The first dive is an adjustment dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since many others of you may dive in the same locations, this may not be as big of a thing for you as it is for me. But, I'd love to hear others experiences and if they deal with this too.

I don't get to travel all that much but locally my dives range from trunks in freshwater to full drysuit insulation in the ocean.

If you keep meticulous records of gear, weight, water and proposed changes you will become predictable in your set-up.

Over time that 1st dive instability will lessen especially when you splash with a working set-up.

Pete

Pics or it didn't happen.

Since it's such a pain in the butt to upload pics on here, I just changed my avatar :)

---------- Post added December 6th, 2012 at 07:55 PM ----------

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes I do have some of my own gear. I have a 3mm wetsuit, but that won't work in cold water. I have my own bcd, computer, and regs. I get to dive somewhere around 4 to 5 times a year :(

Since it's such a pain in the butt to upload pics on here, I just changed my avatar :)

---------- Post added December 6th, 2012 at 07:55 PM ----------

Thanks for all the suggestions. Yes I do have some of my own gear. I have a 3mm wetsuit, but that won't work in cold water. I have my own bcd, computer, and regs. I get to dive somewhere around 4 to 5 times a year :(

Don't stress about getting yourself perfect in the water straight away it always takes a while especially if you haven't gotten a lot of dives under your belt.

Just enjoy yourself and relax and things will fall in place easier. As for the 3mm not being suitable for colder waters you could layer up at bit with lavacore or henderson/hyperflex polyolefin inner wear which significantly increases your warmth.

A full polyolefin suit with a 3mm is closer to 5 or even 6mm suits.

My first dives are always shakedown dives anyway as I'm always fiddling with new gear and weighing is always an issue with me so I have a standard operating procedure which I follow on all my first dives to shakedown any bugs. A log book on all these adjustments is really useful.

Not a bad idea to snorkle a bit before you make that first dive. Something about getting wet and adjusted..always helps me if the situation allows.

Back
Top Bottom