The Last Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NavyGreg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just finished reading "The Last Dive: A Father and Son's Fatal Descent Into the Ocean's Depths"
Excellent book!! It was a sad story to read, but it was interesting in that the book had a lot of background information on the evolution of sport diving as a whole with a great amount of detail on how cave/technical diving became what it is today.

If you enjoyed that you can also try reading Diving Into Darkness by Phillip Finch. It involes cave diving and CCR's

Or Decent into Darkness by Commander Edward C Raymer USN....About Navy hardhats, removing ordinance and the fallen on board the Arizona and others...

You should also read Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson. It's a book about the search to discover the identity of a World War II U-Boat. Along with the great historical information, you get a little more insight into the diving and personalities of Chris and Chrissy Rouse, who participated in one of the dives to U-869.

I agree. An excellent book that I think really described the very different approaches that cave divers and wreck divers have. It almost read like a well crafted sociology study about risk taking and motivations on one level, and a tragic story about a father-son dive team on a more human level. At the end one could not but help be sympathetic to the Rouses while it left you wondering "what were they thinking." My only regret about the book is that the author did not write another. This seems to have become one of the books that define a serious divers bookshelf.

It was one of a series of books that came out about that time on deep wreck diving that gave new insight to that type of diving, spawned an interest in tec diving for some, and led to a whole new equipment look for the rest of us, dictating that yard-long regulator hoses, backplates and wings, and wearing the mask on the back of the head while on the surface heretofore would be the only acceptable way to dive and become the definitive look for "cool" divers and scuba stylistas.

I agree. An excellent book ...................................

.............and wearing the mask on the back of the head while on the surface heretofore would be the only acceptable way to dive and become the definitive look for "cool" divers and scuba stylistas.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:Pffffffffffffffffffffft Key Board

I am reading The Last Dive right now. I just finished Shadow Divers a wonderful insight into the depths we seek. I love the reaction Richie shows when John shoes up with "Voodoo" gas.
I am finding great wreck history in Wreck Diving Magazine also.

I wonder what it is about diving tragedies that makes books so much more poignant? If Shadow Divers doesn't have the Rouses and Feldman, it is just a semi interesting story about trying to identify a previously unknown wreck. If David Shaw doesn't die in Bushman's Hole, then there is not much more interest in his story than there is in Nuno Gomez or Pascal Bernabe's record setting dives. Instead, Diving Into Darkness is a veritable classic.

I guess we are all just morbid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom