The High Cost of Cheap Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The Wilson duffel bag I bought at Wal-mart looked functional enough, but with only 51# packed for plane travel, one seam gave way - spilling 15# of weights I had packed, :11: since Calf boats often don't furnished weights. Think about doing an ocean dive in a 7 mil suit with 15# less than planned - aka "Impersonate a Cork!"

Fortune was on my side, though, for while I'd asked the Capt if he could supply 10-15#, he had misunderstood and had 25# waiting for me! And when I asked Delta to look for the soft weights, they just cut me a check for more than I thought they'd be to replace. All in all, I was only out a little frustration. :wink:

You get what you pay for...?!!
A travel bag is something I would not skimp on!

Go to a military surplus store and buy a GI issue duffle. They are practically indestructible and they don't advertise that you are a diver.

We got a boat bag from Bass Pro shops for around $50 or less with wheels. It's bright yellow and very sturdy. It's made out of PVC tarpaulin. Has worked great so far.

Why would you lug 15#s of weight around when you can just buy it locally for a couple of bucks and just give it away when you leave? (Or try and sell it if you're that, er,
motivated)

evad:
Why would you lug 15#s of weight around when you can just buy it locally for a couple of bucks and just give it away when you leave? (Or try and sell it if you're that, er,
motivated)

Thought of that, but I was under 50#, so I thought "Why not?" I'd doing it again, but with a better bag.

DandyDon:
Thought of that, but I was under 50#, so I thought "Why not?" I'd doing it again, but with a better bag.

Yeah, but 15#s on top of 45#s seems a lot heavier than 15
on its own.

DandyDon:
The Wilson duffel bag I bought at Wal-mart looked functional enough, but with only 51# packed for plane travel, one seam gave way - spilling 15# of weights I had packed, :11: since Calf boats often don't furnished weights. Think about doing an ocean dive in a 7 mil suit with 15# less than planned - aka "Impersonate a Cork!"

Fortune was on my side, though, for while I'd asked the Capt if he could supply 10-15#, he had misunderstood and had 25# waiting for me! And when I asked Delta to look for the soft weights, they just cut me a check for more than I thought they'd be to replace. All in all, I was only out a little frustration. :wink:

Don, Don, dahlink. Why are you packing weights? Even if the boat you're diving with "doesn't furnish weights" in the end it's much easier to simply RENT some at your dive destination, rather than lug them along with you.

I hope you've learned your lesson, young man! :wink:

SubMariner:
Don, Don, dahlink. Why are you packing weights? Even if the boat you're diving with "doesn't furnish weights" in the end it's much easier to simply RENT some at your dive destination, rather than lug them along with you.

I hope you've learned your lesson, young man! :wink:

Why would you lug 15#s of weight around when you can just buy it locally for a couple of bucks and just give it away when you leave?

My previous response...

Too, I was using Super Shuttle to get from the airport to the boat. Next time, though, I'll ask the Group sponsor to buy me some weights, let me pay for them, and leave them as part of the tip. That's what I did with the Khalua. :D

Still, my original suggestion is that a duffel should handle 50-70# with airline handling, but the cheap bag failed.

On the other hand, if you really have to use a cheap duffel, you can use nylon ties to reinforce the corner seams. That's how I fixed the torn bag to get home with half my stuff in it. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom