The Koi of Dutch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'll be a dead koi-fish. That's a heck of a story. Glad you're alright and were on top of your game symptom recognition-wise. Of course, the collapsing legs sign is hard to miss. Thanks for the write up. I'll have my wife read that as well as my instructor. I would never have thought the mild 60' depths at Dutch might give one cause for pause. And I'll have to say your dive profile is nothing remarkable - typical actually for a 60min dutch dive I'd think.

I know people are now poo-pooing coffee in the morning thing - the pendulum swings again. Call me superstitious, but I avoid it when diving (and flying), as hard as it is. I know I feel a huge difference between a double expresso vice a dunkin donuts vice a gatorade. It can't be just a caffeine/dehydration thing. Besides, I've never heard anyone having trouble after drinking a Coke....But I"m not going to try it anyway.

Wow the clarity is spectacular. Hope its the same this coming weekend as we're headed up. What part of Dutch is that? I've not seen that structure or staircase before....

Mitch, the staircase is on the same side of the quarry as the student entries. The best entry is over by the cement factory. If you get there early you can park near it, just drive past the student area parking. Last weekend the vis was the best I have ever seen, but the temp was 45 degress with no thermocline. I only made one 45 minute dive. Enjoy

Herb

Copy that Herb. I'm in the water this Sat and Sun with a class. Prolly be on the peninsula side if you're out that way. You up for some Mondays this year?

Mick

Copy that Herb. I'm in the water this Sat and Sun with a class. Prolly be on the peninsula side if you're out that way. You up for some Mondays this year?

Mick

Absolutely

I would never have thought the mild 60' depths at Dutch might give one cause for pause. And I'll have to say your dive profile is nothing remarkable - typical actually for a 60min dutch dive I'd think.

Yup, a "deserved undeserved" hit..! I still think that this was a bubble pumping thing. Yes, I didn't break NDL or have a crazy ascent rate, yes they are "just" safety stops. But the three ascents really do accumulate risk, since we all bubble on the way up...!

60 feet is MORE than enough for a chamber ride...

:)

Dive safe...

Great story. I always try to drink a liter of water while suiting up (mostly because I know how rapidly you lose water breathing off a bone dry tank of air). Your story certainly shows a potential down side of not reviewing the overall layout of a dive site. I hate doing surface pop-ups to check my bearings, but I guess your DCS hit illustrates a clinical reason to avoid them. Thanks for a really informative article.

Great story. I always try to drink a liter of water while suiting up (mostly because I know how rapidly you lose water breathing off a bone dry tank of air). Your story certainly shows a potential down side of not reviewing the overall layout of a dive site. I hate doing surface pop-ups to check my bearings, but I guess your DCS hit illustrates a clinical reason to avoid them. Thanks for a really informative article.

Sure...! That's the point of sharing, nothing like learning from a mistake... :)

---------- Post added May 11th, 2013 at 02:07 PM ----------

Shot a video that I like a lot more the following weekend:

[VIMEO]65945770[/VIMEO]

The pump house has always been my favorite spot. I'm going to use that location for my mapping project for DM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom