The Last Dive-Bernie Chowdhary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slugdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just read this book and loved it. Not, of course, because of the end result, but because the book is a complete history of diving.
Want to know who created the algorithms used in our computers? It is in there. Who invented the Edge computer(my first)? Dive tables, heli-ox tables, tri-mix.
While the book is a sad commentary on what not to do, it is at the same time a great history book.

Just read this book and loved it. Not, of course, because of the end result, but because the book is a complete history of diving.
Want to know who created the algorithms used in our computers? It is in there. Who invented the Edge computer(my first)? Dive tables, heli-ox tables, tri-mix.
While the book is a sad commentary on what not to do, it is at the same time a great history book.

I recall reading the book when it first came out. Fascinating story. then I passed it around to all the others divers I knew at NPS and they had pretty much the same reaction you did. You may find the Sealab book mentioned in this forum to be interested. I just finished the chapter that describes how the tables for deep diving were initially established by trial and error by a dedicated group of medical personnel and others. Pretty interesting stuff.

I am sorry Choudry never followed up this book. When I had seen him at the LA scuba show way back when, he said he had something in the idea bin but never saw a follow up.

On top of everything else, Bernie Chowdhury is a really decent sort. He would be happy to autograph that book if you ask...

Fantastic book and very well authored - I've heard some negatives about the "antics" of the people involved but always point out that these were the pioneers of what we now accept as Tech diving - they pushed the boundaries, knew they were pushing the boundaries but were overwhelmingly important in furthering our sport.

My copy suffered the same fate as cascas...

I think that was the first book about diving I read and could hardly put it down, and I don't think I got my copy back either.

I loved the book, too.
Recently read a good book called Descent Into Darkness. If you like history and diving, this one's good too. It's about Navy salvage divers at Pearl Harbor. Another true story.

You may have a point. My copy was purchased at a used book store. Now it is somewhere on one of my coworker's shelves, never to be seen again.

Back
Top Bottom