The first dive is an adjustment dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoccerJeni

Scuba Baby
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've been thinking over something and come to a conclusion...my first dive is just going to be an adjustment dive.

I don't get to dive very often. The closest dive location is 4 hours away and typically people dive that site from May until September/October. So, I try to sneak in a couple of dives anytime I'm near water that's semi-clear enough to dive in. That means I do a lot of diving in different conditions, different vis, different temps, fresh/salt. Rarely do I have the same conditions each time I dive. But, there's one thing I've discovered, the first dive is going to be an adjustment dive.

This past few months I did 2 dives in Ft. Lauderdale and 2 dives in San Diego. Each time I felt jacked up on my first dive. I was frustrated with myself that I didn't have better buoyancy or better breathing rates. Then I realized, everything's different, the circumstances are different, so dive #1 = find the adjustments you need to make. It's not as much fun to be down on that first dive knowing something is off and it needs to change, but that's what dive #1 is all about. Between dive #1 and dive #2 in San Diego I dropped 8 pounds of weight! Man, it was nice to get that extra weight off and Dive #2 was much much better! And that's how it always is, Dive #2 is much better!

Since many others of you may dive in the same locations, this may not be as big of a thing for you as it is for me. But, I'd love to hear others experiences and if they deal with this too.

I think it's a great idea to get all of your gear/weighting properly figured out before you dive in new conditions! Unfortunately I don't think it happens as much as it should because most of us find it hard to pass up a "fun dive" in a new location especially when significant monetary/other investments have been made to be there.

I've spent a fair amount of time conducting coral and other research on SCUBA, and every time I've ended up in a new place, at a new field station, or even just diving with a different group of people, we have been required to do a "safety dive" to get everything figured out. I think they're great! At this point I have pretty much every single possible combination of exposure protection/tank/BC figured out weighting wise (and i made sure that they are all written down!), but I like being able to double check that the weight is distributed evenly, figure out if i misjudged the necessary exposure protection, and identify any weird little quirks of the people I will be spending a lot of time underwater with.

I think the adjustment dive is a great practice, especially if you are diving in unfamiliar conditions or with unfamiliar gear. Every time I add something new (that's a major item) to my kit I always do a couple of dives to get more comfortable with it before actually going on a "fun dive". Keep it up! :D As you've already noticed, diving is a lot more fun when it comes naturally and you don't have to be thinking about that one little thing that is off or why you're uncomfortable.

i dive as much as i can, which still isnt as much as i would like. even then, the first dive is about the same for me. this past weekend i was in full cave gear. im taking classes later this month so i wanted to get used to having all the gear on and where i want it. the first dive i felt super cluttered and very uncomfortable. i had also forgotten to clip in the necks on my cylinders(sidemount) this had them riding too low and causing all sorts of issues. i nearly packed up for the day.

i also log where i am, the conditions, what gear im wearing and how much weight if any was needed so i always have a reference.

Yes! You're exactly right! Sometimes it's just those little things that you want to adjust, move this here, move that there. Shift weight to this location or whatever, but almost always that first dive I'm thinking, shoot, I don't like that the way it is. And I want a redo. Ha

Well, for example, when we head down to Mexico to go cave diving, the first day's dive is planned as a "shakedown dive". Even though we have been there lots of times, and are familiar with the tanks and the weighting and everything, it's still different enough that we have to plan an easy, stress-free dive for the first day, until everybody gets a chance to relax into the setup.

According to DAN the majority of dive accidents occur on the 1st dive. I usually take a camera diving with me, but on the 1st dive I leave it on the boat/shore. I'd rather not have an additional task load on the 1st dive and instead be able to devote full attention to getting back into the swing of diving and paying extra attention to my dive buddy. So I'm with you, take it easy on that first dive, don't set any big objectives.

Sometimes I feel rusty after two or three weeks off. I can only imagine people who take months off diving. Doing a conservative dive that is careful and well-planning is extremely important the first dive back, and it's important to acknowledge some adaptation time with any time off or any new dive condition.

I think the adjustment dive is a great practice, especially if you are diving in unfamiliar conditions or with unfamiliar gear. Every time I add something new (that's a major item) to my kit I always do a couple of dives to get more comfortable with it before actually going on a "fun dive"

I know I speak for a lot of us, we can't resist the urge to buy a new piece of gear. Someone had a name for it, I think it's called "Scubitis." It's quite contagious and there is no known cure. Therefore, I perform training dives for a buddy or myself as often as needed!

---------- Post added December 4th, 2012 at 10:59 PM ----------

Btw, fwiw, since you travel, it's handy to have this chart with you to help calculate your weight based on the different types of tanks. I thought IANTD had a chart, but I did find this one just googled it:

Scuba Cylinder Specification Chart from Huron Scuba, Ann Arbor Michigan

I have all my adjustments sorted out for local diving at familiar sites. I still rent most of my gear (buying slowly, piece by piece), but I rent from the same shop every time when I dive locally, so I know the gear I'll be using. But the first dive is an adjustment dive when I'm away from home. If I've bought some new gear, I generally try it out at a really easy local site before taking it on a 'fun dive'.

Like anything in life, the key to being a successful diver does start with experience. The more different situations you're faced with, the more you'll understand how to deal with them. Fresh water/Salt Water, steel tanks, aluminum tanks, dry suits, cold water wet suits, warm water suits, all these things will be a quick correction in weight, once you've experienced them. This is why dive logs are so handy, because you can write down what you did, so next time on your first dive in a foreign environment with the possibility of foreign gear, you've got it nailed.

It does suck to learn diving via traveling instead of being able to dive locally with all your own gear. However, the trade off is being able to gain the experience in different type of conditions quicker then say someone who visits the same sites over and over again. The only downside is cost and much more limited time in the water, then say if you lived right next to the ocean and can dive before work every day! heh :wink:

So the key is to feel comfortable underwater in any condition.

I remember my first 100+ foot dive in the warm waters of Florida. First dive, went right to the wreck at 105 feet and got narced. I had never been narced before and I also hadn't been in the warm waters before, so I was way underdressed. But after I got over being narced, I continued my dive, shivering because it was so damn cold out there, but it was fun. It was a two dive boat, so I asked our captain to go somewhere warmer and we did, dive two rocked! I learned a lesson in humility... over-dress and on your first dive in a foreign environment, take your time. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom