The flash and manual WB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBailey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok, this will be my first attempt at setting the WB underwater (off my slate) and taking pictures. Thanks to Dee's instructions, I know the button sequence to set the WB.

Since I still operate in point-and-shoot mode, the flash will fire when the camera thinks it is necessary. Won't this screw up my WB? Or should I just turn off the flash?

Edit: Oly 5050, internal flash

even in point and shoot mode you can turn off the flash. Press the flash button on the side and you will see many options. One of them is the lightning bolt with a line thru it. By selecting this the flash is turned off.

PS...I tried and if you have the flash (so that it is on all the time) on and set your MWB you can leave the flash on...it works

Depending on the mode you are using you can switch from finest jpeg to raw and set WB later on your comp. (using PS or some other tool... I use rawshooter)

It is slower and requires conversion (you'll have to convert every picture from raw to jpeg and set WB during this process) but you have full control over your pictures. Best parts are:
1. WB control
2. +-2 exposure setting (even if it's somewhat overexposed)
3. control over sharpening

justleesa:
PS...I tried and if you have the flash (so that it is on all the time) on and set your MWB you can leave the flash on...it works

Yes...it does work!

RAW format is a great thing but if you don't have a program with a RAW converter, Like Photoshop Elements ($99 or cheaper), one of the bigger Photoshop programs, or something like Rawshooter....using the MWB is the next best thing when you're shooting in JPG. I love shooting in RAW and wish I'd started doing it sooner but you don't absolutely have to have it to get good photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom