The High Cost of Cheap Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
Did someone say "nylon ties"? :D

17 minutes... maybe a record contender.

K

:wink:

DandyDon:
My previous response...

Too, I was using Super Shuttle to get from the airport to the boat. Next time, though, I'll ask the Group sponsor to buy me some weights, let me pay for them, and leave them as part of the tip. That's what I did with the Khalua. :D

Still, my original suggestion is that a duffel should handle 50-70# with airline handling, but the cheap bag failed.

On the other hand, if you really have to use a cheap duffel, you can use nylon ties to reinforce the corner seams. That's how I fixed the torn bag to get home with half my stuff in it. :wink:

I spent a boat load [sic] on an Akona Roller Duffle and with about 50 pounds (including about 10 pounds in lead) of equipment I managed to rip the handle out myself. Actually, I am pretty disappointed by the Akona in general:

1) The handle ripped as I previously mentioned
2) The security sleeve only lasted one trip before the seam came loose and it got trashed
3) The zipper might be good but the zipper handle is made of either a very soft metal or plastic and two of them broke off.
4) The bag itself weighs too much

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom