double tanks. Whew!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom