The great Suunto data cable thread (incl DIY)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

truant:
Finally, I see many online retailers imply that a PC interface comes with the Mosquito. This seems odd, considering it is now one of the least expensive Suunto Computers out there - so, has anyone bought a Mosquito recently, and did it come with the cable?

No.

truant:
I am sure I am not alone in feeling Suunto are doing their products a great deal of disservice by making the cable so expensive relative to the cost of manufacture....and don't include the cable in with most Computer purchases.

Having played around with SDM 2.1.3 a few times (without a Dive computer yet), I find that the software seems to be quite quirky and feels like a beta, which is surprising that a) Suunto is one of the world leaders in this field b) their Computers are so expensive; and c) the damn cable is so expensive.
It seems many non-Suunto computers come with PC interface cables....it mystifies me why Suunto are so arrogant with their cables.

Couldn't agree more. I got a Sensus Pro dive recorder for not much more than the cost of a cable for my mosquito. Now I'll never have to pay $100 for a USB cable again. And I can downlad to my Mac whether I want to dive with my Mosquito or my Nitek Plus. My Mosquito is seeing less and less bottom time to the point of it being in the Save-A-Dive kit in case the Dive Rite craps out. (so far, still waiting for that to happen)

I admire all you guys for using your skills to work around the issue, though.

Truant,

You're absolutely right about the cabel thing... you need two!

The D6 and D9 have a different connector on the casing than the Mosquito...Vytec..etc.

I'm sorry for you... I know these things are expensive. I own both a Vytec and a Stinger... and two cables as well!
If Amazon states in an ad, that it has a cable that services both the Mosq and D<x>, it is most likely to be wrong.

Actually, come to think of it, Suunto does a decent job on the interfaces... they usually make a series of computers that use a single interface. they just happen to upgrade it every now and then. A little comfort, if you happen to be one of those people that own machines of different series :D

Regards,

Melle

truant:
I am about to buy 2 dive computers, a D6 for me and a Mosquito for my wife. But, one thing that really bothers me is the interface cable prices. To make matters worse, if we both want to use SDM, we may need TWO cables.
however, this link, does not mention D6/D9 compatibility...
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-PC-Interface-for-SUUNTO-Vytec-Cobra-Vyper-Mosquito_W0QQitemZ140044135809QQihZ004QQcategoryZ50882QQcmdZViewItem

Hello all. I just recently moved to the Cayman Islands for a 2 year gig. Just bought a used Suunto Mosquito without the interface cable. I have read some older threads that talk about DIY cables but none of the links are active. Could anyone help me out or want to sell and OEM cable they no longer need. Thanks --> Rick

Don't you need drivers for the COM to USB board?
I don't get why they don't change that. They are using "newer" USB cable but the protocol underneath is still COM ports.
To be backward compatible? Hell, COM ports on laptop disappeared in 2000. 11years ago
I think it's time for them to upgrade. It's sad.

Anyone know if the USB cable for a Vyper, Vytec works with DM4? I emailed Suunto but got no response. All the USB cables looks like they just have the RS-232 -> USB converter integrated into them. I can't find in DM4 where I can tell it what COM port to look at...so I have to use Dive Manager 3.1.0 to download and then export from 3.1.0 and then import into DM4. PITA!

here is one for the lazy :)
Smartinterface – Your online shop for dive related accessories
I got the 20 euro type for my Vyper, since my PC got a good old serial connector,
I dont use a laptop.
it just works perfect, fits into vyper with nice click and led indicator
works with DM3 and DM4,
they got an USB type too, that is 38 euro
I am not afiliated with them, just one happy customer, who own two Vypers

I am also an electronics engineer, but just dont have so much spare time
to fumble arround for hrs to save just 20 euros :)
the joy and fun in making your own stuff is some thing worth more then money
to some one, I fully understand that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom