The Great Travis Traverse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was at Windy Point in May (9th - 11th) and June (7th - 10th) and both times the visibility at depth wasn't very good. I plan on returning in July. I hope visibility is more cooperative so I can see what progress has been made on this.

I was at Windy Point in May (9th - 11th) and June (7th - 10th) and both times the visibility at depth wasn't very good. I plan on returning in July. I hope visibility is more cooperative so I can see what progress has been made on this.

I don't think much progress has been made at all, I know some line tightenting has happened, I think other then that its all been "looking for the line" and "seeing how far it goes" when me and a buddy went down to lay line we didn't find it twice, bad vis.

when "windex" forms thats when I hope to get down there and do something

'Windex' forming may take a while. Finding the line may be extremely difficult. On one of our dives during my last class, we went to one of the boats down near the bottom. It was almost completely covered in mud and almost unrecognizable.

Even if the line has been cut, burried, etc, I'm pretty sure I can navigate to the tie-in without too much ado. I'll pop down there again in the next few weeks, see what it's like, report findings, and we can take it from there...

Vis report: 07/05 - Windy Point Private
Depth at the bottom of the river bank: 150ft
Temp: 59 degrees
Visibility: 6-8 inches

It ain't cleared up yet...

Trey

Dunno if there is any interest in this any longer, but Lutz and I found what we believe to be the opposite river bank in October. The line seems to have snapped between post 3 and 4...so we tied off on post 3 and headed due West. We hit several rising folds and ended up about 20ft above max depth in the river bed before we made our turn. Would have been alot more fun if the max depth hadn't been 140ft...does anyone know where all the water is?

:doh2:

Would have been alot more fun if the max depth hadn't been 140ft...does anyone know where all the water is?

:doh2:

LOL...it's not up here in the north Tx. ponds!!

The couple of runs I made down there this summer the conditions were so bad we didn't even find the line, then diesel hit 4.90 a gallon and I decided that swimming in the muck wasn't worth the $100.00+ in diesel let alone the entry fee, food, and breathing gas.

I've been swimming in the muck mostly close to me house for free this past summer.

Hopefully diesel prices will be more inline next time the vis opens up down there

The couple of runs I made down there this summer the conditions were so bad we didn't even find the line, then diesel hit 4.90 a gallon and I decided that swimming in the muck wasn't worth the $100.00+ in diesel let alone the entry fee, food, and breathing gas.

I've been swimming in the muck mostly close to me house for free this past summer.

Hopefully diesel prices will be more inline next time the vis opens up down there

I am still willing to do a documentary video of your teams adventure if interested PM me and we can set up the time to do interviews. Really exciting project you all have been involved with in this venture.

Shawn O'Shea

well, not sure its really a "project" more so just an excuse to swim around on the bottom of travis :)

Maybe one of these days someone or myself will get serious about making it happen and it will turn into a true project.

Which, actually now would be the time to get on it and git r done because the lake is down low, and we can put drysuits on without risk of heat stroke.. hmmm..

Maybe its time to get my helium refilled after I get back from cozumel next month.

Back
Top Bottom