the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaVideo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What a great movie that is, and it also describes my afternoon of trying on my new TSL350 with my old Scubapro Classic BC.

First the Ugly, that would be me in a very uncomfortable state sweating to death in my new DS (no thermals yet either), hood, gloves, fins - the works.

Then the Bad, the BC with HP S80 (it's stubby and I like it). Struggled to get it on and all connections made. The BC is a size large, and when I was 175lbs this was fine, but now at 200lbs, I don't think so. I could not reach the DS dump valve on my left shoulder. My right shoulder felt completely bound with the width of the BC shoulder area restricting my arm when reaching. I felt that the crotch strap was a little loose and allowed the DS to bunch up, plus my sweating with thermals meant the suit was sticking to me. So I doffed the setup and really struggled out of the DS because of the sweat sticking to the inside (this part really belongs in Ugly). So once out of my contraption I give just the BC a try sans tank, and really notice it does restrict movement, particularly reaching across to opposite shoulders.

the Good, I get to buy a new BC :D or wait to lose another 20lbs to dive:depressed: - that's not happening. So now I am very intrigued by the idea of unrestricted movement and getting the weight of my ribs and hips. That's what I understand a backpack and wing will do for me - is that correct?

I think my not so LDS caries Halcyon, but I really have no clue about the types available and the pluses and minuses of each. I have some choices in dive stores, if anyone in the SF Bay Area, or Monterey area can recommend a shop, or instructors, etc. I would like a system that will work even when I lose weight, and can add to it as I need.

Another question, how is it to snorkel in a BP/W when heading to and from dive spots? The 3 negatives I have heard about BP/W is the snorkeling, crotch strap and metal plate on the spine. I think the DS with padding takes care of the painful two, but what about the snorkeling?

Sounds like you had a rough day. Good news, is we've all been there, and then managed to make it past, you can do it too!

Thinking about a bp/w is a good option and something that many DS divers find works well for them.

I suspect you've already done a good deal of reading if your asking the questions you are.

For snorkeling, I don't see any reason why it should or would be any different in a bp/w, that being said, I think you'll find after a bit that it is more comfortable to just kick on your back with your head enjoying the view of Whalers cove and watch out for sea otters (I wish we had those buggers here!)

I've yet to notice my crotch strap being an issue. I doubt you'd even know it is there while diving, even in trunks in the tropics. The only time I've felt it is while scooter behind a very fast scooter.

The only time I ever disliked diving a metal plate was when I got the idea of diving topless in the Caribbean. Metal on skin, well maybe not so much, but even with a 1/2MM skin on, it isn't an issue. With a DS and undergarments I doubt you'd even be able to feel a difference. Check into the local shop with the H gear, but do keep in mind that there are many good manufacturers. DSS is my personal favorite, as well as many others on this board but do what your most comfortable with!

Best of luck!

What a great movie that is, and it also describes my afternoon of trying on my new TSL350 with my old Scubapro Classic BC.

First the Ugly, that would be me in a very uncomfortable state sweating to death in my new DS (no thermals yet either), hood, gloves, fins - the works.

Then the Bad, the BC with HP S80 (it's stubby and I like it). Struggled to get it on and all connections made. The BC is a size large, and when I was 175lbs this was fine, but now at 200lbs, I don't think so. I could not reach the DS dump valve on my left shoulder. My right shoulder felt completely bound with the width of the BC shoulder area restricting my arm when reaching. I felt that the crotch strap was a little loose and allowed the DS to bunch up, plus my sweating with thermals meant the suit was sticking to me. So I doffed the setup and really struggled out of the DS because of the sweat sticking to the inside (this part really belongs in Ugly). So once out of my contraption I give just the BC a try sans tank, and really notice it does restrict movement, particularly reaching across to opposite shoulders.

the Good, I get to buy a new BC :D or wait to lose another 20lbs to dive:depressed: - that's not happening. So now I am very intrigued by the idea of unrestricted movement and getting the weight of my ribs and hips. That's what I understand a backpack and wing will do for me - is that correct?

I think my not so LDS caries Halcyon, but I really have no clue about the types available and the pluses and minuses of each. I have some choices in dive stores, if anyone in the SF Bay Area, or Monterey area can recommend a shop, or instructors, etc. I would like a system that will work even when I lose weight, and can add to it as I need.

Another question, how is it to snorkel in a BP/W when heading to and from dive spots? The 3 negatives I have heard about BP/W is the snorkeling, crotch strap and metal plate on the spine. I think the DS with padding takes care of the painful two, but what about the snorkeling?

I lost what I just wrote, go with a wing & backplate, forget about the BC stuff.
PM me and I will go to Monterey and you can try my stuff, Oxycheq wing,l Hollis harness, someone else's sweet plate. If I find what I wrote, i will add later today, i have to clean my garage. One question, have you ever used a snorkle coming in, I just use my tank or roll on my back so I don't need a snorkle.

Back
Top Bottom