The food at Hotel Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My GF uncovered someone who posted on a Cozumel board that he or she had issues with the quality of the food on the meal plan at HC. Their complaint was that it was not maintained at the proper temperature so several people got sick. Anyone have any information on this? Maybe this person who posted this info was perpetually late to dinner or something....

We have stayed at hotel coz three times now (9 days each trip) and we always get the breakfast plan only. We've spoken to a number of guests while there who are on all inclusive and every one of them has said the lunch/dinner is mediocre at best. Two separate couples called it equal to Denny's food at the best of meals. Edible certainly, but not memorable in any way. None said anything about being sick however. The breakfast is all I expect it to be, but then I eat very simple breakfasts when diving. Omelet, yogurt...OJ....dive dive dive. We have had the dessert there one evening and it was extremely mediocre. The good news is it is not much of a walk at all into town...where excellent food awaits.

Hope that helps a little.

My GF uncovered someone who posted on a Cozumel board that he or she had issues with the quality of the food on the meal plan at HC. Their complaint was that it was not maintained at the proper temperature so several people got sick. Anyone have any information on this? Maybe this person who posted this info was perpetually late to dinner or something....

I have stayed there doing the AI a few times. We generally used it for breakfast & lunch & drinks, and then headed downtown for dinner. The difference in cost was such that it was worth it. The lunch was served over by the dive shop at the beach area, which is very convenient if you are doing both morning & afternoon dives.

The food is ok. They do eggs to order in the morning and have a grill going at lunchtime. Lots of fresh fruit. I concur that the desserts are nothing to write home about. But I none of us have ever been sick from the food there either.

I've stayed there 4 times, 2 times were 2 week trips, one was an off season single week trip, and last Feb for the second week of a 2 week trip where week # 1 was spent at the Grand, and during high season. Last Feb the food wasn't up to previous years, but it still met our needs vs cost, and we do eat out some days no matter where we stay because we have several favorite places to eat & the list keeps growing.
Breakfast. Pretty hard to screw up but last trip we found (we went early so that I could dive early) that many of the foors in trays (they float in hot water) were cold, because they had been put out earlier & the water under them hadn't been pre heated. The Egg / Omlet station was the cure, and is generally where I head anyway.
Lunch. Again not up to previous trips but still close because it's never been very good, but that may be partly because there aren't a lot of guests around at that time of day. You can find something to eat, or get a hamburg / cheeseburg or a few other things cooked to order IF YOU'RE POLITE. The staff seems to respond to polite people much better than to complainers.
Dinner. We've always found that dinner would offer some decent choices, but again last trip things weren't as good as previous trips EXCEPT for that low season trip. Some nights were really great, but at least 2 were lackluster. We still enjoyed the food, but not as much as previous trips. The one off season trip had a good dinner, but far less variety was available which was understandable since they were at about 23% to 25% occupancy.
You might find this worth reading for a bit more insight.

Fully met my expectations again., our second visit. - Review of Hotel Cozumel and Resort, Cozumel, Mexico - TripAdvisor

And this is what I wrote after last Feb's trip.

2 weeks, 2 resorts, my thoughts & comments. - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

I have also been there several times on the AI plan....and echo what others have said...

I have a rule of thumb I go by and I try to be first in line :wink: if it suppose to be hot and it is not I don't eat it...if it is suppose to be cold and it is not I don't eat it....

I have never gotten sick on the food...I try to order off the grill if at all possible...when you go AI you get what you pay for :wink:

IMO food is better in town

Go to Trip Advisor and take a peek at what others say about Hotel Coz. But remember, a lot of folks only head to the internet to post a bad report when they've had 'issues' with a hotel. Coz is rated at 3 stars (not that means much) and is a average hotel.

Food borne illness is a little different. The folks that got sick could have been infected by any number of sources....it doesn't mean they caught it at the hotel or from the food at the hotel. It's just easier to say it was the food.

My wife and I have been to a lot of hotels in Coz and Cancun. I have a bullet proof stomach, my wife does not. Neither one of us have had any issues with getting sick. Okay, she did break her arm while in Cancun - but that's a different story, and not related to what she ate. :D

YMMV,
K

I have to echo what the others have said.... the food downtown is much better than at any hotel on Coz. We have been 5 times and stayed at a different place each time and eaten at probably every restaurant at least once. The worst food we have gotten was at ScubaClub, it was edible but mediocre for the most part. I just don't think the AI food on Coz is good because they are trying to cook things that they don't normally eat (they try to do American style food and fail misserably). Worst food we had was an attempt at Italian, uggghhh. The restaurants downtown, however, you get real authentic Mexican and Mayan food and that is what they know best. :D
So go to Hotel Cozumel, get the breakfast only option, and eat ala carte the rest of the time... walk to town for dinner.

Why would anyone want an AI in Coz. So many great places to eat!

I wouldnt consider anything but a breakfast.

JMHO...

Thanks all. The response is like a cave, lots of echos.
I booked with my local dive club. The deal included all meals, dives, flights, etc etc etc. I guess I'm ok with blowing off dinner most nights, but I was hoping I was basically done spending-more or less.
Is there anything to watch out for on these evening dinner strolls walking from HC to town? Any alleys that should be avoided?
Thanks for the advice.

The AI option comes down to cost per day & whether you expect to stay at the resort much of the day. I've got it for free one trip as an early booking bonus, 1/2 price another year, and paid full price another trip and still got my moneys worth. Some people don't realize that it's not just alcohol that's expensive, because soda's, lemonade, coffee & tea all cost pretty much what a beer or mixed drink costs. A few drinks of any kind plus breakfast can just about equal the AI cost if it was on sale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom