The Great Travis Traverse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Planning another trip, probably the 22nd, from the reports that have been posted maybe I'll get to see something this time.

I'm taking the PADI IE that weekend, so I can't play. :(

Sure wouldn't mind getting out there this year to make some progress though. A cave-style mainline with jumps would be very nice for practice!

Me, Kurt, and Zinc went down to add some line.

Dive plan was, Kurt carries a 5' stake down to the end of the line, at which point he hooks the stake on the line, ties off, adds line, I follow down the line carrying a stake, pass the one he dropped and take it out to a certain point and sink it, he ties off to it, continues to add line and i go back for the other stake he left.

In the mean time Zinc hammers on the first stake, then picks up the extra stake left there and relays that out to me, then I turn around take that back out again to slam down for kurt to tie off onto, then zinc on exit lays arrows.

I must be really tired because that makes it sound complicated :)

All went I guess "ok" but on my way out I ran into what I thought was Kurt, so I waited, and waited, and waited, he wasn't moving, then I listened and realized he wasnt' breathing so I was like hell I better check on him, I moved forward and it turned out to be a rock, I couldn't see at all, I was going 100% by feel it was the first solid object i hit down there so I thought it was him.

Moving on I did run into him, I thought ok he is waiting on a stake, sunk it, 4' went in all the way up to a foot real easy, went to tell him via touch contact the stake was ready but he was gone and the line was running so I thought ok I'll just wrap it up, I hooked it into the notch and gave it a couple good hard wraps, turns out what I think happened is I put the stake between stakes 2 and 3, oh well an extra stake won't hurt and that section of the line is uber tight, the 5' stakes to a very very good job of securing the line.

I then went back and grabbed the "staged" stake that was left on the line, and swam it back out to Kurt, sunk it, he have me the touch contact signal for move back, I took it as go back, so I pull the line tight into the notch until I felt him messing with it and I headed out, I met zinc coming out the line bringing me the 3rd stake, i took it and hooked it on the line, I was pushing close to 30 minutes at that point so I knew Kurt had to be close to his time, things move real slow when you can't see.

A few times on the line I thought for sure it had some zig zag to it, but I tend to swim in circles when I can't see so I don't know how straight it goes, Kurt said he only got one real good compass shot out there, otherwise you can see to read the compass.

I gauged my gas supply from my time, I can read my X1 by putting it up to my mask, reading my spg was hopeless, and reading a compass was out of the question, between the already horrid spoty vis, hammering, and sinking stakes the only way out is the line, or a bag.

59.7 on top, 54.3 on the bottom, max depth 140 ffw (its possible that is 140 with my arm 8" into silt, 7mm gloves hides a lot) vis was ok down to about 80 feet and it just went down from there, on the bottom the vis was either a couple inches or zero depending on where you were at on the line.

With conditions this bad I"m not sure how much progress can be made, due to the fact if you can't read the compass its real hard to head west :) I'm hoping the segment we added was pretty straight, but if we get any kind of vis down there we may find a nice zig zag :)

This is what I call "same lake diving", I dove in the same lake with Kurt and Brandon but I have no idea what they did cause I never saw them until up on deco :)

Otherwise, good times, just another excuse to dive and good to meet another crazy diver that somehow finds entertainment in playing in the mud on the bottom of a lake.

I dove 25/25 and 50%, early dives were done on 21/35, from now on I'll go back to 21/35 then just top up my left over gas with air for the next dive as I only used 1100 psi, with 25/25 I have to blow the gas and re mix.

I am soooo fasinated by this and wish I was both qualified and there to get involved. Seems like some great dive skills practice!!! Maybe later in the year when I am home and if it works out for everyone I could join in.

Enjoy your dives!!!

Not sure what your training/expreience is but at a MINIMUM I would recommend cavern/intro and deco precedures before even thinking about going down there in these conditions, better yet would be full cave and trimix (or know where to get it). One should also be very comfortable with solo diving as with the way it is now, even with other divers your doing "same lake diving".

Just don't want to see anyone get hurt is all, not trying to talk like I'm super diver so please take my comment as nicely as possible as that is how it is meant.

Not sure what your training/expreience is but at a MINIMUM I would recommend cavern/intro and deco precedures before even thinking about going down there in these conditions, better yet would be full cave and trimix (or know where to get it). One should also be very comfortable with solo diving as with the way it is now, even with other divers your doing "same lake diving".

Just don't want to see anyone get hurt is all, not trying to talk like I'm super diver so please take my comment as nicely as possible as that is how it is meant.

So visibility in Lake Travis is still poor to poorer. I have not been to Mansfield in over a month. Thought the lake was turning.

So visibility in Lake Travis is still poor to poorer. I have not been to Mansfield in over a month. Thought the lake was turning.

I'd have to disagree with that. It's not good, but it seems to be improving over the last few weekends I've been out. I haven't been to the riverbed, but anytime you're anchoring stakes into silt the vis is probably going to suck...whether it was bad in the first place or not.

Back
Top Bottom