The Guardian movie: why the MoF?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fernando

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Have you guys watched the movie The Guardian, about the US Coast Guard training? Did anyone notice how the rescue swimmers keep their masks on their foreheads all the time?

Does anyone know why would they do that? Does it really happen like that or is just movie stuff?

The swimmers also carry snorkels, I believe to help breathing in rough seas. The thing is, they never actually appear using them in rough waters.

Anyone? Just curious.

Fernando

My guess is that the MoF is because they jump, then don and clear. I think the snorkel thing is poetic license....I suspect rescuers use them in heavy seas.

Totally my guess.

BTW, are my wife and I the only ones that liked that flick? It seemed to get panned by a lot of folks.

I think mostly because we pay a lot of money to see Kevin and Ashton's (sp?) faces. A mask covers most of your face and it is hard to see facial expressions as the pretty boys act for us. For the most part, I like the movie and would watch it again.

I didn't love the movie, but I found it ok. My girlfriend liked it very much.

I was thinking that maybe the masks were strapped to the hoods, somehow, so it would be no problem if it fell from their heads. But then I noticed that, in the movie, they held the mask strap behind their heads for jumping into the water. I don't think the masks would last 2 minutes on their heads with those waves.

I also figured they couldn't use it around their necks, because of the risk of an out of control victim pushing it and hanging them.

Did you notice how they hooked their fins to their suits for walking on boat decks? That was pretty cool.

I think leah is right, the mof lets people see their face better

To sum up some of the questions already brought up. Sport is the only place MOF seems to create a problem. The rest of the world could care less what you do with it.

In actual working scenarios a mask around your neck can be a major problem. It’s nice to have a mask to wear but if we lose it we lose it, which might cause some inconvenience and uncomfort but it’s not a reason to abort an operation. Get or buy another one later. In all my years of diving I have never lost a mask and I have been in some very nasty water conditions.

The sport world is very different from the working world. It’s like comparing apples and oranges.

Gary D.

Fernando:
I also figured they couldn't use it around their necks, because of the risk of an out of control victim pushing it and hanging them

That would surprise me because you approach an out of control diver from behind, diving down underneath them to get there if necessary. I think you were right that the mask on the forehead makes for a better movie shot. Either that or the filmmakers are charging them by the mask.

Sharky1948:
BTW, are my wife and I the only ones that liked that flick? It seemed to get panned by a lot of folks.

No, you're not the only ones that liked it. My husband and I liked it.

There is someone that I work with that used to be a rescue swimmer, so I'll have to ask him about the MoF and what the deal is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom