THE HEART OF A SOLO DIVER: Once unheard of, Solo Diving is starting to gain acceptanc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverWire

Contributor
Reaction score
(DiverWire) Contributing Editor John Flanders talks about the growing acceptance and changes in the industry when it comes to Solo Diving.I’ve taught many divers to be self-sufficient and written several articles on Solo Diving.  Several years ago, this topic was taboo and even scorned by many.  The buddy system was rooted firmly in most divers’ minds and only radical non-conformists would even dare think about breeching this tried and true practice.  However, as time grew on, the debate took on a depth outside of the normal constraints that solo diving was figurative practices more than a literal practice.  Even with a diver right next to you, there was still a possibility that you were a solo diver. The concept of solo diving ...
Keep reading: THE HEART OF A SOLO DIVER: Once unheard of, Solo Diving is starting to gain acceptance on Diverwire.com

More...

Nice read, thanks for posting the link here.

My first time on SCUBA back in the winter of 1961-62 was solo (we only had one kit) and about 95% of my diving since then has been solo. If I waited for a buddy, I'd never get in any diving (and diving is an integral part of my work). Unless I'm diving fairly shallow (above 50 ft) I always carry my pony bottle as a totally redundant air source. Last time I calculated it, my "incident rate" was 17X higher when buddied up than when solo.

With that said I never recommend solo diving to anyone else. That certainly is not because I think I'm good enough and they aren't. It's because IMHO the most important thing one can determine about one's self and diving before considering solo is how they react to emergency situations. I've had a few in my years and so far I've always reacted calmly and rationally. That is a key. If one is prone to confusion or panic when faced with the unexpected, they are far less likely to be sage if diving solo.

As the full article mentions - Cert does not = ability. Solo diving is best enjoyed very well prepared.

i would love to take an in depth "solo" diver course. i think it would make me a better/more confident/safer diver all around. even if i never did go it alone.

i would love to take an in depth "solo" diver course. i think it would make me a better/more confident/safer diver all around. even if i never did go it alone.

There's the biggest irony of learning to be a solo diver...it makes you a better buddy.

(DiverWire) Contributing Editor John Flanders talks about the growing acceptance and changes in the industry when it comes to Solo Diving.I’ve taught many divers to be self-sufficient and written several articles on Solo Diving. Several years ago, this topic was taboo and even scorned by many. The buddy system was rooted firmly in most divers’ minds and only radical non-conformists would even dare think about breeching this tried and true practice. However, as time grew on, the debate took on a depth outside of the normal constraints that solo diving was figurative practices more than a literal practice. Even with a diver right next to you, there was still a possibility that you were a solo diver. The concept of solo diving ...
Keep reading: THE HEART OF A SOLO DIVER: Once unheard of, Solo Diving is starting to gain acceptance on Diverwire.com

More...

Where to start on what is wrong with this?
  • Represents the kind of person that will go to any length to make it appear that their choices are the best choices--regardless of how bad they may actually be...
  • Great for the Self Indulgent and Self Interested
  • Great for the pariahs that can't find anyone to dive with them
  • Great for people with no peripheral vision or buddy tracking skills and no awareness of buddy behavior, so that it will appear as though they actually wanted to dive alone

Dan:

1.) Most people do 'self justify' their decisions to a point. Just look at the running thread on Dive Training: How much is enough? for examples of choice justification.

2.) Unless you're doing it to placate someone else, recreational scuba diving is inherently a self-indulgent, self-interested activity. Excepting dive professionals, most divers dive for personal gratification.

3.) This 'pariah' thing has come up before. Putting aside that fact that some people in some locations don't have good practical buddy opportunities for the diving they want to do, not everybody is a 'people person.' And some people on this forum are so 'high standards' and critical of mainstream divers' skill levels that I would imagine they'd be happiest diving without an 'incompetent insta-buddy.' My point is, there are a number of reasons people choose to dive alone, aside from being a social outcast. For that matter, some social outcasts might like to dive, too.

4.) Regarding the people lacking peripheral vision/awareness, buddy tracking skills & awareness of buddy behavior, wouldn't it be best for them (once properly trained and equipped) to dive solo, sparing themselves the added task loading of a buddy you deem them ill-equipped to handle, and sparing their buddy a poor dive partner?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom