The indispensable Solo Diver certificate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johanan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It happened again! Last month I was diving in Caribic islands and experienced the same situation as many times before in different places. We all got on the boat - actually a group of strangers. I asked one of the divemasters - who will be my buddy. "I will", she replied. OK then, what could be better? However, during the dives she often deserted me. In one instance in the very same moment I tried to signal that I am low on air and must ascend, she made a fast descent of some 4 - 5 meters to see something in the wreck. I had to decide whether to follow her down or ascend on my own. Another time she made me a sign to follow another divemaster who had not a clue about it and went somewhere else. She was already onboard when I was still swalowing samples of the waves and waiting for my turn to grab the ladder. The same thing often happens everywhere with strangers as your buddies.

In a context of another discussion I was told that this is what the 1st rule was about. Well... I'm not sure how this rule is formulated, but how on the earth is it possible to implement it on a dive boat full with strangers and unpredictable divemasters? BTW this particular dive center had splendid reviews - that was why I chose them. And in many respects they were good, indeed.

Whatever the 1st rule is, under these circumstances it is highly probable to end up as a solo diver. It seems to me that a SDI Solo Diver certificate is a must-have to dive with tour operators and without your own buddy. How do you handle this problem?

Best wishes!

J.

Last edited:
Rule #1 would suggest that you bring your own buddy who you can trust and you dive together as a buddy team. You can follow the dive guide around but know that he isn't part of your team. In this scenario you are also keeping track of navigation and can get back to your exit point ( the boat ) and if any time the dive guide tells you to do something your buddy team isn't comfortable with you just tell him/her where to go.

Diving solo requires the use of specialized equipment that you're unlikely to have if you just show up on the doorstep of an operator while on vacation. Back mounted doubles, slung/mounted pony bottle or H/Y valve on your tank and the use of two first stages with separate second stages, for instance. Some of us choose to dive this way whether we have a buddy or not, but there's definitely logistical considerations when it comes to solo diving - training is very important, being prepared with the correct equipment is equally imperative.

Sure, such 1st rule would solve the problem. Alas, it doesn't seem a realistic option for me in most of times. Almost the only way how I travel overseas are business trips. This is how I plan my vaccations. My employer pays the airfares and I stay there longer for a week or so. It is highly unlikely that I could bring along another person. Diving by the rule would mean to skip most of the world's top dive sites. Therefore I am considering the Solo Diver certificate and putting together the necessary equipment. I have heard about "find a buddy" program - just heard, not more. Do you know how it works and how reliable it is?

Thanks for your posts!

J.

A major problem with the solo cert is that some dive charters and shops will still not allow you to dive alone with the cert, even if you have the proper redundant equipment (liability issues or just protocol).

Dealing with bad buddies is an inevitability (unfortunately). However, the problem with most bad dive pairs I've encountered is communication. Make sure before you dive with a new buddy to go over the dive plan, signals, and emergency protocol in detail (takes less than 5min), and you'll probably find that you will have fewer negative buddy experiences.

I do agree that your DM buddy kind of sucked.

If you signaled you were low on air, and she ignored you...leave her. sounds crappy, but she wasn't "buddied with you" but loosely paired with you. so don't feel guilty at all. if you were ignored by her, you need to separate. good choice bro.

Unfortunately the solo cert will not leave you much better prepared to dive solo than any good basic or advanced certification class would and a solo class taught by a poor instructor will do nothing but give you a card with little practical knowledge. Ask yourself these questions:
Do I plan my air (gas management) before I enter the dive- rock bottom, turn pressures, estimated SAC rate?
Can I read a current? Am I aware enough to notice changes in current while diving and how this will effect my dive plan?
Can I navigate well enough to find the anchored boat in a new site?
Do I understand how changing conditions can effect my air consumption and make the necessary changes to the dive profile to compensate for that?
Do I have the skills to deal with an emergency by myself when the **** hits the fan?
Do I carry and am I comfortable using: an SMB and reel to launch from depth? A redundant air supply of appropriate size for the planned dive and conditions? Do I know how to figure out what an appropriate size redundant air source is (for those of you wondering a spare air is not appropriate size except for dives in a swimming pool)?
Is my equipment always working properly? Do I know enough about it to realize when it is not and the difference between something that can be quickly fixed on board a dive boat (quick oring change or adjustment) and something that needs a complete service? Do I carry the right tools to make the appropriate quick change or adjustment?
Am I physically fit enough to get myself out of a strong current or swim an extended distance if necessary? and the risk of an unexpected medical problem is minimal?

Solo divers should be able to positively answer all these questions and any good solo classes would require you to master all of these things. The problem is many of them can not be taught in a 1-2 day course which most solo classes are - they may present some of the theory ( and many I have seen do not even present the theory) but actual practice takes application or lots of water time. Also someone who may be able to handle a solo dive at a familiar site with low current etc... would not be nearly ready for a unfamiliar site with unexpected/unknown or changing currents. If you are looking to take a solo course ask the instructor how will he address each of these issues during the course? And how will he/she evaluate your performance to determine if you pass?

I know this does not solve your problem when traveling solo and needing a good buddy - one solution I have found that works is when arriving solo w/o a buddy I hire a private DM or guide so they are dedicated to diving with me. A DM who agrees to be your buddy on the boat still has other divers and guests that have to take care of and his/her attention will be split- that the job- one that is being paid to be your buddy only generally pays a bit more attention to you and your dive plan. In Asia I find hiring the local guy (who may not be a DM just a dive guide) who works at the shop gets you the best dives because these guys dive everyday and have been for years and know the reef better than the guy working the shop for a season or two before moving on.

I've had many "instabuddies" and nearly all of them were fine. I spent some time discussing what we expected of each other prior to jumping in. One exception was on a liveaboard and my assigned buddy told me, I'm a photographer and I'll be doing my own thing. All I ask of you is to enter the same ocean I do and stay out of my way". I spoke to the DM about it and he said he would be my buddy. Same thing you described with one exception. I made sure I was near to him every moment of every dive. "Near" meaning if I ran out of gas I could get to him before I began drowning. I mean if he is your buddy and you know he is the guide for everyone it is your responsibility to stay near him - otherwise you are the bad buddy.

Do you know how it works and how reliable it is?

J.
J.

The SCUBA Diving International ( SDI ) Solo cert. is perfect for you! You just need the training, proper gear and experience.

BTW, I love your profile pic.

My son-in-law is from Riga, maybe I'll get there one day.

Whatever the 1st rule is, under these circumstances it is highly probable to end up as a solo diver. It seems to me that a SDI Solo Diver certificate is a must-have to dive with tour operators and without your own buddy. How do you handle this problem?

I would highly recommend the SDI Solo class.

A couple of the "take away" points are: "Don't run out of air" and the planning that goes along with implementing this process, and "Always bring a redundant air source".

The second item might be a problem while on vacation, given the difficulty of traveling with a pony bottle, although if you don't mind some odd looks, it can be done quite easily with a spare 80, a regulator and a stage bottle strap (clips/rope/handle/hose clamp).

While on vacation with no redundant air source, I try to bring my regular buddy. If this isn't happening, I make absolutely certain that I adhere to rule #1, and dive with the attitude of "when it's time for me to go up, I go up, and the DM can go **** himself if he doesn't like it."

flots.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom